Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
God rules all!
6,209 Posts
Time for the 6.5mm?

It often occurrs to me why fight it? Just adopt an American version of the AK. It is certainly effective, rugged, virtually foolproof and more easily handled than the M-14 or any rifle built to handle the .308.

·
a.k.a. DaReaper
1,251 Posts
Let's face it. The military has been looking to replace the M16 weapon system since it was introduced. Aberdeen is constantly testing and evaluating new weapons. Besides, look how long it took them to replace the 1911.

·
AAAMAD
32,008 Posts
Probably because the AK, is a giant step in the wrong direction.

The Army is always looking to replace what it has with new improved stuff. This is just that. They\'ve got something that works, they\'re trying to find something that works better.

However the XM25 is not intended to replace every rifle in the squad, but rather give us options we don\'t have in the fire element.

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
I know the AR/M# has detractors and such, but I must say, after handling the other world "battle rifles", you won't get better ergonomics anywhere. The AK is a tank. . . but the controls suck. And an HK-style (G3, FAL, etc.,) means a complete removal of your hand from the pistol grip to actuate the safety.

Stay with the platform, upgrade it. Maybe a Sig556 in 6.5??? Nah, too radical!

Oh, and this crap has been going on for years. Good luck changing. But a 556-styled weapon may be teh best alternative. (Downside is add'l weight. But that's gonna happen with a platform change no matter what.)

·
Banned
903 Posts
Sig just introduced a 556 chambered in 7.62x39 that takes standard AK mags.

I know the AR/M# has detractors and such, but I must say, after handling the other world "battle rifles", you won't get better ergonomics anywhere. The AK is a tank. . . but the controls suck. And an HK-style (G3, FAL, etc.,) means a complete removal of your hand from the pistol grip to actuate the safety.

Stay with the platform, upgrade it. Maybe a Sig556 in 6.5??? Nah, too radical!

Oh, and this crap has been going on for years. Good luck changing. But a 556-styled weapon may be teh best alternative. (Downside is add'l weight. But that's gonna happen with a platform change no matter what.)

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
M4 is good enough for most. It would be better to spend the money on ensuring that all Soldier has an M4 instead of having them carry around the M16A2.

I remember driving around Kabul in an Ford Everest with a single M16A2 rifle as my protection. That weapon wasn't very practical to use as protection while operating an unarmored SUV. Dear Mr. Taliban please hold while I try to get my rifle into a good position.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Army Looking to Replace M4 Carbine
again? what is this , the 5th time?

·
Timber Baron
4,157 Posts
need to revert back to the Garand. The taliwackers would drop turds in their panties.

·
Banned
903 Posts
Even an M4 would probably be too cumbersome. As a single person driving around in an SUV you'd probably be better off with a Colt Commando or some other PDW-style weapon that you could keep in your lap.

M4 is good enough for most. It would be better to spend the money on ensuring that all Soldier has an M4 instead of having them carry around the M16A2.

I remember driving around Kabul in an Ford Everest with a single M16A2 rifle as my protection. That weapon wasn't very practical to use as protection while operating an unarmored SUV. Dear Mr. Taliban please hold while I try to get my rifle into a good position.

·
Banned
3,163 Posts

Your observations would probably change if you were in the Korengal Valley, humping up Sawtalo Sar, and taking RPK fire from 500 yards away from a camouflaged postion.

Different situations call for different weapon attributes. The SCAR rifles, with their ability to change from 10", to 16", to 20" barrels, with models in both 5.56 and 7.62x51, are currently being used by SOCOM forces in Afghanistan.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
Your observations would probably change if you were in the Korengal Valley, humping up Sawtalo Sar, and taking RPK fire from 500 yards away from a camouflaged postion.

Different situations call for different weapon attributes. The SCAR rifles, with their ability to change from 10", to 16", to 20" barrels, with models in both 5.56 and 7.62x51, are currently being used by SOCOM forces in Afghanistan.
I believe that USSOCOM is only buying the 7.62x51mm models now. The 5.56 didnt offer enough advantage over the M4 to purchase.

·
Banned
3,163 Posts
I believe that USSOCOM is only buying the 7.62x51mm models now. The 5.56 didnt offer enough advantage over the M4 to purchase.
I'm pretty sure you're right. The 5.56s were traded back in for the 7.62s due to the engagement distances in Afghanistan. I'd still guess that some of the real high speed types are using the 5.56s for when they don't expect to get into long distance fights.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My vote goes to Barettas new rifle that came out at Shot Show, nutin fancy has a good shot show vid about it and I was pretty impressed.

·
Banned
5,471 Posts
To rip off Commandant Al Gray, why we never just copied the AK is a mystery to me...

·
GUNS=FREEDOM
2,685 Posts
What's the name of that gun that Swiss adults keep in their homes?

·
Simply Charming
4,883 Posts
Glock Carbine in 10mm for the win... :)

Or give everyone a Barrett and train them to quick-scope like in MW2!!!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts