close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Army flying question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr. Mysterious, May 29, 2004.

1. Mr. Mysterious

Mr. Mysterious

Hey everyone, just some background...

I was an E5 11b Light infantry...going to school now and in ROTC. In the Indiana National Guard I can get a guaranteed flight slot when I commission as long as I pass the flight test (passed it) and pass the flight physical (this summer). What can I expect from the flight physical from those of you that have took it or know someone that has taken it.

Thanks, just trying to be prepared and trying to put the rumors to rest.

Jason

2. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

You have to pass an Army Class I flight physical. It includes vision, hearing, blood work, EKG, and a few more tests. If you are generally healthy and have reasonably good vision (I'm uncertan of the exact requirements), good hearing, you should pass with no problem. You'll also have a doctor's exam with various checks, pokes, and prods. The first physical is the most detailed. Good luck. Let us know when you get a start date.

3. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Your anthropomorphic measurements will also be taken. Are you more than about 6'4" or do you have unusually long arms or legs? Important for ejection seat aircraft; I'm not sure about choppers. The vision test is comprehensive. I was 20/15 left and 20/20 right but failed for pilot because I'm astigmatic (vision in certain planes is less than overall). They'll check depth perception, night vision, and color vision as well. They'll use drops to dialate your pupils and test your vision that way, since seeing through small aperatures produces sharper vision.

Best advice for the physical is to get plenty of rest the night before and be well hydrated, both are good for the body and especially the eyes.

4. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Pick the Doc with the smallest knuckles. ;P

Don't worry, you'll get used to it after a few years.

5. Mr. Mysterious

Mr. Mysterious

So they really do the prostate exam then... sounds like fun.

The only thing that may gig me is my height since I'm 6'4", but we'll see. I'm not sure how stringent they are on hearing also...I know that I haven't shot in ~3 weeks so that I don't have that as a reason to fail.

6. BNSF

BNSF 228th suxs big

Only if the doc has a trigger finger....;e

7. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Just don’t pull the stunt that my roommate at Mother Rucker did. When the Doc told him to bend over and spread his cheeks, he did for a second, then stood back up, turned from the waist to look at the Doc, and, with this manic look on his face, growled, “I like this part!!”