close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Army Flex-Fuel

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SC Tiger, May 31, 2012.

1. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

The ethanol got me thinking about an old Army truck type that my dad used to talk about - I think. He said that when he was in the Army they ran trucks that could burn either gasoline or diesel, but with one of the fuels you had to add oil to the fuel (can't remember which one). Am I remembering this right? I wonder if anyone has tried this technology in a passenger car.

I know the M1A1 tank can use multiple fuel types but it's a turbine. I got the impression that this was a piston engine.

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

Way back in the mid 70s, we had Flex Fuel Deuce and a half trucks. I loved those things. They ran best on a mixture of diesel and gas.

3. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

That's what I was thinking. One question I had was if you could run it on a mixed tank.

The M1A1 supposedly has a knob you turn to run different fuels. I always wondered what you were supposed to do if you had a quarter tank of diesel, and then topped up with jet fuel.

Then what happens when you get to a quarter-tank of that mix and you dump in gasoline.

Chrysler made a turbine car that would run on anything from salad oil to jet fuel. They even ran one on tequila.

4. vart

vart

The EPA would not allow such an engine today... The computer controls and emissions equipment required to make it EPA approved would be impossible...

5. Breadman03

Breadman03

I believe the engine in the deuce was called the Continental Multifuel.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  6. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

A guy at work drives a Deuce and a Half.
    I was giving him a hard time about fuel mileage and he says "it runs on waste oil".
    I'm thinking about Bio-Diesel, but realize he said "oil".
    I ask "like engine oil?" He says "yeah".
    I tell him that I have 5 gal jugs of oil, at home all the time (6 vehicles), does he want them. He said "yeah, just pour it in the tank.
    I said I was too skeptical to pour oil in somebody's fuel tank. Now, after changing my cars' oil, I bring it to work, in the 5 gal jugs and put them on the step of his Deuce and a Half.
    Too crazy.

7. kiole

kiole

On old flex fuel diesels I believe they could run on diesel, gasoline, jet fuel, motor oil, hydraulic oil, tranny oil or veggie oil.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  8. Fox184

Fox184

Fuel oil and kerosene as well.

9. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

I would feel like beast if I rolled up to work every morning in a deuce and a half! holy crap, but what does he do when he can't find old oil?

10. kiole

kiole

I'm guessing he puts diesel, gas or kerosene in it.