Army Aviation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlocknAK, Apr 22, 2005.

1. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

Any WOs or CWOs on here that had corrective eye surgery to qualify for an Army flight physical?

I'm a SPC in the USAR about to make my E5. My civilian job is with a regional airline. I hold an ATP w/3000 hrs of fixed wing time. I am near sighted, correctable to 20/20 with a VERY minor astigmatism. Without surgery I do not qualify for a class 1 flight physical.

I have talked to a LOT of people (E4 to O6), but nobody seems to be able to steer me the right way. I'm going to go see another recruiter today and see if he/she can tell me anything. If I can't find anything out soon, I'm just going to put in my packet for WOCS and go take the physical. Then when I bomb the eye exam, see where it goes from there.

Before I go that route though, I was wondering if anybody on here had any better ideas.

If somebody thinks this would do better on the Vets Forum, please feel free to move it. Thanks

2. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

I have had a couple of students over the last 2 or 3 years who's eyes were corrrected with surgery to qualify for flight school. Unfortunately, I do not know the details of how they went about obtaining the surgery. I will ask among our current class to see if anyone had the surgery, and what process they used.

3. dozing4dollars

dozing4dollars Plasticized ! CLM

Find a Flight Surgeon in an ARNG/Reserve unit who can research the reg and get you an "unofficial" answer back before you offically apply...

A Recruiter MAY or MAY NOT get you the right answer....go to the right source-a flying doc in a Guard/Res unit.

Hint: Do NOT talk to an active duty FS...as a Reservist I would be more comfortable talking to a Reserve/Guard FS.Call the USAR/ARNG Hq Flight Surgeon's office if need be.

Call me paranoid! Do NOT give them any identifying info when you talk to them-particularly the AD Army guys. ;f

4. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

Thanks for the replies. I happened to drive past a recruiting station here in town, and figured what the he!!?

I asked the USAR recruiter, and he was sure that I would be okay as long as I'm correctable to 20/20. Now, this runs contrary to everything I've ever been told, but until I get shot down again I'm going to pursue it. I am pretty skeptical though. It isn't that I think that this SSG doesn't know his job, but there are just too many regulations out there for all of the enlisted MOSs, WOMOSs and commisioned branchs to know them all. The SSG that I talked to was very helpfull and I at least got another name and number to call and ask questions. Of course, I've done that for the last four years, and I haven't gotten any further than this.

TimC, I sent you a PM with a couple more questions and my ako e-mail in it if you find anything that you don't want to post on a message board. Thanks for the help Sir.

HOOOOOAAAHH !!!

5. CaptainOveur

CaptainOveur

You should be talking to other WOs and Officers, not to SSGs and enlisted. The enlisted guys usually handle enlistments, and while they know that stuff, they don't know much about officer programs and WO stuff. You need to be very carefull as stated above. I forget the regs, but I could have flown for the Army as a helo pilot, or even had my eyes corrected 100% and flown for them. I do know that there is a limit to how bad your vision can be uncorrected. Unfortunatly the army doesn't really have any airplanes (and airplanes are what I want).

I've recently gone through the process of applying to Navy OCS as a Flight Officer (backseat guy). One thing I picked up is that you need to be talking to someone that knows the stuff, and the enlisted guys don't seem to know this sort of stuff. They know how to handle a lot of the paperwork and proceedural stuff in their office, but you need to be talking to the flight surgeon or looking at the regulations (which are online in a few places). If the enlisted guys can direct you to people that DO know what is going on, then that is great, but you want to see stuff in writing.

6. Jimmey

Jimmey

Wayefront is a new type of surgery, that can correct the vision to 20/20 some better

7. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

I've heard a little bit about the new surgery, but not much. I understand that it is supposed to eliminate some of the side effects that some of the other surgeries can cause. The only problem is that from what I understand, only LASIK is authorized for the Army program. Anything else is supposed to be an automatic DQ.

I don't know about the other services, but I think that the Air Force or Navy authorizes PRK.

As for talking to WO aviators, that's why I asked if anybody on here is one. I also went to the recruiters because they do bring people in under the program, and the only WO I know is now retired. I did get the name and number for a CW5 from the recuiter, and he is in charge of making goal on WO recruit numbers. I'm thinking he is the man to talk to around here, so it shouldn't be a total loss. Hopefully he can point me to a flight surgeon or the exact part of the regs that say yes or no.

I'm not really sure why I need to be carefull who I talk to. I'm all ready enlisted. The Army has given me three sets of corrective lenses (don't you love those things? :) ), so they know that my eyes suck. The "worst" thing that can happen is that I stay enlisted as an MP. I was gonna do that for at least 20 years anyway :)

Thanks guys.

8. tReznr

tReznr

I'm an active duty Marine Sergeant in the process of putting together an Army WO aviator packet. I had PRK surgery performed last summer at the Naval Hospital at Camp Lejune, NC. PRK IS NOT A DISQUALIFYING SURGERY. I now have 20/20 vision, as opposed to the horrendous short-sightedness I had before.

I passed the Army flight phyiscal with no problems. Note that I did need to get a waiver from Fort Rucker since I'd had eye surgery (which took about 3 months before I heard anything back from Mother Rucker). Still working on getting a conditional release from headquarters Marine Corps, but once I have that I'll be able to submit my WO packet to the Army.

Your best bet is to get in contact with an Army flight surgeon for the latest medical info. If you need help with that, PM me and I can get you the phone number for the flight surgeon at Fort Hunter where I had my flight physical done (down here in Savanah, GA).

9. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

Appreciate the response tReznr. I sent you a PM, I think, my computer is dorkin up on me. Let me know if you didn't get it and I'll try it agian.

Thanks for setting me straight about PRK sergeant. That sounds promising. Anxiously awaiting your reply :cool: