Glock Talk banner

Army’s Hollow Point Ammo Switch Will (Or Should) End the Caliber Debate

3623 54
Combat Medic: Army’s Hollow Point Ammo Switch Will (Or Should) End the Caliber Debate
By Jon Wayne Taylor on July 9, 2015

It appears that the US Army has finally decided to start using hollow point ammunition for the general issues service pistol. When RF called me and told me that, I was highly doubtful. But by all accounts, (and you heard it on TTAG first folks) this is the real deal.

The standard 9X19NATO round nosed FMJ is now, and has always been, a grossly inadequate handgun round for combat.

With the expansion capabilities of modern bullets, the 9mm round can now equal wound characteristics similar to the .45ACP, but still carry more rounds with less recoil.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...switch-will-or-should-end-the-caliber-debate/
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Banned
21,063 Posts
Combat Medic: Army’s Hollow Point Ammo Switch Will (Or Should) End the Caliber Debate

It appears that the US Army has finally decided to start using hollow point ammunition for the general issues service pistol. When RF called me and told me that, I was highly doubtful. But by all accounts, (and you heard it on TTAG first folks) this is the real deal.

The standard 9X19NATO round nosed FMJ is now, and has always been, a grossly inadequate handgun round for combat.

With the expansion capabilities of modern bullets, the 9mm round can now equal wound characteristics similar to the .45ACP, but still carry more rounds with less recoil.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...switch-will-or-should-end-the-caliber-debate/
Who would think that in today's PC attitudes that the US Army would dare to use HP ammo?!

· Registered
40,383 Posts
You're thinking of the Hague Convention (1899).
Which wouldn't apply to fighting non state terrorists. Pretty sure Isis never signed The Hague.:whistling:

Reactions: LarryNC and SJ 40

· Cuhootnified Roamer
11,867 Posts
Which wouldn't apply to fighting non state terrorists. Pretty sure Isis never signed The Hague.:whistling:
Neither did the U.S.

· Banned
2,861 Posts
You mean the same outfit that ended the Rifle/Caliber debate when they ditched the M14/ 7.62mm...

...for the charming li'l M16/.5.56mm...?

Fascinating...

Nutter

· Registered
3,246 Posts
I have posted this opinion on another forum... But, allow me to repeat.

There is no high technology involved in the production and loading of hollow point ammunition.

If the U.S. adopts the wide spread use of H.P. ammo, it is only natural that our enemies will do likewise.

It is not that ISIS will adopt the ammo that concerns me...

It is the future, where we could possibly come into conflict with nations such as Iran or North Korea.

Once we find it reasonable to break a long held rule of conduct, why would our enemies hesitate.

Those same more effective and devastating wounds will also be coming home on our soldiers.

This could very well become a "slippery slope".

· Registered
40,383 Posts
I have posted this opinion on another forum... But, allow me to repeat.

There is no high technology involved in the production and loading of hollow point ammunition.

If the U.S. adopts the wide spread use of H.P. ammo, it is only natural that our enemies will do likewise.

It is not that ISIS will adopt the ammo that concerns me...

It is the future, where we could possibly come into conflict with nations such as Iran or North Korea.

Once we find it reasonable to break a long held rule of conduct, why would our enemies hesitate.

Those same more effective and devastating wounds will also be coming home on our soldiers.

This could very well become a "slippery slope".
We have been using hp ammo in the Middle East. The sniper units have been using smk for quite some time. The entire hp argument is stupid considering the use of ied, cluster bombs, flame throwers, nukes, hp seem pretty normal.

· Registered
3,246 Posts
We have been using hp ammo in the Middle East. The sniper units have been using smk for quite some time. The entire hp argument is stupid considering the use of ied, cluster bombs, flame throwers, nukes, hp seem pretty normal.

This is exactly correct.

J.H.P's have been in use only on a limited basis by Snipers.

I am concerned about the "wide spread" use by infantry units and such.

I am simply trying to say... Look at the possible future implications.

Consider an extreme example.

Early on in the Afghan war, the Taliban held up in caves.

Would anyone have advocated for the use of poison gas to eliminate the hide outs.

No.... Why...The ramifications were simply too great.

Simply sit back, give it some thought, and consider when the U.S. soldier becomes the recipient of exactly this type of projectile.

Lethality on our enemies is not really at question, we certainly are capable of killing them, so why open a can of worms.

If lethality (particularly handguns) is an issue...

A less controversial answer already exists.

Pull the 9mm, and reissue .45's.

· Banned
8,024 Posts
Wide Nose Hard Cast. I would personally rather use those than HP's, FMJ or Expanding FMJ. 135-140 gr. (9mm) loaded to NATO pressure with the widest meplat that will feed reliably. Same type bullet on the heavy side for any handgun caliber in a war zone.

Reactions: Walkingwolf

· Registered
40,383 Posts
They could certainly redesign the FMJ to make it more effective. A flat, slightly cupped meplat does a much better job on flesh than a rn.
As to what our enemies use against us, they are already committing havoc using IED, not exactly cricket. They will also not be opposed to using poison or dirty bombs if they feel it serves their purpose. Perspective is one thing but fighting a war with only one side abiding by rules of decency is little too PC for me. Win, that's all. The rest will sort itself out.

Reactions: timmay

· Gospel Carrier
533 Posts
Aren't HPs against the Geneva convention?
The US is not, nor has ever been, a signatory to the Hague Convention. JHP is "legal," and a better fit, when trying to equate a pistol to a carbine, shotgun, or rifle. Different tools, for different tasks... There are times when a pistol is superior to other firearms, and *shudder*, a properly used and applied blade, to a firearm...

Our Spec Ops personnel have used JHPs for years. Due to the "moral outrage" of ignorant civilians and bureaucrats, it's always better to ask forgiveness, than ask permission... Too, why bother confusing idiots with facts?

Don't kiss 'em- kill 'em.

· Registered
9,501 Posts

Not sure how the army going to hollow points will end any caliber debates, civilians have had hollow points for a long time but continue to "debate" and we still don't know which caliber the army will adopt. The debate will not stop as long as there are fan boys with nothing else to do!

· Registered
9,501 Posts
They could certainly redesign the FMJ to make it more effective. A flat, slightly cupped meplat does a much better job on flesh than a rn.
As to what our enemies use against us, they are already committing havoc using IED, not exactly cricket. They will also not be opposed to using poison or dirty bombs if they feel it serves their purpose. Perspective is one thing but fighting a war with only one side abiding by rules of decency is little too PC for me. Win, that's all. The rest will sort itself out.
You have described the Lehigh Extreme Penetrator round, it makes the fmj round totally obsolete for SD purposes and IMHO would be better for the military than a hollow point because of its superior penetrating ability! The larger size of the .40 with the superiority of this bullet would make it an excellent military round!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.