Armslist is No Longer Free

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Kalmah, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Yes, it will definitely drop the pool of potential buyers. And AL chose a rather poor time to implement this self-defeating strategy. Why would anyone pay to ask a question on a pistol that is currently 2X the price of what is available at the gun shop? Particularly when many folks have access to free B/S/T sites locally. Good luck to AL but I don't see them prospering in the long term.

RightNYer likes this.
  2. RightNYer

RightNYer

Exactly. That's especially true in states with private sale background check requirements. I recently overpaid for a Glock 19 Gen5 Front Serrations on Armslist because a) I really wanted it and b) because FDLE has taken up to 36 hours for some checks lately. I don't have the time to go to my FFL twice, so paying the "new" price for a "like new" used gun was worth it to me.

But for other states, who is going to pay to ask questions, especially when you have to go to an FFL to make the sale anyway?

Deputydave likes this.

3. RightNYer

RightNYer

On a side note, nobody should be using your real cell phone # on Craigslist/Armslist or anything like that. I use Google Voice. You basically get a fake cell # that forwards to your real number. You can block scammers or other people who start harassing you, and worse comes to worst, you can pay Google $10 to get a new number.

4. MD357

MD357

You relayed that people don't pay to look at firearms, I proved that they did.

No matter what way it is spun, people still pay to look at guns for sale and have for quite some time. In fact, the largest gunshow in the world takes place in my backyard and people spend all kinds of money getting here. Sure it's entertaining, but I think a lot of guys get entertainment value in browsing online too. You could easily spend hours doing so.

If I see something rare on there, it's probably not going to be cheap. Yeah, I'd pay $7 to ask a question if I wanted it bad enough. A glock 19? Probably not, but what am I going to really ask about it in most cases anyways? In the end maybe they do lose 90%, maybe they lose 50% and are comfy with that. Like I said, don't use them.

5. narkcop128

narkcop128

Many here are glossing over that AL wants a monthly fee. I don't mind paying for something I use but paying $7 a month is crazy talk.

Deputydave and RightNYer like this.
  6. RightNYer

RightNYer

Seriously. That's only a few dollars less than Netflix. Not to mention that we'll lose almost all potential buyers, and end up paying to list our items to an empty audience.

0311INF and Deputydave like this.
  7. CladderPup

CladderPup

First, it's not $7. It's $4. Why would you pay that much more to use a credit card when you can just do an e-check? Second, it's not a monthly fee if you use it right. Most users of the site only buy or sell one or two guns a year. Pay for the month you want to use it when you've got a gun to sell, and then cancel your "subscription."

I am a member of several forums that have a pay-to-access gear swap section. Often they are set up so you can have access to a gimped version of the gear swap (post one listing a week sort of thing and pay to list more), or it's set up so the site admins request a 1% voluntarily paid donation from your sale, or they have a monthly subscription but you can buy single months and not renew. For the paid access gear swaps that I'm familiar with, it's usually worth it. That said, requiring buyers to pay just to message a seller is completely ridiculous and will hamstring the business model.

I don't like the idea of Armslist charging money to use it, but I think it will encourage people to seek alternatives. In various markets, there already are viable alternatives. Utah has utahgunexchange, which is better in about every way. I think people in other states will probably find or found similar sites, and previous armslist users will flock to them.

8. narkcop128

narkcop128

Ever had a gym membership on a monthly pay basis and then try to cancel it? Obviously not.

RightNYer likes this.
  9. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

This may well be the death knell got Armslist...

Deputydave likes this.
  10. MD357

MD357

While I agree with you on most of this. I get why people won't do ACH payments. Giving up your banking info is less secure and offers less protection than a CC.

Sharkey likes this.
  11. RightNYer

RightNYer

Because there's no way I'm giving my bank info and authorizing an ACH transfer to some random online service. It's one thing when I give Chase or Florida Power & Light, both heavily regulated entities, the authorization to draw from my account, but quite another to give some online service that authorization. What if they draw $4,000 instead of $4? Sure, I can dispute it, saying it was unauthorized, but I still have a lot of headaches in the meantime.

Deputydave likes this.
  12. CladderPup

CladderPup

Not an argument.

13. Sharkey

Sharkey

Looking for a CZ clone and I tried to surf Armslist last night. I got multiple warnings that my info was not secure and a privacy error? I just went to TX gun trader.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Deputydave likes this.
  14. RightNYer

RightNYer

I can already see where I live that the rate of new postings on Armslist has dropped like a rock.

Sharkey likes this.
  15. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

This will be the death of armslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. narkcop128

narkcop128

Planet Fitness tried similiar BS with masks. After 3 days of cancellations they reversed course in an emergency meeting. I bet AL has some business school graduate with an advanced degree ruining them just like Planet Fitness did.

17. picrthis

picrthis

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    AL is garbage anyways. I don’t understand why anyone would use them over guns international to start with.

19. narkcop128

narkcop128

No one in my neck of the woods uses guns international.

20. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Garbage how?

Where I live, AL is quite popular with well over 1000 listings in my town alone. I've used it regularly for years. I've never heard of guns international.

Sharkey likes this.