GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
See, another person being with them doesn't bother me at all if it's in a crowded Walmart parking lot, and that's the only type of place I'm willing to meet anyway.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
AL charging sellers to use their site is one thing, but I disagree with charging someone to respond to the ad. That's a little much. As far as Florida Gun Trader, I've used that one as well successfully. Just as many scammers but their easy to spot and ignore.

·
Registered
327 Posts
AL charging sellers to use their site is one thing, but I disagree with charging someone to respond to the ad. That's a little much. As far as Florida Gun Trader, I've used that one as well successfully. Just as many scammers but their easy to spot and ignore.
Right, that's what's going to make Armslist die. People won't pay to respond to ads, and without a pool of buyers, no one will pay to list either.

It's incredibly shortsighted.

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,375 Posts
I meet at my indoor shooting range. They have cameras everywhere and armed, trained employees. If someone doesn’t want to meet me there, no transaction takes place.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
I added two favorites last night and then log in today to call about one of them and find I can no longer access it. Kinda of a *ick move by Armslist but whatever. I found what I needed. Not gonna pay $4/mo. just to look for a bargain a couple times a year.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I added two favorites last night and then log in today to call about one of them and find I can no longer access it. Kinda of a *ick move by Armslist but whatever. I found what I needed. Not gonna pay $4/mo. just to look for a bargain a couple times a year.
It’s really $7 a month because no way in hell I’m going to give these guys direct access to my bank account.

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,570 Posts
to be honest, I didnt like armslist at all. first, lots of scammers. second, they didnt make it very good to search. It has a very awkward and not very specific way to search.
I feel the same way.

·
Rational
14,229 Posts
I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish with this. I just sold a car using Craigslist, and I had to pay twice for the ad. I got probably 5 scammers trying to do me dirty, and two flakes, or potential scammers on top of that.

It was so bad that I had to actually type a specific list of rules in the ad for what I would respond to. And some clown 260 miles away....supposedly.....still managed to text me, despite this.

If my experience with Craigslist is any indication, then I don't think this is going to work very well for Armslist.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,065 Posts
They got tired of all the fake ads pissing the advertisers off. Craigslist did that with car ads only last year, but the other ads are still free

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have used AL to buy and sell very often. I'm not opposed to paying a small non recurring fee for each transaction but no way a monthly fee. They have cut their own throat.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Has it gone into effect? I just logged in to Armslist to check out what they said and it opened right up.

·
Rational
14,229 Posts
They got tired of all the fake ads pissing the advertisers off. Craigslist did that with car ads only last year, but the other ads are still free
Not in our area. If you want to post ANYTHING on CL, you HAVE to pay.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Damn AL for charging for a service they provide..... it's like they think this is America or something.

If anything it will likely clean it up. Hell I'd pay $7 all day long to get access to more sophisticated buyers if I had multiple guns to sell. Never used them much anyways previously due to the crazy scam emails you'd get. Either way, if people don't like it, they can sell on the forums or gunshows.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Damn AL for charging for a service they provide..... it's like they think this is America or something.

If anything it will likely clean it up. Hell I'd pay $7 all day long to get access to a more sophisticated buyer.

Either way, if people don't like it, they can sell on the forums or gunshows.
Totally missing the point. I don't think most people have a problem with paying to list or sell. But the new model requires a paid account to ASK QUESTIONS as a buyer. Imagine if you had to pay to see houses or cars you were considering buying. Sale volume would drop like a rock.

Again, I have no issue paying $50/year to sell on Armslist. But I also recognize that most buyers WON'T pay, and thus, even if I'm willing to pay to sell, the pool of available buyers will be so drastically reduced that I won't realistically be able to sell anything.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Totally missing the point. I don't think most people have a problem with paying to list or sell. But the new model requires a paid account to ASK QUESTIONS as a buyer. Imagine if you had to pay to see houses or cars you were considering buying. Sale volume would drop like a rock.

Again, I have no issue paying $50/year to sell on Armslist. But I also recognize that most buyers WON'T pay, and thus, even if I'm willing to pay to sell, the pool of available buyers will be so drastically reduced that I won't realistically be able to sell anything.
Interesting. So you're saying nobody ever paid to get into a gunshow? Funny...last one I went to was like $15 and the selection SUCKED compared to AL. Seems YOU might be missing the point that said process might help reduce the scammers and tire kickers and I accept that. Don't like it? I get it.... don't use it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
>>I've been using Armslist on a regular basis for years. Can't say I've ever had a problem with scammers<<

Yup, same here.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Interesting. So you're saying nobody ever paid to get into a gunshow? Funny...last one I went to was like $15 and the selection SUCKED compared to AL. Seems YOU might be missing the point that said process might help reduce the scammers and tire kickers and I accept that. Don't like it? I get it.... don't use it.
The Internet is a very different beast. For example, outside of the NY Times and the WSJ, people aren't willing to pay for news, even though they really like news. That's also true for content like Youtube videos, FB, Instagram, and so forth.

People are willing to pay to get into a gun show because they see it as an activity, something to do, no different than paying to see a movie or going to a ball game (although where I live, the gun shows are $7 or $8, not $15). But suppose someone is looking for a specific, somewhat obscure rifle. Someone has one for sale, but he wants to know which manufacturing batch it was in. Is that person going to pay $7 (I don't think most people will be willing to hand over their bank account info to save the money) to ask one question? What if the answer is that the rifle isn't what he's looking for? Will he get the monthly fee back? Of course not.

While the gun show fee gives you a few hours of entertainment/something to do, this $7 monthly fee does not.

I'd be floored if the potential buyer pool DOESN'T drop by 90% because of this. Will it reduce scammers? Most certainly. But it'll also reduce the legitimate pool of buyers, making it much less attractive for sellers too.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts