·
Registered
89 Posts
The reason Armslist "blurred" the private ads was because
the private sellers were putting their contact info in their
description, which negated the need to use the "contact"
feature, which requires a paid membership to contact
private sellers.

Also, in the past several years (before the paid memberships)
I made numerous deals (buying / selling there); it was pretty
good, I thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hey all.

Just came from Armslist. It was one of my favorite gun listing site. I head over and want to look for used Remington 870’s and see prices and what’s available. The results pop up and I see the listing price is blurred out with a message telling me “Log in to see price.” I click on the listing and ALL info about the listing is also blurred out. They have the same message about logging in to see details.

I thought “no big deal, I’ll get an account.” I had one cause I’ve contacted sellers on the site before but now it doesn’t recognize any of my email addresses.

When I go to start a new account I see that a basic account is now $6.99 per month. I didn’t start a new account.

Sad to see stuff like this happen. I wish the site good luck.

Anyone joined up and paying to see the listings?
Armslist has been dead for years. Trying to become gunbroker without the customer base will be the final nail in coffin for them

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Yeah and I almost figure it will back fire on them. I know every buyer on that site is a CAMF’ERso I can’t imagine they will pay it to even look at ads. I imagine armslist did that because people weee just putting their phone number in the ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think this will limit their users to professional gun buyers and sellers.
It may turn out to really hurt them.
Where will meth head convicted felons sell and buy their guns..

Of course I say that, but I've bought and sold there myself!
But the desperation and general scumbaggery of the clientele is hard to pretend not to see

·
Know-It-All
2,534 Posts
Sorry to see it. It's a shame the guys who gave us Backpage weren't just interested in legit ads. That was a great place to buy & sell.

·
Registered
17,140 Posts
I will say that Armslist charging a fee to look at their website is no different than promoters charging a fee to walk in the door of a gun show. That is one of the reasons that I have not been to a gun show in many, many years...

The big difference is I get entertainment just walking around a gun show. I can pick up and handle a gun I am interested in.

In other words, I see value an paying to go into a gun show.

An online listing service should charge the sellers a fee to list their item for sale and let anyone browse the items for sale. Just like the old classifieds in the newspaper.

Reactions: Ebb27

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The belief that charging a fee to use the site will get rid of or weed out the scammers or scumbags is just ignorant. Sure, some of those people will leave, but those that are bent on scamming or selling overpriced stuff will gladly pay the $7 per month to continue to do so.

The same thing happened to a traditional archery forum I used to go to all the time. They had a fantastic classified section and a few people got nailed by a scumbag that listed a rare Bear recurve with a fantastic price. He had nice pics, great description, everything. It was all a scam. He got 2-3 people on it. They complained, as I would too, and they changed the classified section to a pay system where it was like $35 a year. Their reasoning was that it would get rid of the scammers. It’s just plain dumb. That thinking doesn’t even make common sense.

That happened several years ago. It’s still that way now.

·
Registered
32,386 Posts
$7 per month will mean nothing to scammers. In fact it may help as it gives them an air of legitimacy. They only need one successful scam.

Ratings, reviews, and feedback are how you weed out scammers, not a small monthly fee.

·
Supreme Member
4,027 Posts
$7 per month will mean nothing to scammers. In fact it may help as it gives them an air of legitimacy. They only need one successful scam.

Ratings, reviews, and feedback are how you weed out scammers, not a small monthly fee.
Armslist is meant to be used for local, face-to-face transactions only. Scamming is much more difficult with FTF transactions.

The problem is people who use Armslist in a way it wasn't intended to be used - long distance transactions. They don't follow the Armslist rules, then cry and blame Armslist when they end up getting scammed.

If people would use Armslist the way it was intended, scammers would never have been a significant problem.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts