Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

Just came from Armslist. It was one of my favorite gun listing site. I head over and want to look for used Remington 870’s and see prices and what’s available. The results pop up and I see the listing price is blurred out with a message telling me “Log in to see price.” I click on the listing and ALL info about the listing is also blurred out. They have the same message about logging in to see details.

I thought “no big deal, I’ll get an account.” I had one cause I’ve contacted sellers on the site before but now it doesn’t recognize any of my email addresses.

When I go to start a new account I see that a basic account is now $6.99 per month. I didn’t start a new account.

Sad to see stuff like this happen. I wish the site good luck.

Anyone joined up and paying to see the listings?

Reactions: CAcop and FullClip

·
Supreme Member
4,008 Posts
If you don't have a paid account, you can't read the product description or see the price on any private party ad. But, you are able to see ads in their entirety that are posted by vendors.

In other words... You have to pay to browse private party ads, but vendor ads you can browse for free. Not many people are going to pay to browse, so private sellers are pretty much s**t outta luck on Armslist now.

Armslist really seems to be trying to discourage private sellers. They've basically become nothing more than an advertising forum for local retailers.

Reactions: CAcop

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I've not used the site for a good while, and certainly not since the change to paid membership.
I recall perhaps 4 times or more the number of listings back in the free to use days. Now I understand monetization of a product, but honestly the days of paid memberships on the internet are long over.

·
M62/76
12,943 Posts
$7/month to peruse the daily scams??

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
"Welcome to the NEW Armslist.com. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we have had to move forward and take the site in a slightly different direction. Fortunately, despite this, we are working hard to make the site MUCH better for law abiding Americans, and MUCH worse for those that are not law abiding Americans. Scammers have tried to prey upon Armslist users in the past, and while we may not eradicate their presence 100%, we will eradicate the vast majority. People have complained of impolite offers and communications from users with bad manners. That will be nearly eradicated with the new version of the site. And lastly, the financial, emotional, human, and other costs of the never-ending legal assaults on Armslist have made it impossible for us to keep the site free in the way it was in the past. Thank you for your support, and welcome to the new Armslist.com."

·
Old timer
15,105 Posts
Honestly? I'll pay it. I think the pricing strategy will tone down the hoodrats and the lowballers. I think they could accomplish the same with $4.99, but...

·
Supreme Member
4,008 Posts
Don't know what problems some have had with Armslist, but I had great luck with it. I did a lot - A LOT - of buying, selling, and trading on it over the last nine or ten years.

I'm sorry to see Armslist cut their own throat with their paid account requirement. Making people pay to even browse the ads will significantly cut down on the number of people who visit the site. With significantly fewer people visiting the site, it's really not worth it for sellers to pay for an account and post an ad.

Armslist is going to dry up and blow away. I'll miss it, it used to be a great website.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just went there and had no problems ...

Business as usual....

Nothing was grayed out and the descriptions and prices were visible

·
Supreme Member
4,008 Posts

Business as usual....

If you don't have a paid account but you can still read the ads, you're probably looking at vendor ads. Vendor ads are visible to everyone.

But private party ads are visible only to those who have paid accounts.

Reactions: DeraldR

·
Registered
125 Posts

Business as usual....

You must have a paid membership then. Unless you were a signed-in member before and the cookies fool Armslist into thinking you are still a paid member, while not being one. I looked again and all relevant info is grayed-out for me.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you don't have a paid account but you can still read the ads, you're probably looking at vendor ads. Vendor ads are visible to everyone.

But private party ads are visible only to those who have paid accounts.
OK.....That is exactly what I am seeing......Did not notice it before, but the PP ads are grayed out.....I was just looking at page one, and there were no PP ads until page 2.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will say that Armslist charging a fee to look at their website is no different than promoters charging a fee to walk in the door of a gun show. That is one of the reasons that I have not been to a gun show in many, many years...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
What will they do with those who include a phone number or email in a photo? 'Please see the fine print.'😉

·
JABRONI AUTIST
7,774 Posts
I won't lie I've used Armslist many times to sell guns over the years with no issues, of course some people are clearly smoking crack but otherwise no issues. I haven't used them in a while and looks like I probably wont' be either, sure it's just $6 but still, seems odd.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts