Glock 19 Armorers: What spare parts do I want to stock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 0.0-idontrun, Sep 19, 2020.

1. 0.0-idontrun

0.0-idontrun

G19 Gen 5
    The gun is relatively new but, I will eventually want to replace worn or broken parts. What do I need to have on hand for breakage or high wear parts? ***I am happy with the factory setup (even the trigger) and I won't be doing competition shooting so I just need backups as opposed to upgrades.

Some things I am seeing available:
    Guide Rod and Recoil spring (titanium or stainless?)
    Firing Pin & Spring
    Firing Pin Safety Plunger & spring
    Trigger bar
    Trigger housing
    Mag spring
    Slide Lock Spring (already got one cause that thing is tiny)
    Extractor

-Do I need any or all of these?
    -Am I missing something?
    -Where is the best place to get these things?

2. SCC

SCC just me

any part with the word spring in it ...

Grumpy_old_man, barta, Jump and 5 others like this.

3. The Father

The Father

I have all the spare parts for my Glock’s. It is call another Glock. I just keep the basics. Recoil spring. Firing pins. After you swap parts, you probably need to test. Wouldn’t want to test in competition I would surmise.

Chowser likes this.
  4. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

Complete duplicate is my choice or complete upper and lower parts.

sigp6 likes this.
  5. 0.0-idontrun

0.0-idontrun

To the suggestion that I get a second G19 - sounds great but they are scarce and high priced right now. Besides, I plan on getting a 43X

MCCM likes this.
  6. jamppp

jamppp

All you really need is a spare RSA and plan to replace at 5K rounds.
    I do keep spare springs and other small parts (firing pin spring cups) just in case I lose something while cleaning.

7. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50 Silver Member

The G5 RSA's don't need changed at 5k rounds.

Still good idea to have one

8. 0.0-idontrun

0.0-idontrun

OK. Thanks for the input so far. I agree with SCC saying anything with a spring. I'd still love to hear from some Armorers (apologies if some the responses are Armorers). In the meantime lets fine tune it.
    -Titanium or Stainless RSA?
    -Where's the best place to find these parts? I know I can get these things are GlockStore but I am not impressed with their slow delivery and lack of access to customer service these days.

9. Preyhunter

Preyhunter Huckleberry

OEM RSAs. You can order those from store.teamglock.com. I'd say a TMH (there have been cases of the trigger spring "strut" breaking), a slide lock spring, and firing pin spring cups to guard against loss. Those are the minimums, but there's not much else in a Gen5 that is gonna break or wear out until you get high in the round count.

0.0-idontrun likes this.
  10. jhc37013

jhc37013

I keep enough G19 and 43 parts to change all springs and other parts at least two times over and some parts like trigger springs I have 6 or 7. I know it is a lot of spare parts but in my experience I always find a need for OEM parts either for routine maintenance or buying a used Glock and changing springs etc.

Another reason I like to keep 2x spare parts is you never know when the parts you need might be unavailable for plenty of reasons like another virus and shut down / slow down or something political and buying online parts. If you can afford them up front before you need them get all the spare parts you can whenever you can especially if your a Glockoholic. The old saying better to have and not need than need but not have comes to mind.

TexFarm, Tuner Sandwich and sigp6 like this.
  11. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

And firing pin.

12. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

At one point, I would say take it to the glock armorer twice a year and never look back

13. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I believe there is a post online (I think m4carbine.net) where a Navy Seal had thousands of rounds through his Gen 5 G19 and I think the biggest issues was the slide lock and slide lock spring...maybe the trigger bar spring as well...

As listed above..extra springs are good to have

14. Preyhunter

Preyhunter Huckleberry

For pre-Gen5 Glocks, the most common parts to break are the slide lock spring and the trigger spring. Those changed with Gen5 and it remains to be seen what the problem parts will be now. I think the strut inside the trigger spring is one of those parts. RSAs are the most common part to wear out.

Gfive45 likes this.
  15. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I think in that post...the slide lock was an issue and it was recommended to get the Vickers one..

16. 0.0-idontrun

0.0-idontrun

Thank you for the info.
    I can't find the RSA at the website listed. Do you have the factory part number? Also, why not a Stainless or Titanium RSA with the same factory spec?

17. Preyhunter

Preyhunter Huckleberry

Part 39310, same as G19X and G45. I didn't see it on the website either. Strange.

You asked for armorer advice. Armorers should always recommend OEM. :)

18. 0.0-idontrun

0.0-idontrun

Fair enough. I believe I remember you saying you also like to tinker with things. So as a tinkerer, is there a reason to consider Stainless or Tungsten?

19. mongo356

mongo356

After about 22yrs Glocking, I too thought I needed to stock a bunch of parts for repair.
    The only parts I have ever needed to replace were mag springs and a connector in an early production G43.
    Honestly I just keep a spare gun for Just-in-case. After adding up the cost of my spare parts, I realized I had spent enough on parts to buy a entire spare gun. I don't have to worry about the newest revision part number or what it fits that way. I have tossed more outdated items in the trash than I have repaired a gun with.
    I probably shoot about 1,000 -1,500rds a year though, odds of me wearing out a Glock part are minimal.
    YMMV

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  20. Preyhunter

Preyhunter Huckleberry

You're right, I did say that. Up to this point, I just haven't had the urge or need to try any other RSAs. My factory Glocks I like to keep OEM because I use them for GSSF matches. I do build 80% "Glocks", ARs, and 1911s. I have a Glock one in the works at the moment that will have some type of compensator on it and that could prompt me to begin experimenting in the RSA area. OEM RSAs just work so well, were designed for the pistol, and are cheaper than the aftermarket options.