Armored vehicles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Feb 20, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

A guy at my station and I were talking. He works in Mexico City right now but he was working in Chile and in other parts of South America in the past few years.

He mentioned that the guy that picks him up to take him to work (taxi service) does it in an armored car. He said it looks like a regular vehicle but if you look closer, the windows are about an inch or so thick.

He said down in those countries they have regular car lots then they have armored car lots. Since crime is rampant, you either take your chances or you buy/use an armored vehicle when traveling.

Does anyone have experience with armored vehicles? Are they really effective in terms of the civilian market? I mean criminals usually figure out how to defeat most defenses. I'm wondering if they use fire or something else when they encounter someone in an armored vehicle?

Personally, if I need to ride in an armored vehicle to buy groceries or go to work, I'm going to avoid that area... But I'm still facinated by armored vehicles and I'd love to hear from those who have experience with them.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

When I want to talk about your boyfriend I'll say so. He has nothing to do with this thread!

-Emt1581

4. silentpoet

silentpoet

Emt you broke the rule about talking to the police.

5. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

What do you mean?

-Emt1581

6. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin

Yeah experience driving armored Humvees, they suck. A picture says a thousand words, nicely said TBO ;)

7. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

You routine street punk {in America} ain't swinging a RPG. Most of the vehicles are rated a little higher {IIRC} than Level Four body armor.

Molotov cocktails MIGHT cause issues.

8. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

The taxi probably AIN'T a Hummer. Sounds like it has one of the aftermarket installs of Lexan-type material.

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes, I have driven in up-armored vehicles (Central America back in the early 90s, central Africa, and IIRC, Madagascar).

You are looking at armored vehicles in isolation. In much of the places I've been, it's either low level discreet security - armored vehicle + armed driver + armed bodyguard, 2nd vehicle with 2-4 guys, or

armored vehicle, + uniformed officers + marked advance car with lights, sometimes sirens, and sweeper car - everyone from protective detail in uniform or openly carrying long guns.

About 2 decades a go I did a concert in "Mr. Pineapple face" territory (Noriega). The lead vehicle was an open top jeep uniformed driver (military fatigues) + two other guys with long guns also uniformed. My client was in a car ahead, tightly sandwiched between two gun toting dudes in the back seat of a car. I was behind that vehicle with 2-3 from our entourage with a driver + shotgun, and there were other vehicles behind us as well, all moving at a high rate of potentially dangerous speed.

The shotgun in our car was sitting on the window ledge of the front passenger seat window with the long gun's stock resting in his hip, gun pointed outwards. For much of the drive, he rode this way - one leg in, half of himself outside the vehicle.

EMT, I know you are going to deny this, and or say "not me", but you truly obsess over security, safes and personal protection a bit too much. You need to learn how to do threat level assessments to figure out where on the scale you are, or your environment is.

Chances are you'll die of a heart attack (induced by stress) before you're 40.

Ease up a bit.

'Drew

10. JMS

JMS 02

Drew,
    I didn't see anything in his post to indicate paranoia, more of just wanting to gather info. I haven't ridden in armored vehicles but I have been inside them at the NYIAS where every armored car company in NJ/NY/CT seems to come out with their Lincoln Town Cars/Cadillacs/etc. They were very quiet inside and the door closed with some serious authority.

From what I understand/heard/read the extra weight really affects the handling characteristics of the car. The brakes, although usually upgraded, are taxed and forget about driving in slalom (again, suspensions are upgraded as well). There are people in the US that obviously could benefit from having them, celebrities/ politicians /executives where they or their families could be targeted, but this is basically the same demographic as in Mexico and South America. The average Jose can't afford to outfit their car. For most vehicles, the price of outfitting them exceeds the price of the vehicle.

In addition to the OP, I don't think the criminals are going around with their jackets full of weapons/rpgs/molotov cocktails/etc. If they attack and it doesn't work they move on.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  11. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

I don't get it. What does Prince (that is Prince, right?) have to do with armored cars? :dunno:

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

That was tangential to the funky pictures, and comments. EMT has an interesting history of posting questions about personal security, premise security, safes, ...and now this.

'Drew

13. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Where we lived in south Florida car jackings were fairly common. Although I'd never spend the money for an armored car it would be priceless to flip him the bird and start dialing 911 when some thug comes up and taps on your window with the barrel of his gun.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I think in the U.S., someone concerned with security would be better served taking an evasive driving class.

15. Jay S.

Jay S.

Nothing. It's the look that he gives towards the end like WTF did you just say?

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

You are correct. I love learning about security and weaponry...have ever since I was a kid. I was given my first pocket knife when I was about 6...it pretty much started right there.

So yes, I do love learning and talking about it. But does this mean I'm going to go buy an armored car? Hell no! There's no need for it IMO. Doesn't mean it's wrong to learn/ask about them. :dunno:

-Emt1581

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah, the guy did say that the larger vehicles are not fun to ride in because of the added weight. He didn't talk much about prices at those armored car lots though.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

18. kiole

kiole

watch the history channel special on armored cars. Pretty cool to see how they build them, especially when they tested them with armor companies owner in the car. The only issue i saw in a real attack is how well the windshield would hold up to about 30incoming rounds in stead 5-6. Especially if those 30 rounds were within a 5-6inch spot.

19. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Believe it or not I'd LOVE to be able to pull a J turn. Again, no need for it, but just to be able to do it. They tried explaining it to me on here but it didn't make sense, the mechanics of it, but other than that, I always leave enough room inbetween the car in front of me and I stay away of my surroundings...so a class, while a good idea, isn't needed for me.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

EVOC/ defensive driving courses are not cheap anyways...good ones start at $2k, unless you can get your agency to pay the note.

:)

'Drew