close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Armed while camping/hiking?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by LinuxBoy, Nov 18, 2002.

1. LinuxBoy

LinuxBoy

Do you carry while hiking or camping? If so, what, and what are the laws to watch out for? Do you only carry a pistol - concealed, or open? Do you carry a rifle?

I live in PA and have thought about taking up hiking for exercise and fun, but some state areas claim you can only carry a gun while hunting and such - how does that jive with PA firearm carry permits?

I'm as concerned with two-legged critters as four - don't think there's anything bigger than brown bears in PA anymore. The heaviest firearm I could conceive of carrying is a Marlin lever-action in .44 Mag, or more likely, a Glock 29.

Thoughts/experiences?

2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

G-20 & Corbon Penetrators if there is a chance of any dangerous creatures. I carry open around the campfire. If I'm out treking through the forest where there may be a chance of coming upon any two legged creatures of the human race I always carry concealed if the law allows. What they don't know can't hurt them or me. Sorry, can't help you on PA laws.

3. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

i carry open when i go trekking. AZ is an open carry state so YMMV. i used to carry my g19. i've stepped up to a smith 629. you're more likely to encounter a problem with 2 legged creatures than 4 legged ones.

the biggest animal threats out here are rattlesnakes and mountain lions. mostly the cats. if you piss off a black bear, it would be a problem, but they will mostly keep to themselves. lions on the other hand see people as a food source.

i just picked up a marlin 1894P that i will be using as my scouting gun, but for hiking it's too much weight. i'm still testing out the 629 to see if it's too much. it's the mountain gun model so it's only .41oz, but that might be too heavy for long treks. i still have to see how it works on +10 mile walks.

5. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I would carry if legal--no exception--I grew up in the Alaskan bush,and you would be an idiot not to carry,due to bears and being in a total remote location.Now i live in Ga,and often hike/scout for hunting-i still carry.You never know what is going to happen in the wilderness--period.Be prepared.

6. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

I live in Utah and Idaho and carry EVERY time I go hiking or camping. G20 w/ 6"KKM and 200XTP @ 1400fps or my Ruger GP-100 with 200WFN @ 1225fps.
    -Mike

7. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

I carry either my G29, G20, S&W 629 or S&W 610, or sometimes all of them, when out in the woods. Concealed, usually.

8. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

Being in CA, I usually follow gun laws to a "T". Camping is one of the only times I'll willingly break the law, as the sheriff's offices in rural CA are much more OK with guns than the urban areas are.

I don't carry open, but I do sleep with it as at home. There are too many yahoos in the woods to not have protection, and it is one of the times when the saying "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" (or something to that effect) is clearly right.

9. Matthew Temkin

Matthew Temkin

I carry a 2" .38 while camping/hunting/hiking. Concealed, either in a fanny pack, inside my backpack, or in a Uncle Mike's hip pouch.
    Since I am a peace officer legalities are not an issue for me.
    But 20 years ago I had a run in with a bear while backpacking in the Adirondacks and wished for something more powerful (luckilly a shot fired in the air scared him off.)

10. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Always and concealed.

11. smeet5150

smeet5150 Southern Son

I always open carry my G19 while out in the woods. people around here don't even give a second look

12. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Why carry concealed when out in the woods? Just wear it open on the belt. The crooks will not bother you when they can see that you are armed.

Legalities? Open carry is normal when out in the woods.

13. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

I agree, but it wouldn't hurt to carry a small back-up concealed

14. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

Always! In the summer time I carry openly but when it gets a bit cooler and we head up north, my G21 is usually covered by a jacket.

15. J. Parker

J. Parker

I've carried a handgun visible in western "National Forests" for near thirty years now without a problem from rangers or private folks. Don't know about eastern regs.
    I like visible carry. There's no mystery...I'm packin'...here's my gun...now what?

16. smilinjimmy

smilinjimmy

I ALWAYS carry when in the woods. Part of that comes from living in Alaska. There it is legal for any citizen(allowed to own guns, of course) to carry concealed if involved in ANY outdoor activity. Even in Anchorage, downtown. Roller blading, bicycling, you name it. Even children of an age I can't remember, (10-18?) can carry if they have written consent of their parents.

Also check your local laws about six times over, just to be sure. Often it is permissable if you are a licensed hunter/fisherman to carry, check twice more about open/concealed. Remember that ignorance is no excuse in LOE's eyes, it's up to you to know you're legal. Protect yourself by all means, but don't take a chance on getting arrested for it. Go for the best defense, be a LEGAL BEGAL!

Please remember to be safe out there. Personally, I have a round in the chamber when I'm in the woods. We have critters that can kill you. Some of them even walk on 2 legs and have opposable thumbs. You can't be too prepared, but not being prepared enough can get you in a pine box. Do what feels right to you, considering where you are.

Choice of caliber is yours also. IMO, buy as hot a load as you can get your gun to safely shoot. Front shoulders are good targets on predators w/four legs. A good hit will allow you to get away/ get control of the situation. Broken feets and legs tend to slow an attacker well. Remember bears at close range won't always die straight out, because their hearts beat too slow. Put-em D-O-W-N, but only if you have to. Unless of course season is open.

Have a great time, I enjoy any time I can get away from this mess of concrete and asphalt. Be prepared and you'll come home happy.

;f

17. smackthellama

smackthellama 3L luv, yo.

I've had good experiences carrying a G23 in a Jaguar shoulder holster under my Gregory Shasta. Spare mags offside. So many black straps and stuff I've never had anybody really notice. Access remains easy, though.

18. LinuxBoy

LinuxBoy

I'm thinking of going with a combination of a Marlin lever-action chambered in .44 Mag with either a 4-inch S&W 29 revolver, Glock 20/29, or Glock 32 as a sidearm concealed. Does anyone else carry a rifle while hiking/camping, or is that just too much?

19. JimM_PA

JimM_PA

PA has some specific laws dealing with carrying a concealed handgun, whether in hunting season, fishing season or otherwise. Check with your county sheriff's office for information on a permit for concealed carry, and the county treasurer's office for information on a limited permit to carry while you are hunting or fishing with a current license.
    Jim

20. LinuxBoy

LinuxBoy

Jim,

Are you familiar with the laws? I do have my PA License To Carry Firearms. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks!