close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Armed pilots carrying glocks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SLing438, Apr 20, 2003.

1. SLing438

SLing438 Millennium Member

In a clip shown by Foxnews, I believe that the pilots were shown practicing with glocks. Can someone confirm this? If so, it appears that Glock has proven itself with another agency.

2. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink

I alos saw footage of them practicing/qualifying and, in one close-up, the guy was shooting a Glock. I was under the impression, that guns were not going to be provided, and that the pilots would qualify with their own.

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Airline pilots are not members of any Federal, State or local agency. They are members of a labor union.

4. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Danny, the enabling legislation for armed pilots on commercial passenger flights goes beyond "Let the pilot carry his gun."
    It goes to the point of "Accept pilots for training as Federal Law Enforcement Agents". Laws already allow federal LEOs to carry guns on commercial flights, and the armed pilot program is going to make federal LEOs out of pilots.

5. Glock34-35

Glock34-35

They sure are. I saw a story on it in tonights local news. They said they would be using .40 glocks (probably 22) in the charlotte area anyway.

6. noway

noway

I saw the same article.

.40 caliber guns and out of the first wave of pilots trained 48 failed and 40 passed. I wonder whatis and how long the training course take?

{Accept pilots for training as Federal Law Enforcement Agents"}

And no I don't consider armed pilots a LE, his/her only requirement is to protect the cockpit only. It's no different than me or you protecting our homes and being called a LE)

7. SGT109FA

SGT109FA Eat this Osama

QUOTE: "And no I don't consider armed pilots a LE, his/her only requirement is to protect the cockpit only. It's no different than me or you protecting our homes and being called a LE)"

I couldn't agree more! I hope they really are carrying G23 for their use.;c

8. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Glock 22 in .40, No other Glock model or caliber authorized, trust me I know................

9. SGT109FA

SGT109FA Eat this Osama

Hey G22 will do the deed as well....nicely ;f

10. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Now wait a minute. I thought everything was a "Glock 9mm," even revolvers and compound bows.

11. flybywire

flybywire

Those numbers are way off. 48 started, 44 finished
    Maybe you don't consider them law enforcement officers, but the federal government does, and they (FFDO's) have the credentials to prove it.

12. SGT109FA

SGT109FA Eat this Osama

13. noway

noway

flybywire, Get you're facts straight. They received trainging for combat/security/useofforce over a week period. So I don't think that qualifications for LAW Enforcement responsibilities.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/04/19/1050172799489.html

This AP new feed stated 46pilots.But somewhere I seen like 100 candidates had applied or request or something like that. The Airlines and Gov is still figuring out budgeting so I bet the number will most likely increase.

Also read the washington post ( if you don't like the Herald )

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/w...ode=&contentId=A32508-2003Feb19&notFound=true

Take heed in the statement;

"We agree the pilot has no law enforcement function outside of the cockpit, but a pilot certainly is entitled to carry a weapon in a method that affords him personal security," Price said."

So I don't expect a qualified to carry Pilot to arrest me if I was caught speeding or smoking the weed out on the street. ( btw: I don't smoke weed )

The whole issues of the pilot carrying was for the security of "COCKPIT" and nothing else.They don't perform duties of a LEO, no arrests,no investigations,no executing or warrants, just the execution of; protection of the cockpit area only.

They might be federal trained and approve/authorized but that alone don't give them LE authority. No diffeent from a armed security guard or US military personnel who are state and/or federal trained for firearms and they have no LE powers also.

Remember these are Pilots first and that's their main job. Not LEOs.

So in my final response "whatever"!

14. SGT109FA

SGT109FA Eat this Osama

BRAVO noway ! Bravo ! Have one on me. ;c You know what have another.;c

15. flybywire

flybywire

noway,

Unlike many other posts scattered about this forum, your information is essentially correct. Seems you've done some research.

I'm not sure why you think I don't have my facts straight. Did I say something incorrect? FFDO's do have law enforement authority. Granted it is limited to defense of the cockpit and/or to the aircraft in general, but authority nontheless. Whether or not 1 week's training has properly prepared them for such authority is not the point. I happen to think it has, however, and I ought to know.

16. noway

noway

My response to that post would be.

do you think the pilot see himself as a LEO officer or representative or just a guy that's a pilot authorize to carry a gun on a plane and to protect the cockpit?

I actually had a chance to talk to a few pilots about this subject and I got mixed opinions as to what the bill that allowed the carry of the guns and the airline unions have to say about.

The pilots are just one clog in the big wheel as far as security goes. If TSA/INS/FBI and other alphabet agencies would do their jobs, the gun would not evem be needed.

17. flybywire

flybywire

The point, no matter how irrelevant, is the FFDO has law enforcement authority, according to a priority determined by what other law enforcement folks are on board the aircraft. And like all other law enforcement officiers in this country, they have limits on their jurisdiction. Further discussions on whether they're "law enforcment" or not seems to have little significance. I do know FFDO's have other certain enforcement authority beyond simply defending the cockpit. If you want more details from me on this, it will cost you lunch. (uncle!)

Talking to a few pilots about this subject got you mixed opinions. No surprise there. I fly in the cockpit with airline pilots all the time, and yes, there are different opinions on just about every subject we talk about. Generally a hard-headed opinionated group of sons-of *****es.

On the cog in the wheel concept: it's more like a layered defense, like on a soccer field, with the pilot/FFDO being the goalie = last line of defense. All the "alphabet agencies" still doing the best job they can will provide no assurances that a BG with a gun/knife won't get on the airplane.

There is no system that will provide a perfect defense. That's why it's important to have that armed pilot in the cockpit as a "goalie". You wouldn't play a soccer game without a goalie, no matter how good the mid-fielders, forwards, etc.