close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Armadillos hunting SWEST florida

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Oct 30, 2002.

1. noway

noway

Since I can't seem to find any wabbits to hunts, I thought about the idea of Armadillo hunting. Anybody have any good receipes for cooking these and how do you field dress one?

I was thinking about using my std #6 steel or lead shot /12ga IC choke, since I don't own any small caliber rifles or pistols. Would this be too much for the armadillo? I figure the shot would have no penetration on the shell back? yes/no ?

btw:I look at a few hit on the road and it seems like a strange animal to dress. I figure next to shooting one I could sneak up on them and just catch the dumb animal with you're bare hands. My Honduran friends, said their dads use to club them with sticks or baseball bats.(ouch)

(joke) When I use to live in TX , we would sneak up on the armadillos on the roadside or in the field and when we are within 2 to 3ft of a bunch of them, just clap you're hands very loud. It funny to see them jump and dart away.

2. Case

Case Cthulhu fhtagn!

I know some people do, but I sure wouldn't eat those guys. Because their body temperature is much lower than ours, they are an ideal host for leprosy. I read that in a survey done in Louisiana by their parks and wildlife people, it was found that around 60% of the 'dilloes they trapped carried the disease. They are a strange and interesting critter, though.

Scott

3. noway

noway

That I didn't know.

Is neutralize or minimize with heat? how do you determine if they are carriers?

Either way I found a place up near Orlando area (actually in West Brevard co) that has a big population of Armadillos.

Was told to help myself. They are burrowing holes on their property.

4. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

armadillo hunting sounds like a good time. as for eating the giant, armored rats - i would pass. sounds like you found a great place to shoot noway! i would be so happy if someone said "help yourself". they would have no problem in a few days :) . i would personally use a handgun for these guys. have fun.

5. gregbullet

gregbullet

MMM Possum on the half-shell. It might tell you something if the people from Louisianna wont eat one. We hunt our dillos in a armadillo assault vehicle(pick-up truck) and use our evil semi-automatic assault .22's on them. I don't think the buzzards have any problem digesting armadillo.

6. Case

Case Cthulhu fhtagn!

I dunno whether or not leprosy can be killed by cooking them. The only reason I knew about that was that a while back I was reading up on them on the web because my boss from work has a real problem with them digging up his yard. I'd see if you can maybe dig up some info about cooking them online. I've been told that surprisingly, they do not taste like chicken, but more like ham. Good luck!

Scott

7. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

Did you know that armadillos are not native to Florida? The armadillos in Florida are actually from the Texas 7-band armadillo family. They didn't get to Florida until the mid to late '60s when a circus train crashed in northern Florida and the armadillos escaped. No kiddin'... this is the truth.

Also, the way they get killed on the highway, other than a wheel going directly over them, is when a car passes over them, their natural instinct is to jump straight up. That's the noise you hear as you pass over one. CLUNK! hitting the underside of your car's floor.

This wonderful bit of information comes directly from National Geographic. Really. No lie. A circus train.

I have too much time on my hands. ;*

8. noway

noway

More facts;

They are not native to the States but migrated from south of the border to texas via the Rio Grande and S. America has a bunch of different species.