Ares Armor Gavel Review

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Maestro, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Maestro

Maestro

I recently picked up a new Safety Selector from Ares Armor and wanted to provide some feedback.

Up front I wanted to say that I paid for the selector - however, Ares is trying to get reviews of the product out on the internet, and so are offering to "refund the purchase price" - if you do a thoughtful review of their product. I don't know if I will get a refund or not - but wanted to add that disclaimer and that it is at least a partial motivating factor for me to do the review. It is not however influencing my review.

I suppose it was my fault that I didn't read the product description closely enough when I purchased it - but I didn't realized that the selector levers are polymer. The shaft is steel, but the levers are polymer.

Sorry that the pics aren't the best.. but I'm not a great photographer.

What comes in the package:
    [​IMG]

You need to reuse your existing selector detent and spring as one is not provided in the kit.

One interesting part of the kit is that the levers can be position independantly from the shaft, and can be rotated. So instead of being at 90 degree when being on safe and rotating to 145 degree to fire.. you can have it be at ~100 and 155. This is accomplished by having a pattern that allows you to position the selector and different angles compared to the shaft.
    [​IMG]

I am slightly worried about the ploymer levers and the way they attach to the shaft. It seems that the points on the levers may round overtime when being continually worked and that eventually the levers may spin without turning the shaft. It remains to be seen if it is an issue or not.
    So far, the fact that they are polymer levers isn't an issue. There is a very slight bit of flex in they as it clicks into the fire position. If you continue with additional pressure, you can feel the flex. So far not a huge deal - but we'll see how it holds up long term.

Here is the shaft installed in the reciever:
    [​IMG]

Once the center shaft is installed, the levers are rotated and put into the position you like. For me, the traditional 90 degree on safe was the best. Then when taking off the safety, it rotates 55 degrees into the fire position.
    [​IMG]

For me the ambidextrous lever is just about right. Not too big to get in the way, yet big enough that I can always catch it with my trigger finger to flick the safety back on.

[​IMG]

One final picture to give you and idea of the primary selector size.
    [​IMG]

Overall, I really like the 55 degree throw from safe to fire. I'm not yet entirely sure about the polymer levers and their attachment to the shaft if that will hold up long term. The detent stops are firm and crisp - but not too difficult to get the selector to move. I'm going to try it out in a 4 day course at the beginning of next month which should give me ample time to work out if there are any issues with it.

2. Trey83

Trey83

Thanks for the thorough review. There are a few polymer safeties coming to market. I doubt the polymer will prove to be an issue but I am curious to see these parts reviewed after some hard use.

It is going to take a lot to get me to try anything other than the Battle Arms safeties. I love the metal construction and free lever exchange program. Also they have some of the best customer service I have ever seen.

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I also love the BAD safeties, these Gavels look a lot like them.

4. dkf

dkf

5. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

It would appear a plastic copy of the BAD. SJ 40

6. MarkCO

MarkCO Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator CLM Millennium Member

I use the Noveske short throw. Someone comes up with a good idea, it gets copied. I am sure there will be more soon, and someone will post on how much they do or do not like it. With a price range of $30 to $120, there is certainly motivation to the manufacturer and the consumer.

There are SO many parts out there in the AR-15 world, with associated fans and detractors, some legit, and some not, that it is getting hard for the hobby guy to figure what is really good, what is passable and what is crap.