Glock Talk banner

Area 59 GSSF Match

925 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Comrade Bork
I have heard that the GSSF Match scheduled for Dec. 5/6 at Area 59 Houston, TX has been Cancelled.

Don
Reactions: DannyR
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any word on the new match at Talladega, AL at the CMP Range around the same date replacing the Houston, TX area 59 match?

· Registered
828 Posts
I talked to a range master last weekend at a USPSA match. Word was they are still working on the exact dates and RO situation. Something about all their employees at CMP are paid, and they didn't really have a volunteer pool to draw from for RO's like most ranges do from their members.

5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to a range master last weekend at a USPSA match. Word was they are still working on the exact dates and RO situation. Something about all their employees at CMP are paid, and they didn't really have a volunteer pool to draw from for RO's like most ranges do from their members.
That sounds like it could be a mess. Hope they have their act together.

Don

· Registered
107 Posts
CMP Range in Talladega is outstanding. I understand GSSF did a demo there a few weeks back. I went there for the first time a couple weeks ago to shoot my new CMP M1 Garand (Springfield Armory, Oct. 1942) on their all electronic 600 yd range. Only goes Cold for occasional brass policing. Range #5 has 15 bays for stage setup. Clubhouse is Sierra Hotel. Hope they work it out - I have to believe they can get volunteer ROs from the area. I'm 2 hrs away and would volunteer.

· Registered
2,519 Posts
CMP Range in Talladega is outstanding. I understand GSSF did a demo there a few weeks back. I went there for the first time a couple weeks ago to shoot my new CMP M1 Garand (Springfield Armory, Oct. 1942) on their all electronic 600 yd range. Only goes Cold for occasional brass policing. Range #5 has 15 bays for stage setup. Clubhouse is Sierra Hotel. Hope they work it out - I have to believe they can get volunteer ROs from the area. I'm 2 hrs away and would volunteer.
"If you build it, they will come".

I was there for the dedication ceremony. $20,000,000 yields a very impressive place. 500 + acres.

At this point the classic CMP "Camp Perry style" events are more developed -- especially 600 yard high-power, bullseye, and the like.

They have built 15 massive action pistol bays and bought a good bit of top of the line MGM steel targets. The bays are still somewhat rudimentary. Just 3 dirt walls and a dirt floor. No overhead covers, no crush and run on the bay floors, no conexes or other storage for match equipment.

But potential is certainly there.

I cannot believe that they will attract some USPSA, IDPA, 3 Gun nation, and/or Steel Challenge shooters to utilize that facility, and ultimately, develop a Range Officer cadre that could staff a GSSF match.

I hope they are able to pull it together for 2015.

Time will tell..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.