close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are you the only one who polices brass?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Pier23, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Pier23

Pier23

Gentlefolk,

I shoot regularly at an indoor range which is part of my LGS.

It seems though that I am the only one who polices brass... Most people shoot and run.

Is this a common issue at other ranges? And how can I encourage other people to police brass...my own policing work doesnt seem to be changing too many attitudes...

2. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Around here, most indoor ranges that I know of prefer that you leave your spent cases behind. The brass is then collected and sold by the range and the proceeds donated to non-profit organizations such as the BSA or 4-H clubs.

3. devildog2067

devildog2067

Yup.

I'll pick up my brass if I'm expected to, but every place I shoot actually encourages me to leave it.

4. badge315

badge315

I believe this is the first time in my life that I have heard somebody complain about people not policing their brass. I shoot at an outdoor range and anything left behind is quickly scooped up by reloaders.

5. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Reloader. Heck, I'll fight ya for it!

6. jknight8907

jknight8907

:rofl: Around here it's collected, sold, and donated to the range owner's pocket if you shoot at an indoor range.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I like when folks don't. Esp when they shoot factory new ammo.
    I ask when they leave. "Do you want your brass?" if they say "nope" I offer to sweep it up. Course I don't reload .40 S&W so I give that away...

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I reload. I pick up mine and everything near me that is not nailed down.

It's my brass, I paid for it. I'm not leaving it for THEM to pick up and sell.

Hell to the no.

9. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

At my local outdoor range, which is a state range there are some quirky old guys that I almost have to beat back with a stick to keep my brass. I gotta yell at them, I'm waiting for one to show up with a net and catch them as they eject!

My buddy doesn't reload, but these guys pissed him off so much he collects all his brass to spite them, then gives it to me.:supergrin:

I got 500 rounds of once fired .45 acp in one stop once. That was a nice haul.

There's one crazy old guy that digs lead out of the backstop. He goes to the range and he'll stand there for hours not shooting, just watching, with no hearing protection.:wow:

Then when everyone leaves he hits the backstops with a trowel and a bucket.:faint:

10. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

I'm not a reloader, and I should but I don't. I police the brass I use and leave it for the reloaders/shooters at my local gun club.

Now my dark side, shooting the AK 47. Steel casings, do I police those? Nope!:supergrin:

11. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

The indoor range I used to go to sweep it up while your shooting that used to piss me off then they will sell a 5 gal bucket for $95.00. It was all mixed.

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

It's been years since I've been in an indoor range, but when would you do this? We were never allowed forward of the firing line and there was always someone waiting for your station the second your time was up. Walking around and picking brass up you spent brass around other active shooters was poor form. HH

13. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

That's actually the easiest cases to pick up. Just get yourself one of these:
    [​IMG]

14. Altaris

Altaris

I've never been to any range before that makes you or encourages you to police your brass. Everyone I have ever been to either has nothing posted at all, or encourages/tells you Not to pick up brass.

15. JGlockman

JGlockman

I have an associate who is a high volume ammo "remanufacturer" - he says he pays local ranges an average of 30k/yr for mixed brass. That's quite an income stream... For the range.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

16. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Not I. I shoot on my own private range, and I don't reload. My friends who do reload can pick it up if they want it.

One of these days I'll have a scrap metal guy come by and deal with the rimfire, steel, and aluminum cases. And the lead/copper in the backstop.

17. aspartz

aspartz

Call one of the cable channels, they might make a reality series about him. :upeyes:

ARS

18. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

If you come to the range with me, we leave it cleaner than when we showed up.

19. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Hmmmmm... HH

20. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Don't get me started on the owner of the local tackle store that melts lead indoors with the windows closed. Some people really don't have intellect to spare on such things....:wow:

I'm talking next to register on the counter over the reels, big pot o' molten lead cooking away.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012