close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are you ready for dove season?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by CanyonMan, Aug 21, 2003.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Well, here in Texas, dove season starts the first day of September... we are looking at a good crop, also, there is one of our pastures we have not cultivated this year, but the Lord did it for us, and it is now grown up in 100% sunflowers! (sounds good uh!?)

Plus the other good spots on the ranch as well, but this pasture looks "real" promising..

Just wondered how things are looking for the rest of you in you state/area. Just curious.

******* (NOTE)
    I appologise!!!!! I did not see the other post on here about "dove season in Texas", when i placed this post!!

Oh well, now we have two.

Let's make this one as i said above, since i've already goofed....
    a place to here from the "other sates", and how things look there for you .

CanyonMan

2. noway

noway

yes yes yes...

I have over 600 shells load for this year dove season (hopefully I don't have to use all of them ). I plan to hunt every sat/sun of each weekend once the phases start down here.

Doves have been spotted in all of the common places and the fields have shown certain area to have alot of mourning doves flocking around. One thing for sure the Collared ( aka ring neck or Eurasion Doves ) doves are increasing in my area big time. Don't know how this might or might not effect the food source available for the mourning doves, but I think this year might be very good.

3. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

In an effort to avoid decimating the local dove population, I've decided to use my .223 VS, making head shots, on the ground, of course.

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

You should use a .22-250 instead. They're good out to 750 yards I've heard. ;f

5. glockster96

glockster96 Moderator Lifetime Member

Tee-hee.....I've also heard you only have to dial in 4 inches of drop at that range....;a ;a ;a ;f

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway,

My good friend.... good to hear from ya.
    Man, if you "do use," all 600 hubndred of those shells, two things are going to happen.... #1.. Your shoulder will end up in plaster!
    # 2... If you shoot like me, or 'most of us,' you will probably bring home about 75 birds! hahahaha :)

Seriously... Man sounds good to me, wish i could come to Fla. and hunt some of those "other kind of doves" you talked about.. Let us know how ya did Hoss.

"WalterGA".......(quote) In an effort to avoid decimating the local dove population, I've decided to use my .223 VS, making head shots, on the ground, of course. (end quote).

Man i was thinking about using my 45/70 at ony 75 yard shots, in 20 MPH cross winds, on the wing. Well, either way you look at, it's got to be a cahllnge! ha.

Good hunting to all you boys, and becareful.

every body try to jump on here after the first couple of days, and let's hear how it went.

Have fun guys!

CanyonMan

CanyonMan

7. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

Finally, FINALLY got an 1100 for dove season. No more racking rounds for me! I love my Browning BPS but I'll leave it to the waterfowl for which is was intended. The dove get way to fast and furious down here in Georgia for a pump. Although some still do well with them, as I did, I'm lazy and every little bit helps! Getting much time in the field this season is going to be tough though. September is going to be busy for me as we have gotten no pre-season work done on our deer property. My father-in-law had to have hernia surgery two months ago and I am back on midnights. Both of these have made it nearly impossible to get out in the woods to get ready for deer season which starts two weeks early this year. That gives us only about 6-7 weeks to get in and out so the deer get reaquainted with the food plots in time for a good opening day. That means less dove huntin' and more weed pullin', limb clearin' and stand fixin'! It'll all be worth it though. This is the season for the big one, I can feel it! Good luck to all you bird hunters out there.

8. noway

noway

{. No more racking rounds for me! I love my Browning BPS but I'll leave it to the waterfowl for which is was intended. The dove get way to fast and furious down here in Georgia for a pump.]

100% agree. When teh doves gets ah flyin, a semi-auto does provide some advantages.

The only problem down a state from you ( FL), the quicker you knock them out of the air , you still have to back up and find & recover them.

The grass and weeds in most of these fields are about as thick as a block of cheeese.

Even a retriever would have a hard time finding the dove if not due to the weeds but to the extra pollen and dust that would prevent their little noses from working right.

9. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

What is the most popular gauge, choke, and load for doves?

10. noway

noway

Alot factors & variables;

But for me it's mainly IC or MOD with either #7 or #7.5 shot in 1 1/8 to 1 3/8oz loadings. This works out just fine for most doves low or high flyers. The heavier stuff comes out as the doves get smarter towards the end of the day and fly higher and faster.

I once in awhile shoot #8s but I have had more wounded doves with #8s so I harder use anything with #8 and never #9s. I never tried anything in 1oz or less in 12ga and once try some 7/8oz with a 20ga with medium results.

btw:12ga is all I own and mainly shoot.

11. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I'm ready. I went out and shot 92/100 skeet on Sunday to make sure I was still in the swing of things.

12 guage Remmy 870 with a mod. choke is my normal gun. But, this year I may try to look like a purty-boy and take my O/U Huglu. The skeet were busted with that gun, but the Remmy usually out performs by far!

12. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

Having tried a lot of shotguns over the years, I'm back to my trusty A5 with 22" Invector barrel. I use either improved cylinder or modified choke tubes. My favorite dove load is 3 1/4, 1 1/8oz shot; #8 shot. I sometimes use 7.5's, but figure I need all the shot I can muster. (I've killed eleventy-zillion doves over the years with the aforesaid A5 and it's original, 26" skeet bore barrel.)

Friend of mine killed over 1500 doves in one day two seasons ago. I don't think I'd care for that kind of "hunting"!

13. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

The whiners in Detroit keep us without a dove season here in Michigan… ;Q if something isn’t done soon about our extensive dove populations, there’ll be less & less food for are other dwindled game birds…

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Michigun,

Your kidding. There is "NO" dove season there at all? I mean i Beleive ya, that was a figure of speach etc..

What bordering state near you 'does have' a dove season, that perhaps wouldn't cost you an arm an leg to hunt in?

What is the big beef about hunting over there anyway?

I know you guys have a good deer season, if memory serves me, correct me if i'm wrong. Also i brag alot about the size of the Oklahoma bucks, then (years ago), i got a gander at those in your state, and said wow. We grow some very huge bucks back in my home of N.W. Okla. But i must admit, you guys have 'on the average', more 'heavy bodied deer' than we do... but the dove things stinks for ya doesn't it my friend.

At least have a great deer season!
    Good hunting!

CanyonMan

15. noway

noway

{There is "NO" dove season there at all?}

Yes even Wisconsin didn't have a dove season until a few years back (IIRC)

One other issue from what I read and heard if these seasons where deployed ( northern areas) it would be much shorter than let's says Tx/GA/Fl etc..... since the birds nature thoughts are to fly far-south to warmer clients during the fal/winter transition.

We are bless in having florida resident doves plus the transients that fly in and out.The more transient doves that we pluck out of the air here, helps for the remainding doves and the food supplys back in the upper states.

just my 0.02

16. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Noway,

Howdy! Makes since to me.. Living in Texas once upon a time yourself, you remember how we always say,...... "Hey the bigger doves from up north will show up a litlle later in the season".

Sorry for our friend here, " Michigun ," but, i am happy to get those birds in my Bar-B-Q.

Gotta run right quick.

Let me know how it goes for ya!
    Good hunting Hoss!

CanyonMan

17. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Never really looked into it… I’d rather step out my backdoor to shoot them; you know what I’m saying?

They think that we’d be shooting doves for target practice only… somehow by the time it hits the evening news here eating them never comes up…

Yes, Michigan has on average some of the biggest whitetails in the US. Not uncommon to take a 1.5-year-old buck that weights 170+ pounds in the Southern parts. (My brother took a 2.5-year-old 189-pound (dressed weight!) 8-point buck last year out of my tree stand… why I let him hunt my tree I really don’t know……. ;)) We also have a lot of deer here & A LOT of deer hunters!

18. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

This is correct noway.

Yes, please blast as many as you can! It does help... we just wish we could join in the fun is all... :) However, until then, if you guys need me to send you some shotgun shells....... ;)

19. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

... & that's just it, they can be & are very eatable! I know 1st-hand this is true, but don't ask how I know this! ;)

20. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Michigun,

I already forgot what you told me not to ask you!! :)

Hang in there Hoss, perhaps one of these days folks in you area, (and other states as well), will "wake up," that responsable hunters "eat what they shoot."

Wonder how Noway and I can send you back some of your doves after they are cleaned, and marinated!? :)

Later Bud.

CanyonMan