close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are you physically fit?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Reyn, Feb 21, 2013.

1. GlockViking

GlockViking

That would be a YES!!!

2. Brucev

Brucev

Throughout elementary, H.S., college and seminary I did hard manual labor which kept me in what some thought was stunning condition. In seminary I had a job w/ a security company where I walked a 1 mile round every half-hour... so that was 16 miles every 8 hours. Not bad. Over the years I've kept myself in decent condition. I weigh 15 lb. more (199 lb.) than when I graduated seminary in 1982 (185 lb).

In 1998 I was catastrophically injured in a fire. It took a long time to get through therapy, etc. One of the hard things was breathing. I very well remember the night I was first able to walk down to the church which was 1/2 mile down the street. Walking back up the hill was a challenge. As soon as I could I started trying to run. I worked up to 6 miles daily. Nowadays I jog a minimum of 45 minutes daily. Often I will do 75 minutes. This is done carrying 10 lb. hand weights. About twice a week I add 5 lb. weights to my ankles. I can take my M-1 Garand and hunt hard through brush, swamp, etc. without getting tire and having to stop for a rest. At age 56 I can work 50-60 hours weekly without any problems. The only problems I have are somewhat high cholesterol levels and a bit of pain in my right ankle and left knee due to injuries playing various sports.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

3. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

"Running" in the traditional sense will get you fit, but it's a pretty inefficient way of doing it. Interval sprints, hill runs, and other high intensity stuff will get you in better shape in less time, and it will take off the fat without taking off muscle, too.

4. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

The word v@gina gets filtered and this got through? It's blocked on my reply but clear as day for me on post #18.

Sorry to change the subject.

5. whoops dude

whoops dude

22 year old martial artist/fitness head so I would say so. I always tell guys "that's a nice 3k rifle. Make sure your body can keep up with it"

6. jpa

jpa CLM

I can see my willy without a mirror. I can also see (the tips of) my shoes and I can walk into McDonalds to pick up my order instead of using the drive thru. I also don't believe in the "Carside to go" deal at the chain restaurants. My job involves a long day of sitting in front of a computer, so any physical activity I do, is on my own. I take my dog for a walk every night (about 1/2 mile), I've been working on the couch to 5k program to get my cardio going and I'm still waiting for the NY resolutioners to leave the gym.

7. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Geeze! You sound like my best friend Jimmy (you all know him as epic mustache dude)!!! Dudes and OX, can't run for stink though!

8. Lazy R

Lazy R

Yes.

Turning 52 next week. Have never let myself get out of shape (too much). Every fall I strap on a 10 lb pack, take my rifle, and hunt 6 to 12 mile days in badlands with lots of hills. Often this includes packing out a mule deer. Getting tougher but I won't give up.

I'm really glad I've stayed this way, some of my friends can't do very much anymore.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Drinking beer makes you lose a few pounds?? I'M IN!

10. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

55 years old, 6'2" and have never gone over 200 pounds. I walk a lot at work and usually have to make several trips a day to the tops of the boilers (about 6 stories).

Yeah...I go a lot slower than I did a couple decades ago...but at least now I know what to look for when I get there...:supergrin:

I wish I were in better shape, but still get around OK for a semi-old-fart.

11. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I just hope there is a SHE involved..........

:tongueout:

12. Glockdude1

Beer shrinks your clothes.......

(Thats my story.... :supergrin:)

13. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Yes and no. But mostly no.

I've always sat most of the day, but I got up and made myself active. I stayed in decent shape. Despite being a hundred pounds lighter than my dad (and almost none of that weight being fat), I could lift and move on par with him all day. Hike all day. Resting heart rate in low 60s, typically. When it came to aerobics, my endurance needed improvement, but otherwise I was in pretty decent shape.

The past couple of years has undone that. I was dealing with work and life situations that did not afford me much opportunity to exercise, vitamin deficiency, stress induced adrenal fatigue, and repeated illness. Each individually (although I usually dealt with them simultaneously) left me without the energy to exercise when I made time for it. And I don't mean that I just didn't feel like getting out of the chair. I would start, but I didn't even have the energy to exercise enough to approach exhaustion. I didn't feel out of shape so much as "out of gas". I still looked like I was in shape, but I was not.

I did maintain the minimum standard of flexibility for myself, at least: I've not lost the ability to touch my palms to the floor when bending over, but even with that stretching the lack of exercising hurt my flexibility.

Long story short, I fixed all of that and I'm going to the gym. I hate the gym and I'd rather exercise at home, but my current situation means I'm going to the gym.

My heart has taken the largest toll. I spend my time on the treadmill and the elliptical for now, trying to get my heart back into shape and then I'll worry about the rest of my body, which hasn't suffered as much. My first goal is to be able to pass the state's part time police academy PT test without being winded (It isn't exactly a strenuous test; the 1.5 mile "run" portion has to be completed in a mere 15 minutes). I typically spend only 15 to 20 minutes in the gym, with my intention being to do mile at a time, spending as much time with my heart rate at about 180 beats per minute for as long as I can stand. I can't stand that for nearly as long as I'd like, unfortunately, which combined with boredom and annoyance at being stuck at the gym is why I've been stopping at a mile. But in a few weeks of this I've managed to get my resting heart rate from over 100bpm down to to 70bpm. A little more aerobic work and I'll return to using weights.

So, no, I'm not in shape. But I'm on my way back.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  14. deputy tom

deputy tom

No. This is why I carry a gun. tom.:embarassed:

15. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Use a heavier mug. HH

16. Glockdude1

:agree:

[​IMG]

:supergrin:

17. WT

WT Millennium Member

I just weighed an empty Hofbrauhaus mug.

47.5 oz. empty. That is almost 3 lb. Add 1.1 liters of beer .... :wow:

18. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Three weeks from turning 46, just completed 8-1/2 months of rehab from surgery to reattach a ruptured triceps tendon, 225 pounds, half an hour ago got 12 rounds on the Crossfit "Cindy" workout (5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 free squats in 60 seconds; the complete workout is 20 rounds in 20 minutes). I could only do six rounds before the injury.

I'd say I'm in good, but not yet great, shape, but better than most guys my age.

19. teog

teog

Sparta fit here.

20. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Well, I physically fit into my pants. Most of the time. Does that count?