GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
pugman said:
And no, you don't need a college education to be successful and I still think in today's economic climate the average guy might be better off developing a skill and being damn good at it.
This is something a lot of folks glossed over and I think it bears repeating.
It's absolutely true that you don't need a college degree, or a college education, to be successful.

However--the fact is, on average, those who have a college education will be MORE successful than those who do not. This is a simple mathematical fact.

I know a lot of men who have no college, or 2 years of tech school, that make 6 figures or close to it.
I made 6 figures once before, in car sales, and was a college dropout at the time. I went back to school, and now I do again.

This time it's easier, more interesting, more challenging, more flexible, and there's more potential financial upside (with any luck I'll be making 7 figures by the time I'm 40). In many ways life is easier with a degree.

A good friend of mine from back then, we sold cars together, lucked into a web development job with the Discovery Channel. He also makes right about $100k.

He lives in desperate fear of losing his job, because he has no formal education and he knows he'd never be able to replace this job if he lost it. I look back at the last 6 years and honestly, it's worth it just to not have that level of stress.

Welders, luxury auto technicians, shop foremen, general contractors, horse shoers, electricians, etc. All men who make darn good livings working hard with their hands, and don't have college debt.
I love working with my hands--but I'm glad that I get to wear soft clothes and sit in an office. Decades of working with your hands takes a toll on your body.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
jknight8907 said:
I wouldn't consider an 80-hour work week to be successful! It's nice to have time to actually do something other than work and sleep.
We all make choices. 80 hours isn't all that much if you enjoy your job. Week in week out it'd be a lot, but working a couple of 80 hour weeks is not that big of a deal.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
I met a guy at a party who was in his late 50's at the time.
He used his GI Bill to go to trade School when he returned from Viet Nam. He went in to HVAC in the early to mid 70's working out of a pickup truck.
Very down to earth guy, real beer drinking blue collar type. He now runs one of the biggest HVAC installation and service companies in Cent Texas. and I am sure they do a 7 figure year, year in and year out.
Still drives a pick-up and married a Nurse.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
As a parent, I made a pledge to God that my parental duty will include supplying my son with a education. Together, my ex-wife and I paid over $20,000 (each) for his high school education. That was suppose to equip him with the necessary tools to obtain college scholarships. However, we not living in a utopia society and our son suffered during his freshman and sophomore year as his parents went through a very brittle divorce. My son's GPA is low, but he has a very good ACT scores.

Given a low GPA, my son found out the "hard way" that GPA's is a driving factor for most college scholarships. Today, we're looking to finance his freshman year ($18,000 Tuition and R&B) of college before he starts school in August.

My exwife expects me to pay for my son's college education, because she feels that I "have the money". Since my son lives with me. His mother conveniently forgot that outside of his high school education 90% of his expenses came from me. Therefore, I am inclined to pay a third of his college education and suggest that they do the same. That's $6,000 apiece. To me that sounds reasonable. His third can come from scholarships, grants, loans or sweat from working hard to finance his education.

·
Descent Terminated
33,323 Posts
P.S. Under this scheme I graduated with a 4.0 GPA, at night school while working full time. There was no way was I risking not getting my tuition reimbursement.
Yup. :thumbsup:

I worked full time at night & went to school full time during the day. I knew how many dollars each class I went to was costing me ..... No way was I not going to get my money's worth !

As an aside, my four kids, some taking five years, cost me well over half a mil :wow: to put 'em through.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts