Are you musically inclined?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Doc Holliday, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Do you play a musical instrument? Which one?
    Do you consider yourself a Beginner, Intermediate or Expert?
    Just wondering how many GTers in here are musically inclined...

2. spork

spork Caffeinator

Nope. I have been told many times to shut up when I was singing, and I can't even do a good air guitar.

3. peng

peng

Guitar, about 35 years now. All types. I would say between intermediate and expert.

Can't sing a note and have a hard time keeping time unless I have a drummer to watch.

Pretty solid on music theory, at least in the rock and roll and blues area.

Thinking about a Mandolin lately, need another stringed child in the family.

Dr. Bill, MaxB and Doc Holliday like this.
  4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Jazz and classic trumpet. Played what I considered semi-pro many years ago. Got paid for a bunch of gigs and one movie but nothing big time. Lots of weddings and corporate gigs where we played soft jazz background charts all night. Sometimes we got more value out of the leftover food and Booz than the actual pay.

I was in the orchestra for several musicals with a very good amateur theater group. That was hell on my schedule but an unforgettable experience.

My kids all play something. We made sure of that. It was good Keep the tradition alive one more generation. My daughter even preformed as a guest artist with the Utah Symphony Orchestra.

BEANCOUNTER, Dr. Bill, tuica and 7 others like this.
  5. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

That kills me. I’m a trained musician and I can clearly hear how bad I sing. Just not fair. I really wish I could sing.

7. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Nope...I can't even play the radio without hurting somebody's ears. Think like being able learning foreign languages, it's a God given talent...or in my case a curse of the debil.

8. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I sing terribly as well. I just got a raw deal on the vocal chords.

I play a decent banjo and am learning guitar. I'm I campfire plucker. I play because I like the noise. I started at 25 and struggle to find time to play regularly.

Batesmotel likes this.
  9. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Ever wonder why you never heard Jimmy Page sing? And I think he's got a wee bit of musical talent.

Intolerant and Batesmotel like this.
  10. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I started and stopped early.

11. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

Yes. I've been singing in a variety of public settings since about age 4.

I took piano lessons from about age 5 to age 10, but I've rarely learned more than a few church hymns and the main riffs of rock/pop songs.

I'm a self-taught recreational player of the electric guitar and bass guitar, but I don't own either and have forgotten much of what I once played on the guitar.

I learned the drums about 3-4 years ago, and I currently play drums and do lead and backing vocals for a neighborhood garage band. That's huge fun.

I'd say I'm beginner to intermediate on all instruments, depending on the day. I have a pretty good ear.

To sum it up, I have more talent than I have time or work ethic. Kinda sad, but there it is.

Dr. Bill and Batesmotel like this.
  12. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

Do you sing off-pitch, or do you simply dislike how your voice sounds?

MrGlock21 likes this.
  13. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

I played the drums for 25 years, was never as good as I wanted to be. Played in a band for extra income and fun.
    Never could sing, always off key unless I plugged one ear.

14. pwinter

pwinter

If by "inclined" you mean talented, I'd say no. But I do sing in our church choir (when choir resumes), but am certainly not a soloist. I played clarinet and tenor sax in high school. During this shutdown, I'm enjoying playing the sax again, but I'm afraid I'm permanently stuck at a high school level. I recently tried playing clarinet again, but I have too far to go to get back to any semblance of my HS virtuosity. :animlol:

Dr. Bill likes this.
  15. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I've always been musically inclined but never really became musically accomplished. My Dad played trumpet and I tried to learn Trombone but just couldn't "Get It". Later, tried to learn guitar and couldn't get that either. Also tried banjo.

Finally I learned to play a dulcimer which is a fairly simple four stringed instrument with two of the strings being a double string played together. I tuned it to a Mixolydian mode and eventually played it with a bow and was able to sit in with other "real" musicians and add something to the mix and used a barcus-berry pickup and a pignose amp

Then the top cracked on my dulcimer and I never got it fixed. Earlier I tried playing Harmonica and never really got any good at that, and then I got a dog that would howl when I tried to play the harmonica so I gave that up.The great thing about just trying to play different instruments was that it gave me a better appreciation for the sounds those instruments nd other instruments like them make.

Later in life a good friend who was a drummer and who knew of my lifelong love of music suggested that I find a community choir to sing in and I found an excellent choir that sang folk and world music and I sang tenor with them for a while until I got good enough to try out for a Gospel Choir and it was Black gospel and mostly black people in the choir.

I've always loves the Blues and the Blues is based in Gospel and I've always liked Gospel as well and I sang for them for 5 years until just last year when I started losing my voice. I was never good enough to be a soloist but I was good enough to blend in and it was Wonderful to be a part of that sound.

Dr. Bill and Doc Holliday like this.
  16. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

I have less than zero musical aptitude*:
    - zero ability to sing a single note on key
    - zero ability to play a musical instrument
    - zero ability to learn to dance
    - zero ability to follow the beat, time or rhythm
    - I have tried and tried and tried and failed every time

Consequently, I have zero musical appreciation:
    - I rarely listen to music.
    - I prefer the natural sounds of nature to any type of background music
    - Listening to music actually makes me feel anxious and fidgety
    - I can almost never understand any of the words being sung in a song
    - Therefore I find that it is impossible for me to sing along to a song on the radio
    - There is only one song that I know the words to: "Happy Birthday"

I can honestly say that I actually do not like music of any genre.

* Similar to what Mister FullClip said earlier, I also have less than a zero aptitude for learning a foreign language.

Edited to add: I have had my hearing tested by a Certified Audiologist at my Otolaryngologist's office. The most recent test was December 2019 BC (Before Coronavirus). My hearing in both ears was rated as being completely normal for my age.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    fx77 and FullClip like this.
  17. Lazy R

Lazy R

Started playing drums at about age 5 or 6. Have gotten awfully good at it.

It's great exercise too.

[​IMG]

18. slym2none

slym2none Ain't got the Wu Flu.

I can hold a tune with my voice, but I wouldn't say I could sing.

I have been playing guitar for over half my life. I am still a beginner, mostly due to actual hand-eye coordination problems. It's amazing I can play as [email protected]$$ed as I can, but most people after 2-4 weeks are better than I am today.

Had to give up piano after a few years of trying. Drums are way beyond my physical scope.

19. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Shrill off pitch and a very limited range. Somewhere about what a Welsh Choir would call a Top Tenor. And not just to my internal ear, I’ve heard recordings. Just not good.

Wasatch likes this.
  20. John_AZ

John_AZ

I taught myself a few instruments as a kid. I wanted a drum set. My parents said no, it was too loud. So I saved up and bought the biggest amplifier and guitar I could afford.

Taught myself trumpet, mandolin and a little violin in school. The only thing I stuck with was guitar. I’m not the greatest anymore, just mess around with my daughter now and then

Dr. Bill likes this.