Are you happy where you live?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

According to this article, if you live in the west you're "happy" if you live in the south you're not so happy. Do you feel happy in the city/town where you live, or do you want to get out of where you live and move to a place where you will be happy?

Western cities fare best in well-being index

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-15-cities_N.htm

By Susan Page, USA TODAY
    Feeling down? You might consider a move to Boulder, Colo.

A massive new study of Americans' attitudes concludes that the city at the foot of the Rocky Mountains is home to the happiest, healthiest people in the United States. At the bottom of 162 large and medium-sized cities: Huntington, W.Va.

The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, based on interviews with more than 353,000 Americans during 2009, asked individuals to assess their jobs, finances, physical health, emotional state of mind and communities.

Click the above link to see how your city ranks.

"Most of our highest-scoring cities are found out West and most of our lowest-scoring cities are in the South," says research director Dan Witters. Wealthier communities typically score higher.

Residents of large cities — those with a population of 1 million or more — generally report higher levels of well-being and more optimism about the future than those in small or medium-sized cities. In small cities, at 250,000 or less, people are more likely to feel safe walking alone at night and have enough money for housing.

The study provides a city-by-city portrait of the nation's mood and a potential tool for policymakers.

Nine of the 10 cities that fare best on "life evaluation," assessments of life now and expectations in five years, boast a major university, a big military installation or a state Capitol — institutions that presumably provide some insulation from recession.

Overall, the top 10 cities include four in California, two in Utah and one each in Colorado and Hawaii. Of them, only the Holland, Mich., and Washington, D.C., metro areas are located in the Eastern or Central time zones.

Many of the bottom 10 are in economically embattled regions. Three are in the Alleghenies and three in the Rust Belt. Only Shreveport, La., and Modesto, Calif., are west of the Mississippi.

Boulder's setting, including a greenbelt of public lands around the city, may help explain its top ranking, Mayor Susan Osborne says. "We tend to have lots of opportunities for being outside," she says. The jobless rate is 5.7%, below the nation's 9.7%.

In his annual "state of the city" address Saturday, Huntington Mayor Kim Wolfe said budget cuts and layoffs were needed for his city to deal with the economic downturn. The city's jobless rate is 7.8%.

There are some places where people seem naturally upbeat. Baton Rouge is 44th overall, but in "life evaluation," the Mississippi River city is first.

How does your city rank in well-being?

A city-by-city look at how Americans feel about their jobs, their health, their lives and their futures.

2. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Utah has two cities in the top 10.

3. hatidua

hatidua

My town ranked #1 but I was going to post that I was fairly happy here before reading the rankings.

4. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Other than the stupid gun laws and moron drivers and shallow women, yeah I am pretty happy here. Weather is mild year round. Mountains, ocean/beach and desert all within a short drive. Tons of out door activities from golf to kayaking to shooting to backpacking and so forth.

:wavey:

5. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

6. TheBelly

TheBelly

It's not where I live... but I could definitely be staying in a better place. Only a little while longer.....

[​IMG]

7. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I moved from Tampa (after 15 years) 7 years ago to Missouri...could not have been happier. Hate the city, but sometimes miss it. This may not be the BEST place to be, but at least I'm not progressing backwards when it comes to being happy. :cool:

8. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Yep! Since the Rez I'm from is in 2 states (3 actually), Arizona and New Mexico always been like one state to me. At least central and northern AZ and NM. I really need to be around/serving other Indin folks as I've lived in other non-Indin areas and it just ain't the same as home. There's no place like home. Y'all come back safe from Iraq and Afgan.

9. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Heck I will never leave this. So yea, I'm good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Nope, hate it, will be moving as soon as I can afford to. Somewhere between Dallas and San Antonio would be great. Could be worse though, at least I'm in Texas, and not in a border town.

11. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

I hate having to drive into "Yewston" everyday for work. The wife and I are looking for work in S. Texas (my home) Arkansas (her parent's ranch), and Colorado.

I've been in Houston now for 8 years and the traffic, crime, and general city life is wearing on me and my wife. We're about ready to sell the house and just load of the truck and take a year off.

I want to see the USA before I'm too old or too dead.

12. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

It rains here like 200 days a year. So it's mostly always gray, gloomy and on the verge of cold.

Call me crazy, but when I went to visit SoCal, I was so happy. The sun, the huge palm trees, the warm weather in the non-summer months. I was loving it. Everyone I told I would like to live there to, looks at me like I am nuts.

13. Smashy

Smashy

After years in the rat cages I used to live in (San Francisco Bay area and Puget Sound area), I love where I live now. Real small town, slower pace of life, and this all around me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I''ll never go back to the big city again.

14. crazyrec12

crazyrec12 cornbread

I live in Austin and am pretty happy here, would like to live a little more out in the country, but you can't beat very mild winters and loose gun laws, I would like to live in the Pac NW but don't think I would like the long winters.

15. Hyksos

Hyksos

I'm happy in Florida, gainesville is kinda ehhh and very very liberal but I like the state. I wanna attend law school here and take the bar here and stay near my family in south Florida. Very happy overall, much better than NY (where I moved from at age 15.)

16. JMS

JMS 02

I hate Maryland. I'd be much happier in Southern California. The cost of living here is high b/c of our location to D.C., though one would have to be insane to want to make that commute on a daily basis.

17. Smashy

Smashy

Depends on which part. We don't have long winters. We actually have four normal seasons.

18. loki993

loki993

I guess is really depends on who you ask because If I loved in Boulder, no offense to anyone that may live there, my head might explode. Ive lived in Colorado Springs and I liked it ok, a bit expensive, but otherwise decent. Ive also Lived in Honululu and I really can say I enjoyed it all that much. Sure Hawaii is beautiful, although Honolulu isn't, but after a while I got cabin fever. It cost more to do anything in Hawaii, its very expansive. Its 800 dollars for a plane ticket out of there, unless your going to Vegas. You can really drive anywhere an what you can do there is fairly limited.

19. JimGlock

JimGlock

Nope! Live in MA. :(

20. dammechanic

dammechanic

Bakersfield CA so no.