Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
23,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my friends down in California make fun of me because I LOVE thrift stores, I LOVE to find a bargain, I LOVE to save money.

Without making it sound like bragging, yeah, I can shop at Macy's all day if I want to.

But I don't want to.

Somehow, the thought of spending $28.00 on a tank top just makes me ill.

Especially if I can get that tank top for $1.50 at a thrift store!

And kids' clothes. OMG kids' clothes. Eighteen bucks for a pair of 2T jeans? I think not!

Nothing is so cheery as strolling out of a thrift store with eight bags of clothing that only cost me fifteen bucks.

I like sales and savings at grocery stores, whatever stores, it doesn't matter. Two for one? Check the prices of the store brand? Cheaper? Go for it.

The only place I don't scrimp is on things like organic milks and cheeses and things. We try to eat better when we can.

I think this was because for most of my childhood, I was fairly "poor". And all my clothes came from thrift stores! I never had a problem with hand-me-downs, either.

So, just curious - are you thrifty because you need to be? Or because you want to be?

·
Sharon, you will be missed.
26,373 Posts
I LOVE GOODWILL! I sometimes feel a little guilty shopping there, but I donate a TON of stuff there every year, so I figure it evens out. I'm funny though, I'll buy MYSELF clothes there, or stuff for the house, but I don't buy the kids clothes there. I don't know why, it's my own little idiosyncracy. I also wont wear or buy old shoes, not that I begrudge anyone who DOES, it just bugs me.

I found out a secret recently , Our Target makes a delivery EVERY WEEK to our local Goodwill store of all the things that were overstock/irregular/out of season, whatever. BRAND NEW STUFF. You wont BELIEVE some of the deals you can get there! :shocked:

I usually shop the clearance racks at Target, I swear they GIVE stuff away, and for the kids, it's great, cause they grow out of it before they outwear it. I pass all of my oldest's stuff down to the youngest, but our middle is a girl, so as soon as she grows out of something, it either goes to a cousin, or to Goodwill.

Oh, and for the record, our local Salvation Army WAY OVERPRICES!!!! :faint:

I *WILL* pay full price if there is something that I am specificially looking for, but for the most part, I hate shopping anyway. :supergrin:

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
Thursday is $1.00 day at our Goodwills. I have one about 1 mile from my house and another about 3 miles away. Love to get jeans there. Took a friend there for $ day and she bought 10 pair for nieces all $'s. Crazy. Most of them name brands.

They have put many new ones around lately and have "upscaled" them.

I too, donate a lot. Do they give your a discount when you bring in items for donation? I think it's 20% off here.

Love the stores.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im a walmart family dollar type of gal. I can usually get stuff that looks like I paid alot when I actually didn\'t.

I also LOVE old navy and they are pretty reasonable:)

·
Bullseye?
715 Posts
Prior to completing nursing school, funds were short. I shopped at three local thrift shops and one consignment shop. Go often, look well, and you'd be surprised what you can find. I used to buy my business clothes off season and work them in later in the year.

Now, I have only a few "formal" pieces, all of which are multi-use. Most of my new stuff is casual from Gander, Marshall's or Old Navy. Still love looking for and finding bargains.

Lynn

·
Registered
431 Posts
I buy a lot of stuff from Old Navy. I don't usually buy things from thrift stores...not that I don't look, but because I can't find things that I like or that fit. We are lucky here that there are a ton of outlet stores - big name places that sell at really cheap prices. I wait for the huge sales and get things really cheap. I'm not a name-brand shopper, but I am particular on my jeans - I like Banana Republic jeans and watch their sales @ the outlet store very closely. If hte jeans aren't $30 or less, I will wait. But their jeans fit me the best, last the longest, and look the best.

There are a few consignment store in the "rich" parts of town that I will shop in. You can find some of the really designer brands pretty cheap too - some with tags still on them. You jsut have to get lucky. These places are great for formal-type pieces.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
There are very few items in my closet that I paid over $15 for. Other than one red sweater I got at Wally World for about $20 and a few Peace Frogs shirts, all of my clothes were bought on clearance. With the exception of my steel toed work boots and two pair of Burkies, all of my shoes were less than $15 a pair. Oh, I did pay $30 for a pair of Adidas last week but only because you just can't buy comfy shoes like that super cheap--I went with those as they were $10 cheaper than the Nikes. The *only* thing I pay full price for is a bra and I still try to get those on clearance.

I have lost quite a bit of weight recently and was mourning that I *had* to have a pair of jeans. I did not want to pay for them as I was hoping I won't be able to wear them too long :) I got lucky in finding a pair on sale for $20 and used a $15 coupon on it so I only paid $5 for them!

When I worked at JC Penney, I could combine our employee discount with rockbottom clearance pricing and picked up some killer buys there. For example, we got in hideous hot pink and bright orange sundresses last sping with a great orange sweater. They were like $80. I waited until clearance and coupon time and got one for $6. I bought lots of the St. John's Bay 3/4 sleeve tees last fall for less $4 each. A beautiful crocheted sweater for $5 after sale, coupon and discount that had been $40. I considered paying full price for it I wanted it so bad but just couldn't swing it and luckily, it hung around until I could get it in my budget (we were not supposed to hold items for ourselves). That discount is the ONLY thing I miss about working there. I did miss the friends I made there but since they are all gone... ;)

I have browsed thrift stores here but never found anything. Also, the prices were really high. Maybe it is because there is no competition in this area for them?

Yesterday I found a cute pair of black leather shoes I can wear with jeans or my cords for $5. My mom was suprised I paid that much for them I am such a cheapskate with shoes! Sharon mentioned Target--I picked up a killer pair of red leather mary jane clogs there for $4 that EVERYBODY wants to know where I got them at when I wear them :supergrin:

·
Southern Lady
14,751 Posts
Originally posted by rnchick

There are a few consignment store in the "rich" parts of town that I will shop in. You can find some of the really designer brands pretty cheap too - some with tags still on them. You jsut have to get lucky. These places are great for formal-type pieces. [/B]
Near my mother's condo in Winter Park, FL. I do find clothes in MY SIZE at these shops. Mom and I stumbled on a few of them last summer and I was quite pleased with my "finds"!

It is hard to find clothes that fit me in regular department stores...smaller petite sizes; I was amazed at what at found there.

I need to start shopping for next year; a major petite store in the malls closed there doors down here..."Casual Corner"...AKA Petite Sophisticates...I could always find jeans, slacks,professional dresses and blazers there. Back to the drawing board!:upeyes:

Oh, yeah! I was raised by a very frugal woman. I always check the clearance racks first. I have a hard time paying full price for anything.

Thank heaven my husband always tells me, "Honey, if you find it now...buy it, even if you don't need it now...you'll need it eventually and wish you bought it when you saw it!!" He's more generous than I am about those things!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I think it depends on what it is. I have found that there is a difference in the quality of things and the "you get what you pay for" deal. But if the good quality item is on sale, heck yeah, I'll take that. I do shop the clearance racks first.

I also get very excited when my favorite online yarn store has free shipping and yarn sales.

But, I don't shop all over the place because x store has item a cheaper than y store and I'm doing most of my shopping at y store. I simply do not have time for that. I go to Super Walmart to do my grocery shopping and my household shopping. I check out the clearance items once in while for kids clothing, but we have been very blessed to have so many hand me downs that I really do not need to purchase new clothing for them.

I have not been shopping for myself at thrift stores, although I'm not opposed to it. I suppose I think because of my size I won't find anything for me there. I get so disappointed in myself when I start looking for clothes and cannot find anything. I hate shopping - unless it's for yarn. ;)

But, there are things I will not skimp on. And it's usually because I've skimped in the past and found it not to work out.

But, I would hope that I'm being wise with the money instead of being cheap. There IS a difference. Being cheap is not wise. Choosing to spend $2 instead of $20 doesn't work if the $2 item falls apart. Wisdom is the key. ;)

·
Sharon, you will be missed.
26,373 Posts
Karen and Deb, you both brought up some good points.

Karen- I have found that at the fancy schmancy thrift store here (where as someone said you can find designer gowns with the tags still on them) a lot of the things have already been altered to fit someone of a particular size. That means, you might actually be MORE Likely to find something very nice, in a very petite size. However, that store is NOT CHEAP, comparatively speaking, because they are VERY selective about what they bring in, and honestly, it's a lot more "special occasion" type stuff.

Deb- you're absolutely right, I don't go out of my way to do ANY shopping to be honest. I hate it too, and I tend to try to clump my shopping together to get it over with. Although, again, you would be very very surprised to see the variety of sizes in some of the shops. Right now, Im unhappy with my figure, so it makes it even harder to buy clothes for me...and I have to pick up a swimsuit today for our vacation :worried: I wonder if Target carries burka swim suits?

·
What's Up Dox?
6,801 Posts
Originally posted by kcb405
It is hard to find clothes that fit me in regular department stores...smaller petite sizes

a major petite store in the malls closed there doors down here..."Casual Corner"...AKA Petite Sophisticates...I could always find jeans, slacks,professional dresses and blazers there. Back to the drawing board!:upeyes:
Same here. I feel your pain.

I had no problem finding clothes before I lost all my weight. Now I find that virtually nobody carries a 2 small enough to fit or even a 0 in makers that run large. To make matters worse, I'm also petite just like you are.

My general rule is that if it's something I really need and it fits, I'll pay whatever price they are asking because I probably won't find it again later. I've been doing a lot of shopping lately for "vintage" clothing on EBay. I've gotten a miniskirt, a skort and a pair of shorts off there so far. They are Juniors size 3, which I cannot find around here anywhere and I didn't pay more than $10 with shipping for any of them. That's why I started looking for shorts online MONTHS ago...so I didn't get raped by big name retailers.

I am willing to pay full price for some items, like bras (because I wear them every day to work and they MUST be comfortable), swimwear (so that it will last more than one season), and food (like you G&KL) I stick to ground sirloin if I eat red meat at all, buy eggs laid by hens on a vegan diet, and make & can my own pizza sauce, salsa, etc. using home grown veggies in season. It just depends on the product.

I honestly don't care what other people think about my buying used clothing or getting hand me downs. I'm also not afraid to wear my old clothes from college since they still fit and are in good shape.

·
Southern Lady
14,751 Posts
Originally posted by SouthernGal
Same here. I feel your pain.

I had no problem finding clothes before I lost all my weight. Now I find that virtually nobody carries a 2 small enough to fit or even a 0 in makers that run large. To make matters worse, I'm also petite just like you are.

My general rule is that if it's something I really need and it fits, I'll pay whatever price they are asking because I probably won't find it again later. I've been doing a lot of shopping lately for "vintage" clothing on EBay. I've gotten a miniskirt, a skort and a pair of shorts off there so far. They are Juniors size 3, which I cannot find around here anywhere and I didn't pay more than $10 with shipping for any of them. That's why I started looking for shorts online MONTHS ago...so I didn't get raped by big name retailers.

I am willing to pay full price for some items, like bras (because I wear them every day to work and they MUST be comfortable), swimwear (so that it will last more than one season), and food (like you G&KL) I stick to ground sirloin if I eat red meat at all, buy eggs laid by hens on a vegan diet, and make & can my own pizza sauce, salsa, etc. using home grown veggies in season. It just depends on the product.

I honestly don't care what other people think about my buying used clothing or getting hand me downs. I'm also not afraid to wear my old clothes from college since they still fit and are in good shape.
What annoys me down here, is right now I want to buy sundresses, shorts and bathing suits...if I walk in the stores, I'll bet
they are selling Sweaters, Coats and jeans. They do the same in the Fall.

Hello....This is Florida. We need those clothes for about 2 months
in January! We can usually wear shorts 10 months out of the year!

It makes getting in the mood to shop, even more of a challenge!

Nothing in my size. Not in the mindset for winter clothes right now!

Our malls cater to tourists not residents!:upeyes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I started out being thrifty because I had to be. My ex was a loser and spent more time in the bar than at work so I was the breadwinner making a whopping $6/hour AND we had a child (and weren't eligible for public assistance because I "made" too much... go figure). Anyway, I had to save money and had to bargain shop as much as possible. Now I'm married to a good man who maked decent $$ and so do I but I'm still thrifty and bargain shop. Even got the hubby to do it too! I figure we work hard for our $$ so we need to get the most bang for our buck!

Yep, I'm a bargain shopper and proud of it. :)

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
I too, RARELY pay full price for anything. I watch for sales, shop
outlets, buy consignment & used often.

There are a few things tho that I will not look for "bargains" on.

1. Towels

2. Sheets

3. Brain surgery ;)

4. Appliances

5. Most cooking items. (pot's & pans, utinsels and the like)
Tried for YEARS to get Sis-in-law to pay $12.00 for a Swing-a Way
can opener. She thought is was too much to spend. After seeing her
buy several others, which never worked well, I bought her one.
Now she is hooked. Will last 10-15 years at least.

I don't buy expensive furniture because I get tired of it and want a change anyway.

·
Southern Lady
14,751 Posts
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
I got a skirt today at Target for * $3.74**** :shocked:

:thumbsup: I just LOVE it when I find something like that!

I had a year where I found the best dresses for those kind of
prices at JCPenney!

It was amazing!

That's been a while though!:rollsmiley:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
I got a skirt today at Target for * $3.74**** :shocked:
Kohls is great place for bargains like that when they have their 70% off clearance. I can't tell you how much I've saved buying clothes that way.

·
Banned
23,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh goody! I'm not the only one.

:woohoo: :dancingbanana:

I do agree about shoes and underwear though. I bought a pair of "slightly used" bluchers (kinda like closed-back clogs) on ebay once.

After sanitizing the crap out of them with Lysol, I realized that EVERY time I wore them, I got a backache, because the previous wearer obviously had different feet than me!

Undies...eh. I bought a used bra once. I love it. I figure it's never really touched someone else's naughty bits so it's cleanable, but regular undies are cheap (Hanes, $6.00 for a pack of six) and the kids' stuff is even less. I won't buy used cloth diapers either (back when I CD my kids...)

·
What's Up Dox?
6,801 Posts
Originally posted by Jaegergirl
Kohls is great place for bargains like that when they have their 70% off clearance. I can't tell you how much I've saved buying clothes that way.
I got a skirt there once for $5 in the juniors department. You're right, their clearance sales rock!

·
Wayward Member
5,249 Posts
i inherited the desire and ability to squeeze $ from stone...

there are three consignment stores around here... i shop there when they have sales. I like Kohls season-end sales, esp w/$10 off coupons. I had to stop shopping at Target when they kicked out the Salvation Army bell-ringers, but there's a Walmart a block past it, so i just go there. JCP has decent sales. One of my favorite things is putting all my purchases on Cabela's or LLBean visa, and then using the awards once a year to get stuff for nothing. And on those rare occasions when Mr.C is home and i have nothing more pressing, i leave the kids and go garage-saling for clothes for them (at 3 and 4 they trash their clothes too fast for me to buy everything new/full-price for them). There is a new flea market that just opened up 10 minutes away a couple months ago that i have been trying to see, too... i just hate to waste what little kid-free time i get on shopping. But i enjoy shopping for other people way more than i usually enjoy shopping for me.

Prior to purchasing anything, it is important to ask oneself this question, "Would I rather have x, or MORE AMMO?" It's embarrassing how often i'd rather have more ammo.

Mrs.C

1 - 20 of 36 Posts