Are You Breathing When You Yell "I Can't Breathe"?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LinuxLover, Jul 17, 2019.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I just saw a PBS article on the denial of accountability to the police officer who was accused of putting a death-choke hold on a non-compliant suspect.

I'm not asking for the arrest or of the apprehension - just that if you can yell that you cannot breathe, then where is the air coming from to voice those words - in this case eleven times?

In case you don't remember the situation, here's an excerpt of the news article......

Richard Donoghue, U.S. attorney in Brooklyn, said at a news conference that while Garner’s death was tragic, there was insufficient evidence to prove that Pantaleo or any other officers involved in the lethal confrontation had willfully violated his civil rights.

“Even if we could prove that Officer Pantaleo’s hold of Mr. Garner constituted unreasonable force, we would still have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Officer Pantaleo acted willfully in violation of the law,” Donoghue said.

Prosecutors in Brooklyn repeatedly watched video of the confrontation between Garner and police, Donoghue said, but weren’t convinced Pantaleo willfully violated the law in using a chokehold, which is banned under police department policy.

Pantaleo initially tried to use two approved restraint tactics on Garner, much larger at 6-foot-2 and about 400 pounds, but ended up wrapping his arm around Garner’s neck “in what was, in effect, a chokehold” for about seven seconds as they struggled against a glass storefront window and fell to the sidewalk, Donoghue said.

Garner’s death — after he refused to be handcuffed for allegedly selling loose, untaxed cigarettes — came at a time of growing public unrest over police killings of unarmed black men. Just weeks later, protests erupted in Ferguson, Mo., over the fatal shooting of unarmed teenager Michael Brown.

LINK HERE.

Me again, without any purple this time.....are there any people who have used the choke hold that heard the person in the hold protest that they cannot breathe?

PS: since this is basically a question for the police on this site to answer - or a military operand.... but I do not have the privileges to post in the LEO section to ask this question.

Hopefully I have not incensed someone......

1L26 and slamdunc like this.
  2. nursetim

nursetim

If they can talk, they have an airway.

3. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

"I can't breath" may indeed indicate a person is having difficulty breathing or other problem but it also indicates an open airway.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

4. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

Choke hold and headlock are two very different things.

The intent of one is to control the head. The intent of the other is to cutoff the supply of air and blood to the brain.

I was actually taught the shoulder pin in the academy, and volunteered to have it applied to me.

A 7 second headlock didn’t kill this guy. Being obese and abusing drugs did.

And yes, being able to talk means you are breathing and thus are not being choked.

5. IvanVic

IvanVic

More likely than not, he could breathe at times and others he couldn’t, depending on the effectiveness of the hold at any given moment.

Making declarative statements given the uncertainty here seems overly presumptive and indicative of bias, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from some people here.

paynter2 and Chui like this.
  6. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Can't breathe while you are fighting with the police? Good!

DrVlad, AdamRodgers, 1L26 and 5 others like this.
  7. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Basic first aid training teaches that if you can talk, you have airway and you're breathing. If you're screaming, you're breathing even more.

Obesity, bad heart and poor health killed him while he was fighting the police. A bad heart, obesity and poor health habits runs in his family because his 30-something adult daughter died recently from a heart attack. I'm sure the family wishes she was fighting the police at the time!

larry_minn, DrVlad, spork and 4 others like this.
  8. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

If someone as a layman not a medical professional has trouble breathing or extra effort to breath they may say " I can't breath".

They likely would not give a detailed medical description because they are not licensed professionals and do not have the necessary vocabulary and knowledge base, not subject matter expert.

In this case there was more than just a medical emergency. So any such statements would likely be discounted by the officer.

spork likes this.
  9. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

He weighed 400 pounds? There's your answer right there.

DrVlad, nursetim, 1L26 and 2 others like this.
  10. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

As far as I have ever been trained in First Aid, you go A., B., C. and are K.I.S.S.

Airway, Breathing, Circulation. Once you've got these, minimize blood loss and watch/treat for shock until the experts (EMTs) arrive.

Chui and spork like this.
  11. fg17

fg17

AdamRodgers, nursetim, spork and 2 others like this.
  12. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    This is incorrect; he was never "choked"....

There is absolutely no uncertainty about what happened in the Garner case to anyone who has any detailed knowledge of it.

DrVlad, AdamRodgers, Bruce M and 6 others like this.
  13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

If you’re going to fight, especially against multiple people at once, you should probably be in shape for it. Fat blobs tend to have hear attacks when they exert themselves.

AdamRodgers, Bruce M, 1L26 and 4 others like this.
  14. OGW

OGW SAF

You'll never make a living in the media...

larry_minn, Bruce M and jimcorbin like this.
  15. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

He can shove his head up his ass and fight for air!!

16. Dave514

Dave514

It only takes an exhale to say something.

It's easier to overcome a choke on exhalation than inhalation.

-JCN- likes this.
  17. JabbaNoBother

JabbaNoBother

Labored breathing has always been equaled to I cannot breathe. As in...Im not taking breathes normally.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

pblanc, spork and Glock Commando like this.
  18. Glock Commando

Glock Commando

Do you suppose Mr. Garner would have survived the encounter had he simply obeyed the officer's commands?

larry_minn, Cubdriver, DrVlad and 7 others like this.
  19. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Every post was very inciteful. Thanks everyone.

fg17 likes this.
  20. Blanton

Blanton

The question has been answered already. All the medical people including myself agree that it requires the movement of air to vocalize. If someone can talk they are moving air (breathing). If they don't relax, slow down (comply) they may hyperventilate

AdamRodgers likes this.