close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are You Allowed A Beard?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Peace Frog, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Peace Frog

Peace Frog ...............

Just curious...any LEO's here allowed allowed to wear a beard?

When I was in my teens KPD allowed officers to wear a beard if it was trimmed and clean...They don't anymore and the only LEO's I ever see with beards are some of the alphabet agencies.

Thanks!

:wavey:

2. pulaskipusher

pulaskipusher Topodaworldma!

Beards are OK as long as they are not grown on duty and it is kept trimmed.

3. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I am with one of the alphabet agencies, (BOP), and yes we're allowed a beard, even if it is long. However, supervisory staff usually have to be clean shaven for the most part, with the exception of a small amount of beard growth. I could actually get by with an orthodox beard if I wanted to, (think Hassidic, orthodox Jewish), complete with ear locks, and uncut corners.

4. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Can't say I know of any that allow anything other than an issued stache. Although most agencies are not likely to have to use gas masks, a beard would interfere with a good seal.

5. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

You would be surprised what you can stick in a gas mask, lol.

6. boomhower

boomhower

Not for uniformed patrol, a mustache is all you can do. No beards or goatees. One of the narcs grew a goatee and the admin went back and forth on that one, it's certainly never going to fly for patrol.

7. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Mustache only, and no I don't rock it...

8. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

mustache only for my agency. One day I might take enough to vacation to grow one. It has always been a running gag with the guys that anyone coming back from a long vacation (2-4) weeks must come back with a full blown mustache and rock it for atleast the first week back.

needless to say it is very clear that some people are born to wear a mustache, and some aren't.

9. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

The only facial hair allowed in my department is a mustache and not a single officer has one. I can't think of a PD in my county that permits anything beyond a 'stache.

The county below us, however has many officers with goatees.

I, personally, am not at all a fan the goatee-in-uniform look. I'd rather see a uniformed officer with a full sleeve tattoo then one with a goat. :whistling:

Drug guys, of course, should do whatever they need to in order to blend-in.

10. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

I have to agree. I've seen a few guys on Cops with goatee and beards in uniforms. I think it just plain looks weird.

I can't think of any departments in WV that allow a beard for patrol, although there might be a small PD here or there that does. I'm not sure that mustaches were even allowed with my last agency.(never seen one) It was very para-military and only the brass had long (by that I mean long enough to comb/part) hair.

11. josepavento

josepavento

Full beard or goatee allowed. Mustache as well. Must be well groomed. Sideburns no lower than the bottom of the ear.

12. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Every place I've ever worked, no beard was allowed, but my last department would allow you to have a beard if you had a medical reason that you couldn't shave. One of our officers had been in a wreck on his previous department and caught a ton of glass in his face, and was self conscious about it. He was the only non-medical exception.

Personally, I think beards or goatees in uniform look unprofessional, but it's not my call, so... :dunno:

13. Peace Frog

I don't get the whole goatee thing...its full beard for me or nothing.I don't get the beards that are outlined down the jawbone either.Then again I'm not in LE and I do understand policy but I never got why most agencies don't allow beards...I've had a beard since I got out of the Army in 1986,I think nobody would recognize me if I shaved it off.

Also I know 5 local LEO's who have retired and everyone of them has grown a full beard or goatee...Rebellion? :rofl:

14. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

Peace Frog,
    You dont' need a beard, man! Those days are over! Just be proud of who you are. There are laws in place to protect you now. Oh...wait...I think I may have misunderstood your post. :whistling:
    Gonzo

15. Knute

Knute "Nothin"

I've been wearing a full beard for almost 2 years now (patrol included) and a goatee for 6 years before that. I've never had an issue with a failed seal on any gas mask. I don't mind them for patrol, but they do bother me for dress uniform reasons. So when I have dressed for things such as LODD funeral I have shaved it off.

16. Peace Frog

:rofl:

No Sir...that's not the way I roll.

Seriously though,when I was in the Army I had to shave morning and at noon.I got several warnings about shaving.They didn't believe I could have that much stubble at noon if I shaved in the morning.Not long after Top had the BC write a profile for me that my beard did in fact grow that fast and I didn't have to dry shave if ordered to.
    When I got out I just grew a beard,easier than shaving two or three times a day.Had one ever since.

17. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

No way.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  18. USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

Mustache that is well groomed only!

19. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Rock the Burnside! [​IMG]

20. nikerret