Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you friendly with strangers? Say the person at the coffee shop serving you coffee...do you smile, use manners, say, "have a good one," etc?
or do you mumble your order with a stern look and walk away?

Hold doors open for people, be it a man or a woman? Hold the elevator? Help people out who need it, say broken down on the side of the road?

I notice that a lot of people grumble through their days with a pissed off attitude, act like everybody on the road is trying to cut them off or mess with them, pick a reason to be upset with people...

And I realized that these people are an absolute nightmare to be around. My life is not perfect, but if you do little things every day to make small talk with somebody, or help somebody get their car unstuck from the snow, find an address, etc. it makes people happy, and it gives you a feeling of joy for being able to help someone out.

The other day I was in line at the grocery store, and the cashier told the guy that if he had spent another two bucks, he could've got 10% off his whole bill, or something like that. But she said she would have to cancel his whole order because she couldn't keep people waiting (I was the only one behind him).
I overheard this, smiled and told him I wouldn't mind waiting if he wanted to go get something. He did, and he was so happy and appreciative for the small gesture.

So with this in mind, why act like a jerk? We all have things going on in our lives that aren't fun, but why take it out on strangers?
When I'm friendly with people I feel less stressed out, less tense, more at ease.

So yeah, are you a nice person in your day to day life, standoffish and hostile or just kind of spaced out?

·
Banned
2,264 Posts
Yes. I'm nice to everyone I meet unless they give me a reason not to be...

I'm that guy that will hold the door for you, let you go ahead if I'm not in a hurry, etc. I would have done what you did at the cash register.

That doesn't mean I'm a pushover, far from it....

I have noticed manners depend alot upon your home environment growing up. In different parts of town, people are not like me. In other parts, they are.

·
clever quip
1,165 Posts
Im friendly until Im given a good reason not to be. I hold doors(for females), say please and thank you and have a nice day and all that.

·
5th of November
1,528 Posts
I am a very nice person, now **** off!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I try to be extremely polite and friendly unless I have a reason not to be. Why try to be a jerk?

·
Use Linux!
15,639 Posts
Depends... most times I am cordial and polite but if the vibe doesn't jive... then I am not rude per se just cold.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I try to be as nice as possible. I do have days when I guess I come across as a little bit of an a$&*%$# but who dosent? I do hold the door open for women and I get up for them too if they need room or a seat or whatever.

·
Banned
19,326 Posts
I'm kind of standoffish, but I am very polite and I'll help someone if need be, unless they ook me out for whatever reason.

·
6,997 Posts
A smile and a little courtesy goes long way, but I tend to be a cynic when dealing with strangers.

·
Helicopter Nut
7,762 Posts
I'm nice to all people no matter what but only give them two chances. Everybody has a bad day.
Avoid all people that does not bring happiness.
Chinese proverb.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
I'm a nice/polite pessimist. Lots of things have turned me from being an optimist.

·
NRA4EVR
11,697 Posts
I try to greet everyone with a big smile and act happy, even if I'm not. In my line of work, like in most other jobs, a smile, sincere greeting and some real interest in other people goes a long way. Treat everyone well - not because there's something in it for you, but because it's the right thing to do.

As a jackbooted thug, it's also important to remember that I might be the one contact someone has with a law enforcement officer, and how I act will form their impression not only of me and my agency, but possibly of the profession as a whole. People, both good and bad, also tend to provide more the info that we live on when they like you.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
1,405 Posts
In general I'm nice, occassionally I'm in a bad mood and then am just quiet or cold.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Generally antisocial, enough that a friend of a friend suspects I have mild Aspergers.

Really I just feel uncomfortable in crowds of people I don't know. Been smacked around socially enough to just say "eff it" and stay on the fringe. Seriously considered getting a tattoo saying "No good deed goes unpunished".

But I'm polite and like to help people, enough that they let me know it's not needed.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
At work - 100% positive, friendly and helpful (work in different places with different people consistently) - even if given license not to be. I can't stand working with grumpy/irate/rude people, so I never conduct myself in that fashion.

To the general public at large - 9 out 10 times absolutely.

Someone who earns my indifference by being a nozzle unacceptably just gets ignored on all but a threat-assessment basis. If harassing me and I can't remove myself, i'll give as good as I get until I can go.

Around groups of friends - see general public.

Around very close friends in very small numbers - always nice, always friendly, not always positive.

A stranger always gets a friendly/helpful disposition unless they earn otherwise. Innocent until proven guilty.

I interact with the world the way I want it to interact with me. Seems to get me a lot further then assuming the world owes me something.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts