close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are we seeing Muchausen-by-Toyota reports?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MCPreacher, Mar 11, 2010.

1. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

Seems like it has gotten a LOT worse since the news is full of dire warnings.

Recent reports:

Fat guy (reaching for another doughnut) crashes Tercel, blames Toyota.
    Hipster (drops his phone) crashes Prius, blames Toyota.
    Soccer Mom (putting on makeup) crashes Camry, blames Toyota.

Not saying Toyota is blameless... drive by wire consumer cars are scary, but they are also a deep-pocket company that is easy to scapegoat.

2. silentpoet

silentpoet

I think at least some of the cases are operator error.

3. bchandler

bchandler

I'd bet 90% of the cases reported are just people who wrecked their Toyotas in a normal fashion, and are using the recall as a plausible excuse to get out of paying/liability/insurance increases.

4. sputnik767

sputnik767

I would bet that most of the cases are driver error, and I consider all of the floormat cases as driver error. I also consider everyone that crashed because they don't know how to use the neutral gear (including the Prius moron who was afraid the car would "flip over") as "at fault" for the accident. Some accelerations-induced accidents are unavoidable, but if you were driving at high speed for 5 mins and crashed (as the police officer in the Lexus), then you are negligent in operating your motor vehicle. Drive by wire is not responsible for this issue, so let's not blame the electronic gas pedal. The pedal got stuck in all instances, be it a floormat or a defective part.

The Prius incident seems very fishy to me, because as far as I know, the Prius has a gas override system when the brakes are engaged.

As far as why this is getting such media coverage? Simply put, our government owns two of our automakers, and this is a very convenient scapegoat to sell more GM and Chrysler crap on a naive and impressionable public. I certainly don't remember the CEO of Ford getting dragged before congress when F150s were going up in flames inside people's garages (while turned off) because of a short circuit in the cruise control system.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  5. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Makes all the union boys happy.
    :whistling:

6. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Back when I had Driver's ed they taught us what to do if the car won't stop. I can't believe some of the stories I'm hearing.

Many years ago folks were blaming Audi when they accidentally ran over their own kids. I think its a similar thing going on here.

7. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I don't give a damn what the media are crying about, because the loud and everlasting cry is their job.
    That's it.
    I really would like to believe that we are not about to find that the most trusted company in the car industry was screwed the clients for years just to save a few bucks.
    However my own experience with the latest Toyotas (3 of them exactly) seems to be in contrary to the reputation of the japanese giant, so maybe there is a thing behind this cry.
    Who knows...:whistling:

8. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

No, we are seeing, 'here's my chance to fake it, get a danged lawyer and end up with a million dollars I didn't work for' syndrome. :upeyes:

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

BTW, if you look under the hood of every single consumer car produced within the last 6 years or so, you will find that they are all drive-by-wire as far as the gas pedal is concerned. There is nothing wrong with that system, and should something electronic go wrong, there are plenty of safeguards, including a "limp home" mode. To me this is sort of like people that claim a semi-auto will never be as reliable as a revolver, which is not true. They all have their pluses and minuses.

10. windplex

windplex

There will be opportunists. Toyota oppened the door to it. Don't like it much.

If toyota had been honest 6 months to 6 years ago they would have less of a problem now.

In the trade it has been well known for a while that toyota does not have a fix. they merely have a fail-safe software patch -- if two conditions exist at the same time (brake and gas) then go to idle. But the underlying problem is too deeply embedded in software and hardware to be "fixed". they have no idea how to resolve it. nothing to do with brake pedals and mats.

If you have a toyota place electrical tape to mark where neutral is so you can throw the tranny into neutral when the problem crops up.

If toyota's computer fault system showed the malfunction after it happened then fakers would have a difficult time. as it stands toyota has no leg to stand on with those who want to steal from them. Toyota turned a blind eye to deaths so I guess I won't shed a tear.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  11. Ragnar

Ragnar

Really? My WRX has a direct cable linkage between the gas pedal and injectors.

12. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

All I have to say is that my Yugo always stopped when I applied the brakes. Problem was getting started again.

13. ElectricZombie

ElectricZombie

While there are problems with some Toyota vehicles, I imagine that many of these instances are simply made up.

14. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

15. mymini40

mymini40

Exactly the point.Scammers are everywhere waiting for chance to profit.

16. sputnik767

sputnik767

That surprises me somewhat. My parents have 2 Mazda 3 cars and one civic, both of which are electronic pedals. My mom's older Altima had an electronic pedal. My '03 tacoma has a cable, but some '03 models have electronic. Anyone with a newer American car care to chime in?

17. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

My 09 Wrangler has drive-by-wire.

18. BobbyT

BobbyT

Pedal and injectors? Sure you don't mean throttle?
    Anyway, I had no clue drive by wire was so common--I know a fair amount of cars have it, but I thought the default was still mechanical.

And anyway, this Toyota thing shows how useless and dependent we've become thanks to trial lawyers and the Nanny State.

Apparently cars are now mysterious terrifying alien devices, and people can't think to take the very basic step of throwing the thing in neutral. This latest guy who just rode his brakes until they were about melted through was even told to by the cop on the phone, and refused to out of fear it would make the car roll over.

Wtf?

19. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

we are a nation of idiots trying to blame good cars for our poor driving skills.

20. plainsman

plainsman

I worked for a Ford dealership once and they given "customer good will money", but if they didn't spend it on customers, it went to them.

I bought a new toyota, and noticed all the tires looked like crap, both physically, and more importantly, the side walls had numerious "dents" and "bulges". I took it back to the dealer saying that if I had 4 bad tires, they should issue a investigation, and not for my benefit alone, but probably recall ALL of these brand tires. I went to two dealers, who never would do anything about it.

Toyota 's are good cars, but the AH who refuses to address these problems brought this upon themselves.