close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are we raising a culture of losers? (no pictures)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Jan 24, 2013.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

That only works if the marriage holds, and statistics say that's a crap-shoot. HH

2. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

They got married immediately out of college. I expressed my concerns to both of them, once, individually.

I've been married almost 30 years. His parents, much longer. That probably a good example.

They are three years out of college, and are very close to being "The 1%".

They are young and it's their life now. So be it.

3. caraker0341

caraker0341

Ahhh, a post with actual wisdom in it. Someone get a Mod on this, ASAP!

4. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

This applies to nobody in general, so don't get ****ing butthurt. Just speaking out loud, FWIW.

Its unfair to paint the younger generations with a broad brush as "losers", etc.

I'm 24 years old. I joined the U.S. Army at 17 years old. I've been married since I was 19 years old.

Emotionally, I've seen more than an average 45-50 year old.

Physically, I've seen more than almost any 45-50 year old.

I've been around the world multiple times........ I've touched the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers in Iraq........I've walked the mountains near Kandahar, Afghanistan.

I've fired my weapon at a living, breathing human being on more than one occasion.

I've physically seen 7 of my friends die, between Iraq and Afghanistan.

I've been to 22 memorial services for KIA in my units.

I've lead people into harms way.......at only 24 years old.

I'm currently walking the mountains of South Korea.

I've only seen two of my Anniversaries. I've been married 5 years.

My combined income between myself and my wife is roughly $77,000 a year.

I'm not college educated.

I've WORKED for every God damn ****ing thing I have. I've sacrificed blood, sweat, tears, being home for birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, etc, for what I have.

DO NOT paint me with a broad brush, because you have no ****ing idea who I am, where I've been, or what I've done.

You are who you are; its not your parents job to ****ing baby you. You either decide you want to contribute to this world, or you don't. I owe nothing to anybody, and I don't expect anybody to give anything to me. I expect to work for anything in life.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Thank you for your service.

6. iDivideByZero

iDivideByZero Padawan

I don't understand why people feel the need to paint generations with these broad strokes from the ole'stereotyping paintbrush. Lets be honest about the WW2 generation, there were those who stepped up when called upon, but some of the posts on here make it sound like every single person was a John Basilone. Every generation has hardship, and there are those that step up and face it with conviction and courage. Likewise, every generation has its share of losers and whiners. At the end of the day, we have grown up watching movies and tv shows, reading books and newspaper articles that idolize and place those from past generations on a pedestal. The history that we're taught in school is watered down, focusing on events that are emphasized as key, while neglecting other equally (or even more so) important parts. Today, everyone's voice is heard across the internet, and the media is more pervasive while serving their own agenda to the populace. The majority of people will have more to say about the negative they view today, simply because they forget (or are ignorant) about the errors and faults of our past. Has our society changed for worse? In some ways, but in others it has grown and become greater than it was. Irregardless, you simply can not make blanket statements about generations. Especially in a country like America that is composed of such a diverse populace.

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The "average" salary in the US is fifty k a year. Most of these people that tell you that you need to live alone are either wealthy or in areas that it takes a ton less to live. It takes me sixty k a year to pay my obligations in the Dc area and I am single with no kids. As we get more and more diverse in America we will be back to multiple family living etc. Prices are way too high for the average person nowadays.

8. norton

norton

Everything is relative. Things cost less in the past because people made less money. I started as a claims adjuster with a multiple lines property and casualty ins company in 1975 for $9100 annual salary. And I had to earn a 4 year college degree to get that.

But my 2 bedroom apt in a very good part of North Indianapolis (Carmel) was $150 per month.

My mother who had an RN degree retired after 40 years as a charge nurse in 1984. She never earned more then $18,000 per year.
    My Dad also retired in 1984. Classroom teacher in Science, 4 year degree and Masters-the most he ever earned was $30,000 per year.

9. norton

norton

My beef with many of these threads is the dismissal of what the Greatest Generation did-
    I got on a web site and found the small county I live in in northeastern Indiana. The largest city in this county has about 35,000 people. It has not shrunk since the days of WW2.
    More then 100 individuals from my county alone made the supereme sacrifice in WW2.
    Lets give those folks the credit they deserve. Just as select individuals from the following generations deserve.

10. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I lived at home for a good while after collage. While I did so, I paid my fathers house off and supported him until he was able to collect social security.

I lived there long enough to save up enough money to purchase my own home. I have a collage degree and currently earn $50k per year.

And yes, I still help support my father.

I guess everyone that has lived at home and talks to their parent(s) daily are a looser. :upeyes:

I'm not going to tell the OP where to stick it since he's so smart, he should be able to figure that out on his own.

:wavey:

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

I stoped reading after "I am 23 years old and I live at home ". Sorry.

12. I Shoot Guns

I Shoot Guns

Oh well excuse me, tough guy.

You actually stopped reading after the "overweight 50 year old" part. Hit a touchy spot?

Don't worry, you can feel better about yourself by telling 20 year olds that they will never cruise through life with the same vigor and independence you did!

13. iDivideByZero

iDivideByZero Padawan

:dunno:
    I agree. I myself am a veteran, and members of my family have fought in every major military conflict dating back to the Revolution (but just for the South in the Civil War :tongueout:). I have a lot of people in my family that I have the utmost respect for, and then there are those that are best not spoken of ... There are those of every generation that are exemplary, those that legends are made of ... those that history chooses to forget .. and then the ones so terrible that we can never forget. In the end, respect and disgust are not based solely upon military performance, we would be an awfully narrow-viewed society if that was the case. There are many measures to base someone's worth from. None of them allow you to stereotype the entire generation.

14. iDivideByZero

iDivideByZero Padawan

Forgive me, because it is Saturday night, and I just got home from the bar ... and I'm trying to think of the most excellent way to be a dick about this:

Collage - [​IMG]

College - [​IMG]

I personally think it is pretty awesome you get $50k a year making collages [​IMG]

... PS if you can't laugh at this I really think you should grow thicker skin, or get off the internet. Cheers :cheers:

15. sputnik767

sputnik767

Perhaps I am out of touch with reality, so please enlighten me as to what exactly is wrong with living at home at 23 years old? And just to set the record straight, I moved out when I was 22 and am currently 27. Honestly, is it really better to squeak by in some roach-infested apartment in a gang-controlled neighborhood while you are earning your degree or looking for a job? Does that somehow make you a better man? Or are you just an idiot who declined the help of his parents because of some ego trip? It's one thing if your parents are unable or unwilling to help, but otherwise your mentality is stupid. Sorry, but not all of us had the good fortune of entering the job market in a booming economy. Furthermore, I had the good fortune of finding a job right after college (see my post a couple pages back), which enabled me to move out. Many were not so lucky, especially now.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  16. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Neo, I normally don't do this but....

Its college. Once is a typo. Twice is....

BTW remember, I am pro this generation.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. LEOson

LEOson

You know, not all of us in our early 20s that still live at home are losers. Some of us live at home because we pay our own way through school and can't afford to live on our own.

18. Firecop203

Firecop203

Sounds a lot like my girlfriend and her daughter. The daughter is married and living in CA with her Marine husband with two kids.

Always a two hour phone call every other day. Constantly on facebook or texting. I made both of them mad at me not long ago. I told them that they would have seizures if either one of them farted and the other didn't know about it.

19. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

OK, granted some of you live at home for financial reasons. But man, it sure seems like I touched a nerve with most of you.

Let me ask all of you that live at home for financial reasons a question, who does your laundry? Who cooks your meals?

If the answer is "mommy", society's answer is " looooser".

I learned more about being an adult the first year I lived on my own, than I did four years in college. Give it a try, I think you'll enjoy it.

And is it better to live in some crappy one room apartment, than to live at home with mommy & daddy? It is if you want to be an adult.

20. GWG19

GWG19

Sorry but I'd did not read all 7 pages of the responses.

I don't see a problem with a 23 year old living at home who has full time job or is going to school. I don't think most people here do. It is the ones who hang out all day that is the problem.

2000/2001-Present - New Silent Generation or Generation Z
    Status and still very dependent as they are kids.
    1980-2000 - Millennials or Generation Y
    Currently some are fighting in Iraq and Afganistan, others are struggling to find their way and break free from mom and dad. A lot of this generation has not been able to experience the prosperity that their parents have nor do they want to work for it. They are even more den dang than mom and dad because of being raised in a dependant culture.
    1965-1979 - Generation X
    My generation, a real problem here. Questionable attitudes continue to perpetuate. A lot of this generation has not been able to experience the prosperity that their parents have nor do they want to work for it. The later part of generation X is the product of don't spank your child crap. A lot of the 20 year old kids are out of college and living with mom and dad because they don't want to work for less than what dad makes.
    1946-1964 - Baby Boom
    My wife's generation. Again a lot of this generation are seeing their 30 and 40 year old kids living in mom and dads basement. A lot of their kids are not taking jobs because they can't live in the same comfort as mom and dad. This generation also brought us Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll. As well as a very questionable change in attitude towards letting everyone do what they want.

The problems have perpetuated from generation to generation. Each time the morales, drive and work ethic receding a little bit more. There will always be exceptions in the generations the ones that do us proud.
    My step son was a dependant emotional wreck. How ever he got up and went to work evey day. He kept his crappy job as server in a restaurant, with always the promise of a management position hanging over him. He finished two years of college and lost all drive to be successful when he saw you had to work really hard. It was easier to scrape by than try to advance himself. He did live out on his own and was married, but it took our support from them to get by.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013