close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are we raising a culture of losers? (no pictures)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Jan 24, 2013.

1. sputnik767

sputnik767

Pretty much this. There have always been people who depended on their parents long after they should be independent, and there have always been parents that coddled their kids to the point that they can't do a thing for themselves. On the flipside, there still are plenty of people who make it without parental support, whose parents are unwilling or unable to help out, etc. One example should not cast doubt on an entire generation of people.

2. JW1178

JW1178

Yeah, try that in 2013 and she marries off to the drop out mooch than hangs out in the dorms all day playing X-box and smoking weed. (if not a drop-out, a liberal arts student, often very hard to tell apart)

College campuses are often the hangout where some of the biggest losers, "occupy".

3. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Sounds exactly like the Union workers I used to work around in Seattle. :upeyes:

4. rppnj

rppnj

"Are we raising a culture of losers?"

Absolutely!!! I'm so glad to be retired! I was getting so tired of the whining. The young people entering the workforce have been so coddled by their parents, the schools and our nanny government that they are unable to accept the mildest of constructive criticism without whining about it. When everything they've ever done is a 'good job'; when everyone gets a trophy; when eveyone wins and nobody loses; when everyone gets a ribbon with a medal and every word is a 'pearl of wisdom' etc, etc. This once great country is now breeding a generation of loser/slackers! When consciencious workers who question 'sub-par' work are looked upon as 'rocking the boat' and the loser/slackers are viewed as 'cool', the country is doomed.

5. The Maggy

The Maggy

I have been there and I have done that. So have many of my friends. We went to fight when asked, not told.

We went door to door through Tikrit in 2005. We fought through Baghdad during the surge. We walked the Iranian boarder looking for smugglers. After all of that I am simply a college student looking for a part time job to off set my cost of living while I am a student in college.

My current situation leaves me with many "thank you for your service"s but thank you's don't pay the bills. People are currently worried about the national unemployment rate, OIF and IEF veterans currently have an unemployment rate that are almost double the national average.

WW2 vets came home to a booming economy that was fed by their introduction and their demands into the economy. OIF and OEF vets have been dropped offf into an envoronment where everyone wants to say thank you but thank you does not pay the bills. As a fourth year college student, thank you doesn't pay my tuition either.

If an ex-nco of one of the premier combat units in the Army is regularly met with "you're not what we are looking for"; how exactly do you think a person less qualified than myself (i.e. most any recent college graduate that has little to no work experience) is fairing on the open market right now?

Without a support structure, you would have a lot of over qualified people standing in the soup line right now.

6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Yes, a generation has been asked to "put things right". The economic mess we are in is mostly entitlements to the old people. The spending is unsustainable and they know it. But suggest that something is done to right the ship and what does the GG an BB do? They scream bloody murder.

Instead they want to finance their current living standards via their grandchildren (and great grandchildren) labor and future prosperity.

Which generation is losers?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. norton

norton

This intergenerational war was brought to you by short sighted liberals who couldn't wait to spend other peoples money. Like Lyndon Johnson and his great society. Young people are angry because they have to pay for grandma and grandpa's golden years. Grandma and Grandpa paid into a system for many years and feel they are owned something. Whats the answer? Everyone has to give a little. No generation is "losers". But if you voted to sustain the current administration, you are part of the problem, not the solution.

8. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

If you raised an idiot, I guess that's what you get.

9. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"The economic mess we are in is mostly entitlements to the old people."

If you don't count the banking failures & fraud, the Wall Street mess, derivatives, Enron, the mortgage mess, federal/state/local spending and all the rest. And don't get me started on the Federal Reserve policies.

So yeah, it must be all the fault of the old retired folks. Sheesh.

Good thing my parents saved and invested, because my mother's $900/month Social Security retirement check doesn't begin to cover her $8200/month nursing home bill for dementia care. I refuse to add up what the last 6 years of care have cost because I don't want to know.

From '07 until he died in 8/11, my father's assisted living bill was about $7500/month. He should have been in nursing, but we worked around it by hiring health aides to keep him where he was (in the building next to my mother.)

Her Medicare costs $99/mo and her school board retiree health insurance is another $225. Medicare is required OR you don't get to buy the group plan. There's no way around it.

So in conclusion, if you're going to insult ALL the old folks, you'd better get your facts straight first.

John

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

Even when you count that stuff, the economic mess we are in is mostly entitlements to old people.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You, maybe, but collectively? Impose a draft right now and it would make the draft card burners of the 60's look like beginners. Multiply draft resistance in 1968 by about 20,000,000. Of course, the resistance is so strong, we couldn't even impose a draft right now.

12. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

How's that sensitivity training going for ya?

:whistling: :rofl: :wavey:

13. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

I have three boys. I think they'll all turn out well, and not like the kid the OP posted about. Parenting isn't easy, but if you want good kids you've got to be a good parent. Raise 'em right.

Just got a report card for my oldest. All A's and B's. I'm ok with that (A's in math, science and social studies). Plus he's in the Advanced Program (got in based on rocking some test scores). Plus he's a very skilled shooter at a young age. Some kids are spoiled brats. Spend some time with your kids, teach them right and wrong, and they'll be ok. I'm looking forward to basketball games tomorrow (both of my big kids are playing in leagues).

p.s. I don't think starting my oldest in karate at age 3 hurt either.

14. robrides85

robrides85

I have the same feelings about someone a decade younger than me, but then remember that I went through the same transitions that they're going through. Were you truly that much different at their age?

Yep. Neither Romney nor Obama were interested in touching Medicare/Social Security with a ten foot pole during the debates. Too much spending? What's that?

15. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

So... basically... the only two options for women who are "doing it right" are high-class hooker and low-class hooker?

Are all the non-dependent, capable, and self sufficient women "doing it wrong?"

16. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Not going well apparently... caused someone else to wet themselves when I whipped out my Gerber to solve a technical problem. Loved the look of terror on his face... made my day! Man... I am such a meanie!

17. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Just what problem do you solve with baby food? :headscratch:

18. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

[​IMG]

19. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Hopefully the school doesnt have a "weapons/knife" policy in place or I would imagine another trip to HR is in your future.

Dude, you have GOT to find another place to live and work.
    No sarcasm meant
    You really seem unhappy there.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Reminds me of our weekly bicycle offroad uphill races in my childhood, and one day one of my cousins almost burst out into tears crying out "when will I ever win :crying:"

Our respons was "when you quit sucking" :tongueout:
    We ended up in a fist fight. Not sure who won the mutual ass whuppin but he sure as hell never won the bike race :rofl:

Today he is a successful buiness man and makes 10 times the money I do :shocked: