Are Vaccinations Really Needed?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Gino, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Are we being taken by our vets? Why do we vaccinate every year? We humans don't need to be vaccinated every year for every disease, why do our dogs?

I know that there is a two year shot for rabies. Actually I have been told by a vet that EVERY rabies shot is a two year shot. However, if you don't pay the extra money, they don't fill out the paperwork as a two year shot, just a one year shot.

I waited out last year, no vaccinations. I figure this year I'll prob do them again. Maybe every two years is better?

I've read a lot on the net against every year vaccination. Just wondering what the GT trust thinks.

BTW, this is NOT an argument against all vaccinations, of course get your puppy/kitten vaccinated!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  2. bharen

bharen

It's simple. Dogs have a tendency to do things that expose them to stuff they need vaccinations for - like chase rabid animals (rabies shot), or eat deer poop (worming). They are also subjected to diseases that don't affect humans, like heartworm. Plus, they can't smear themselves with insect repellent to keep fleas, ticks and mosquitoes at bay. You are the dog's 'parent' and it's up to you to take the necessary preventive measures to keep your kids healthy. They can't do it for themselves.

3. Gokyo

Gokyo

My dad is a veterinarian. He used to run a vaccine clinic day. He would administer the vaccines at near cost + $10 office visit fee. I imagine there is a DVM in you area that has a similar thing going.

If your pet is health just get the shots and skip the whole check up.

4. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

Don't forget the humans. There are ppl wandering the earth could dearly use a double shot for distemper.

5. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

I'm not against vaccinations, just against UNNEEDED vaccinations. You and I don't get vaccinations every year, why do it to our dogs when it is unneeded?

The only reason that vaccinations are every year, is because that is what the vaccine companies put on the vaccines. If your vet goes against these recommendations, they open themselves up to liability. There is a serious conflict of interest here. Your vet makes a lot of money from vaccinations...

6. Delleetodd

Delleetodd

My dog received all his shots up to the age of 1. Besides rabies (I do 3 year shots) he will not get any more vaccinations. Vaccinations last many years, sometimes a lifetime and some are totally unnecessary. I believe that over vaccinating can eventually kill your pet. My daughter is also not vaccinated. She hasn't been sick in her 7 month life and she is already standing and beginning to talk.

Attached Files:

7. blkpag1

blkpag1

I have a whippet that had a reaction to one of the vaccines at 6 months. Since our vet was aware of this and knew of our concern (another reaction like this would probably kill her) she suggested that we just have her blood work done every year to see if the vaccine is still working (this did cost about twice the price of just having the vaccine every year). This was the first year that we had her tested that one of the vaccines needed updated (she is now 11).

8. BLACKDUST

BLACKDUST Mr .Joshua

Our vet and other vets have over the years cut back on vaccines and only now get certain ones . I get ours from TS or mobile vet units .

9. peng

peng

My vet pretty much said they give annual rabies vaccinations even though there is a 3 year option. She said if they give the 3 year, they will not see the pet again for 3 years. Not sure if this is an animal welfare or revenue stream concern...

Some things are more important than others. I would just tell your vet you want to minimize vaccinations and see what happens. Vets tend to do things to make the person with the wallet happy, right? Dogs are cute but they can't pay the bills.

10. BLACKDUST

BLACKDUST Mr .Joshua

I think we get the leprosis shot and the dllp cluster shot. I of course spelled it wrong

11. kdj70

kdj70

I "inherited" a very large, sweet, Lab/GSD mix from my brother in law when he and his then girlfriend split and were moving. Didn't know he hadn't gotten DHPP vaccine. I got to watch my big boy suffer from Distemper until we had to put him to sleep. Still makes my eyes tear up thinking about it. So my answer is yes. Use a good, trusted vet and listen to them.
    RIP Bandit.

12. TheBigCroaker

TheBigCroaker

Did a lot of research online and came to the following conclusions:
    Many vaccinations are unnecessary;
    Vaccines protect way longer than the recommended time limit;
    Some vaccines are/can be harmful to your pet;
    There is a simple blood test (way cheaper than multiple recurring vaccines) that tells the vet if the previous protection is still good;
    You can find many vets (especially younger ones) that concur that pets are over-vaccinated;
    In my state, for example, the incidence of heartworm in dogs is less than one per county per year.
    As a result of my research and advise of many vets, I stopped all vaccinations of my dog, except the mandatory rabies needed for dog license.
    I also get the rabies shot at a very low cost rabies clinic held every year by the local vet.
    This year I paid $8 for a rabies shot instead of the approx $150 it would have cost to go to a vet and subjected my dog to exam and the variety of shots allegedly needed.
    I still have access to my vet should any dog health problems arise.
    Obviously, others my feel differently or emotionally about their pet's care. Mileage may vary; but you owe it to your pet to spend an hour researching the necessity of many vaccines. You may be surprised.
    tbc.

13. redrick

redrick

I have 11 dogs , I buy my dogs shots at Southern States $6.49 , except for the rabies , by state law has to be given by a vet. .

For my puppies , I give a 5 way shot at 6 weeks and 9 weeks . Then a 7 way at 12 weeks . At 6 months I take them to the Vet. for rabies and again at 1 year . I also give them another 7 way at 1 year . Then a rabies and 7 way every 3 years . I also worm the puppies several times and worm the others once a year . I give them ivomec once a month for heartworms starting at 16 weeks .