Are U ready for an EMP?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Tzi-Oxphon, Mar 29, 2019.

1. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Yep.
    Just add on the usual medical stuff such as antibiotics, corticosteroids, drugs for hypertensive crisis etc.... And then there is booze but I figure you include that in 'food'

TheDreadnought likes this.
  2. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Sheepdog

I would rather have vodka by the gallon than gold by the ounce.

bdcochran likes this.

3. gunowner1

gunowner1

EMP prep? Yeah ok, Ill get right on that after this CAT4 hurticane passes over my house! No, you know what, I'll just nake the EMP prep my main priority! Screw prepping for a real life event like this hurticane.

Aceman and bdcochran like this.
  4. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

If you prep for stuff that is likely to happen you will be prepared for when the unthinkable happens. Food, water, shelter, power, light, protection, are universal preps. The key is to simply be prepared.

5. GT4494

GT4494

Anyone that lives on the south east coast should always be prepared for Hurricanes. That's part of the "Beach Life".
    He who waits to the last moment should move back to where they came from.

6. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Agree.

The government is concerned enough about the probability of a long-term, nationwide 'Grid-Down' event that they published an indepth and very public report with recommendations about the things localities, businesses, and individuals (families) need to be doing about it to be able to survive in the aftermath, which they strongly hint could run beyond six months.

A while back I posted a thread here linking the report. (See below).

Pick your favorite probable cause - EMP attack? Radioactive spiders from Mars? - but the various players in the federal Emergency Management bureaucracy clearly believe it would be/will be catastrophic.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/d...urviving-a-catastrophic-power-outage.1741922/

:laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove: :laughabove:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  7. banger

banger

I've converted my entire portfolio into stripper glitter and baby powder.

The commodity of the new century.

8. mac66

That's an excellent thread AGTMAN

9. edellson

edellson

I agree with your synopsis of no one knowing the real value of gold and silver at the onset. That's why small denominations of junk silver at least in the beginning of a collapse will be the way to prepare imo.

10. SDDL-UP

SDDL-UP

No here as well!

You can't prepare for for EVERYTHING - it could be cataclysmic or it could be Y2K. Chances are really good it won't ever happen. What can you do to help people in real need now?

11. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Few yrs back a high voltage power line was to go across some property of mine. I couldn't make the meeting, fancy dinner (for those affected). But could get there late. So wife and I show up in hopes of getting info packets. Seems the staff was going to eat. We were invited. (Dang good chow)
    S0 two of us and a dozen powerline folks, whiteboards on tables.... Beer flowing. I left there scared about the grid. In short when this new line went into service it was at over 80% capacity. The existing lines are overloaded. As its normal for a environmental delay... It will likely be at recommended capacity.
    You take a 16 gauge cord. Run 8 CFL, LED, heck incandescent 60 watt bulbs it will work for decades. Add 4 freezers on. The cord will melt one hot day.

12. nursetim

nursetim

13. Aceman

Aceman

No, I am not. And you don't need to be either.

tracicali and bdcochran like this.
  14. bdcochran

bdcochran

No I am not. And just what do you expect me to do to prepare when the flow of commerce, food, water, public and private services are disrupted?

It isn't like I live in "tornado alley", the path of 5 annual hurricanes or foolishly planted pine trees in the backyard in an area where insurance companies will not issue fire coverage policies.

There are two kinds of problems in this world, the kind you can do something about and the kind that you can't do anything about. You focus on the first.

15. Aceman

Aceman

I don't know that I agree with that. I understand what you are saying. But the reality is that people who focus on that tend to be more of the "down the rabbit hole" type than those who reasonably assess appropriate threats in a meaningful way.

Case in point: I'm prepared for the EMP - but not the radiation blast that goes with it. Or, I'm prepared for the big EMP but not losing my job.

16. kwo

kwo

EMP ? Sitting on the toilet at the gym today and the power goes out. Pitch black toilet paper in hand ,Now what ? Can't see anything . No I am not ready for an emp. Electrician had set the had set the motion detector to 5 seconds ,waving arms with toilet paper is not good . Faraday cage for the bath room.

17. Aceman

Aceman

The only people that are capable of an EMP blast of the type you describe are China and Russia, and they have no intent of destroying America because The Economy. And they are the only people capable of that.

18. mac66

Okay, I guess I should have said if you prepare for what's likely to happen you are prepared for 90% of when the unthinkable happens. You can always do more but those things I mentioned are universal preps that will apply for anything that is likely to happen. In a realistic threat assessment an EMP, Nuclear Blast, invasion by Martians, while catastrophic are unlikely to happen.

In regard to loss of a job, those preps I mentioned will likely get you through some period of loss of income.

Of course there are some things that are specific to individual emergencies.

Another case in point. Tornados....You can have all the stuff I mentioned but it will do you no good if it is all blown away. If you live in tornado alley you might want to have the appropriate preps (i.e, a storm shelter with stuff stored there).

19. Aceman

Aceman

20. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I've an old Jeep that runs on points and condenser. I'm good.

flyover likes this.