Are there too many calibers for our own good?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by speedsix, Jan 13, 2010.

1. speedsix

speedsix

I didn't know how to title this but my question is basically, are all these hundreds of different calibers working against the consumer in some ways?

We all know the more popular calibers are easier to find, cheaper to buy, and have more choices of loads. Take 9mm for example. You can get loads that are little more than .380acp level all the way to near .357mag level. Compare that to some of these weird rifle cartridges like the .222 Remington that still somehow exists. If I had a .222 Rem, I wouldn't have a clue where to find ammo. I know they still make ammo and they still chamber rifles in this caliber for some reason.

The thing is, if I had an obsoleat caliber gun, I would want someone to make ammo for it but why are they still coming out with new calibers? Do we really need a whole new cartridge that bridges the "gap" between .308 and 30.06?:upeyes:

2. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Apparently someone thinks so, otherwise the ammo manufacturers wouldn't be producing the round.

3. bac1023

bac1023

:agree:

4. HiVelSword

HiVelSword Sweetn the ride

Yeah, there are an obnoxious amount of rifle calibers. But it's really up to the consumer to make the decision as to what they buy.

Understandably, not everyone will do the research. Some might get lovestruck with a certain rifle only to find that the ammo is expensive and not always stocked everywhere.

But options are good. It's good to know that with rifles you can run with the pack and go with the most popular type of calibers or you can be as much of an individual as you like and go with something effective but rare or not a huge seller.

The majority of folks know/believe that .45-70 > .444 Marlin. And .45-70 vastly outsells the .444 but I don't care. I like the .444 more.

The .338-06 can take anything in North America. So can a 100 other rifle rounds. The ammo is very expensive but I don't care. I want one.

Options are good. Always. But if one feels they are stuck with an oddball rifle then they probably didn't do enough research.

There might not be many but I'm willing to bet that there is a cult of .222 fans. And I'm also willing to bet they load their own ammo.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  5. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I try to keep my arsenal streamlined into just the main "service" and "common" calibers.

.380 Auto
    .38 Special
    .357 Magnum
    9mm
    .40 S&W
    .45 ACP
    5.56x45mm NATO / .223 Rem.
    12 Gauge

Still thinking of whether or not to add .357 SIG to the arsenal......

6. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

.357 SIG interests me. I've not made any effort to get outside my .357 Magnum/.45 ACP happy place, but my wife's got a .40S&W Glock that'd take a .357 SIG barrel in a heartbeat if I wanted to play with that caliber.

I don't really care for Glocks, but the ability to play in a new caliber on the cheap appeals to me.

7. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

The .357 Sig is a niche caliber, but one of the better ones. For the cost of a barrel, I got into it. The .40 glock mags are the same, so a barrel is all it takes. .357 Sig was the only round on the shelves around here for months, so it was a no brainer for me. Id like to have a carbine, say a Sub 2000 keltec in .357.

but, to the OP's question, I do feel there are a lot of cartridges that over lap, especially in the newer "short magnum" rifle calibers. But I guess someone is buying them. But those that have them better learn to reload, Im not so sure some of them will stand the test of time.

8. speedsix

speedsix

Another problem is sometimes newer and better calibers come around but are not as successful as they could/should be because of the current entrenched calibers.

For example, if .357sig was as available in as many loads for the same price as 9mm or .40S&W, I think it would put both out of business in no time. .357sig is probably a better pistol round than either and would make a really nice carbine round as well.

I would switch all my 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp to .357sig is the ammo didn't cost $40 per box! Imagine a Kel-Tec PF-9 in .357sig or a 1911 in a really hot loaded .357sig. Could be a real winner. I will never know because I am done experimenting with oddball calibers.

I have owned way too many hard to find and expensive calibers. One thing that kinds of irks me is that some really nice guns like the Swiss K-31s are in hard to find calibers. Also, the .32 S&W Long has always been a sentimental favorite of mine. I have never owned a .32 that was not a joy to shoot and a tack driver. It is kind of a shame that it is not being used more but what is the point of it? I used it for target but my .38spl K-38 will shoot just as well with the right loads.

9. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

It's known as .38 Super, its brass costs about the same as 9mm +P brass, considerably cheaper than .357 SIG brass w/o bullet setback issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_72

I'm getting in the upper 1400s/125gr and upper 1200s/147gr. Welcome to the .38 Super crowd.

Bob :cowboy:

10. HiVelSword

HiVelSword Sweetn the ride

I absolutely love the .38 Super but it doesn't fit in pistols designed around the shorter 9mm and .40 S&W.

11. remat

remat

Too many for me to afford

12. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

My .38 Super +P

[​IMG]

13. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

This is true, here's a Lonewolf .38 Super barrel for the G 20/SF, the lips of the 10mm mags may need to be opened up a bit. The .38 Super and 10mm share the same COAL, the Super will run with the 10mm, plus it can be loaded with .357mag bullets in addition to 9mm and .356cal bullets.

[​IMG]

14. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Very nice looking Smith. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

After a 300 round break in session w/o hiccups. I did have to replace the extractor about a year later tho.

[​IMG]

15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Hopefully I'll have better luck. :)

16. vafish

vafish

Are there too many calibers?

No, choice is a good thing, competition is a good thing.

In reality every big game hunter in the US could hunt every animal on the planet with a 12 ga shotgun, and rifles in .22LR, .223, .30-06 (or .308), and .375 H+H.

Handgun calibers could be trimmed down to a small list as well. With a .22LR, .40 S+W, and .454 Casul covering every thing a handgun needs to do; Target shooting, light recoil practice, self defense, and hunting.

But what a boring world that would be.

17. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I agree.

My ammo options:

.22 LR
    7.62 x 25mm
    .380 ACP
    9 x 19 mm
    .44 Mag
    20 gauge
    12 gauge
    5.56 x 45 mm
    30-30

Only oddball is the 7.62 x 25, but this happens to be the cheapest surplus center fire pistol ammo available ($0.10 per round). I have a couple of thousands rounds of this, so even if imports are stopped I am still OK.

18. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Are there too many? Who knows.

Are there too many for ME? Yes.

I've gotten away from the .40 S&W platform all together now. I don't have any immediate plans of getting back into it. Nor do I have plans for the .45ACP, .357Sig, .25ACP, .380ACP, .38Super...

I like to keep things simple:

.22LR
    .38Special
    .357Mag (but usually only run .38Special through it)
    9mm (have several)
    20ga (only 1 old shotgun, but it still works)
    12ga

Well, and I guess after this evening I'll be back into the 7.62x25 chambering. But only because I'm getting a decent deal on the pistol and I already have several hundred rounds of it.

-J-

19. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

The "problem" is that a properly built and cared for firearm will almost always outlive the technological peak of its cartridge. You can either throw the gun away, or keep it a pay a bit more for the limited runs of ammo that companies continue to make for your obsolete cartridge.

Wildcats are a different issue. A lot of guys like to play around and experiment with ballistics. To me, 50 fps more or less out of any rifle is acedemic. I tend to think that technique and practice is far more important. To some competition shooters (and shooters with mild autism), it's worth extra cost and hassle to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of their firearms. Whatever floats their boat. It's a free country (more or less).

20. ranger56528

ranger56528

I keep it basic.
    22lr pistols and rifles..
    32 short....old rifle.
    30-30
    30-06
    50 cal BP
    9m hanguns and carbine.
    44 mag

I can find ammo for all these(except 32 short rifle)when out and about.