Are there any PUBLIC Archery hunting opportunities in West Texas?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Gunlawyer, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Gunlawyer

Gunlawyer

Help and advice, Please!

I really want to chase some Mule deer with my bow in West Texas and because of a limited hunting budget, I would prefer to find some public land to do it on. I have researched the applicable national parks, forests and grass lands. The pickings are darn slim! Any advice? Know anyone who would let a responsible archer hunt without cleaning out that archer's checkbook?

Thanks for your help folks!!!

2. JohnDog

JohnDog Millennium Member

Chris,

Well, if you want to come out to Colorado we've got a lot of public land to hunt mulies on. But as for a limited budget, it'll cost you $290 for a non-resident permit. On the other hand the season goes from Aug 30th thru Sept 28th.

Hope this helps - JohnDog

3. Gunlawyer

Gunlawyer

Thanks JohnDog:

I appreciate the advice and hunting another state really is the only option at this point. So I am going to drive about 1000 Miles North from Austin into Nebraska and hunt a nice area I spotted while on the way to bowhunt North Dakota last fall.

I have researched and left no stone unturned and I have to tell you, Texas is sad. West Texas is an area as big as most of New England, or a european country, yet because there is no public land in any of it, I cannot take my bow and chase mule deer on any of it without getting thrown in jail for tresspassing. Well, I have to say that is not true, you can do it if you break out your check book and cough up thousands. This state is great in many ways and blows serious chunks in others. This is one of those others. Thanks for letting me vent! God Damn Texas!