Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked WalMart yesterday and they were out of their better ones. I'm looking for a 6 1/2 length that breaks down into sections. Medium action for 10 lbs to 15 lbs line.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I do great when I fish with my $25 zebco Walmart special, but I can't catch a thing with my $100 Shakespeare setup. I'd say anything under $40 will work fine. :)

·
Back to work...
2,898 Posts
What species are you targeting? What you fish for, and what type of rigs you run dictate what your rod/reel/action/weight would work best.

6.5 ft rod, medium action, 10-15lbs rods (to me) fall in the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none category: they are not light and sensitive enough for panfish/trout, and not strong enough for bass.

My son decided to get into trout fishing this year, so he bought a $20 Shakespeare 7ft micro spinning rod, paired with a $25 Kastking Centron, and he's been slaying the trout, filling his limit each and every day we went out: I think he's caught about 25 big trout so far, and we've been eating lots of fish. He is now transitioning to crappie and gills, and just making slight adjustments to his tackle, but using the same rod/reel/line setup.

Either way, hope you have fun on the water! Tight lines!

·
Just some guy
627 Posts
Back when Gander was open I bought a house brand spinning rod and bait casting rod. Not sure who made them but they were pretty cheap, not bad action for the money.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Quick! Duck!
3,523 Posts
try pawn shops

·
Registered
27,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What species are you targeting? What you fish for, and what type of rigs you run dictate what your rod/reel/action/weight would work best.

6.5 ft rod, medium action, 10-15lbs rods (to me) fall in the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none category: they are not light and sensitive enough for panfish/trout, and not strong enough for bass.

My son decided to get into trout fishing this year, so he bought a $20 Shakespeare 7ft micro spinning rod, paired with a $25 Kastking Centron, and he's been slaying the trout, filling his limit each and every day we went out: I think he's caught about 25 big trout so far, and we've been eating lots of fish. He is now transitioning to crappie and gills, and just making slight adjustments to his tackle, but using the same rod/reel/line setup.

Either way, hope you have fun on the water! Tight lines!
Targeting bass and catfish.

·
Back to work...
2,898 Posts
Targeting bass and catfish.
In the Summer months, I fish lots of bass in heavy cover (lily pads, hydrilla, milfoil, submerged wood) and have to run 50lb braid to be able to pull bass out of those. If that's not a concern, and you're not reeling in those massive catfish they have in the South, you should be okay(ish?).

What the heck, just get what you can and get on the water: you'll figure out what works best for you quickly. :supergrin: Good luck!

PS: As your inflatable setup seems on the light side, I would strongly recommend you get a 10lb mushroom anchor. I fish out of a canoe, and you will get pushed around by wind/breezes. Save yourself the annoyance of having to paddle yourself back to the spot you wanted to stay on every couple of minutes by using having an anchor to hold you there. I've been using my anchor for years now, and only on the calmest of days - very rare - I don't use it.
IMG_20200502_120225.jpg

Reactions: Detectorist

·
Registered
27,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the Summer months, I fish lots of bass in heavy cover (lily pads, hydrilla, milfoil, submerged wood) and have to run 50lb braid to be able to pull bass out of those. If that's not a concern, and you're not reeling in those massive catfish they have in the South, you should be okay(ish?).

What the heck, just get what you can and get on the water: you'll figure out what works best for you quickly. :supergrin: Good luck!

PS: As your inflatable setup seems on the light side, I would strongly recommend you get a 10lb mushroom anchor. I fish out of a canoe, and you will get pushed around by wind/breezes. Save yourself the annoyance of having to paddle yourself back to the spot you wanted to stay on every couple of minutes by using having an anchor to hold you there. I've been using my anchor for years now, and only on the calmest of days - very rare - I don't use it.
View attachment 757366
Thanks. I'm actually buying one today.

Reactions: light-switch

·
Anti-Federalist
21,619 Posts
For that price range the Ugly Stik probably can't be beat. It used to be my go to beater rod for fishing around structure because they are damn near indestructible. I reserved my G. Loomis and Crowder rods for wade fishing or off the boat in the open.

One thing all of them had in common was they wore a Shimano Stradic of one size or the other.

Reactions: Detectorist

·
Standing my ground...
1,380 Posts
Craigslist. Tons of them in the sporting goods ads.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Berkley Lightning Rod. The newer ones with the plastic reel seats suck but last years models and back can't be beat. Several bass from 7lb lbs. to 10lbs. so far this year and I've never broken one.

·
Diva extraordinaire
16,774 Posts
Daddy likes to build his own rods. He told me you can build a better rod than you can buy for less money. He built me a pink one with my name on it that I treasure.

I saw a commercial for this place on World Fishing Network. They sell kits with everything you need.

https://www.mudhole.com/

Reactions: Bilrus61

·
Anti-Federalist
21,619 Posts
Daddy likes to build his own rods. He told me you can build a better rod than you can buy for less money. He built me a pink one with my name on it that I treasure.

I saw a commercial for this place on World Fishing Network. They sell kits with everything you need.

https://www.mudhole.com/

The cheapest kit there starts at $154. Neat, but not anywhere near the $40 budget.

·
Registered
491 Posts
If you’re going for bass and catfish in and around Missouri, I’d use a quality 6-8lb clear 100% fluorocarbon line. Unless you’re fishing for giant blue catfish or super deep water. No need to go heavier. It’s the perfect line weight for fishing everything from channel, flathead, largemouth, and smallmouth in the lakes and rivers. If you want to fish for trout in the winter such as places like the upper meramec river, go with 6lb.
The lighter lines allow you to cast further and your lures/ crankbaits to have a better action to them.
I like one piece 6-7ft medium fast action spinning rods for the type of fishing I’m assuming your taking about.

·
Anti-Federalist
21,619 Posts
Speaking of line. I'd only use flourocarbon for a leader. Power Pro is really the only way to go for line strength in conjunction with diameter and weight. It's really no contest.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts