Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > Are there any Buddhists in the house?

Are there any Buddhists in the house?

1. I'm going to a Buddhist service for a class assignment next weekend.

I need to know how to dress. Under normal circumstances, I'd follow the thought process that overdressed is always the side to err on, but I really, really don't want to stick out in the crowd (more than someone with a ginormous goatee and big black discs in his ears already does).

I don't wish to post the site for the place I'm going for a whole bunch of reasons, but if it will help shape your advice, I can PM it to you.

2. Wear clean socks.

3. :thumbsup:

Good lookin' out, man.

4. I went one time. My friend spent, I kid you not, 15 minutes showing me how to sit properly.

5. It can actually be difficult to sit properly for even a short time if you are not very limber. At my mother-in-laws funeral in Lamphun, Thailand my foot went to sleep from sitting that certain way they do.

6. via google:

http://www.calvarychapelemmett.org/typical-buddhist-service/
    http://www.chungtian.org.au/ritual#r5
    :dunno:

7. I'm not an expert but I don't think the Buddha wore a suit and tie. Unless you are a nudist (assuming the services are not at a nudist camp) or wear only speedos, normal attire is probably fine.

8. i remember is zoobie and dogsol

from the days when i was active

they may still be around

....dogsol has already reincarnated

9. What about nudist Budhists?

10. don't get dressed up, but try not to wear jeans with holes in them, offensive tee shirt slogans or images, etc

and clean socks

11. My default dress is a pair of cargoes and a black t-shirt or short-sleeve button-up shirt.

So I guess that'll be alright.

12. A couple of "Don'ts"
    Don't sit with your feet pointing toward the Buddha. It is considered disrespectful.
    Don't wear shorts.

(At least that is the general rule in Thailand)

13. Tiger, you around here to help answer some questions??? Tiger????? Tiger, you can come out of the closet here on GT....Tiger?????

14. Thanks man. I'm writing a paper, and really just want to sit in the back, stay out of the way and observe.

15. wait..did you go to synagogue last week? :supergrin:

16. Well, I've asked plenty of chicks to rub my Buddha's belly for good luck.

17. I think in my heart Im a Bhuddist but Ive learned over the years and miles to not subscribe to anything organised, especially any religion. Once indoctrinated, their question is always " how much money you got?"

Id really like to go back to my roots and be a Druid but cant find any virgins here in Flor Duh.

18. Remember the title of an old album: "Nothing matters, and what if it did?"

This is Buddhism.

Om mani padme hum.

I have the tattoo to prove it.

Buddhism is as near to actual "religion" as I've ever approached.

"Om mani padme hum" is as true as anything Jesus ever taught.

It's like Libertarian spirituality, man. It's like "Nothing else matters".

Hell, it's the rock-n-roll of religions! No one hates anyone. No one declares anyone else a "sinner", and there are neither jihads, nor crusades.

It's just cool.

And if you have to kill someone, so be it. Not a problem.

19. Dammit, 'scream! I think you just discovered the essence of the entire religious philosophy of Buddhism!

20. Sorry, but I know nothing about Buddhists, but I trust your judgement about
    what to wear. Clean and casual. Sit in the back row and blend in and just
    do your thing J. I think that you will be just fine. :wavey:

21. Its always easier if you wear shoes that are easy to take off and put back on with those clean socks.

Back when I had a real job, I would sit at the local Thai Buddhist temple sometimes on my lunch break just to unwind and clear my head. I wore my uniform in, but my boots were a pain to remove and put back on. I started wearing my slip on sneakers to lunch and putting my boots back on when I got back to work.

For what its worth they always went out of their way to make me feel at home there.
    I stopped by on Sundays to eat lunch with the crowd sometimes. Best Thai food in town!

22. If the Buddhists are nudists, then one should go there bare.

23. You never do hear about fanatical Buddhists: "The fanatical Buddhist had so much compassion for others."

For the OP:
    Group here that meets weekly, people show up in work clothes, street clothes, what have you. Something tells me you're going to enjoy it.

"The divine in me, salutes the divine in you."
    "When you are in your place of light, and I am in mine -- we are one."
    :cool:

24. Didn't have to. :supergrin:

I have to pick one service that I've never been to before to write a paper about for this class. Buddhism seems like it would aggravate me the least (although I seriously considered going to the mosque here). Later I have to write a term paper about something else entirely, and I've not even considered what I should do about that yet.

I love everything about the idea of it, but I'm entirely too intense a person, I think, to adhere to something that laid back. I admire the peacefulness with which Buddhists (and Daoists, which I actually know a little more about) approach…everything, but I don't know that I could do it.

:rock:

:supergrin:

The point keninnavarre made about having shoes that are easy to take off is a good one to remember, though.

25. I kept trying to get him to call the photographer he knows who did the series on snake handlers and go there!

26. that isn't even the best bit, I'm Lao and Theravada Buddhism was modified when it came to Laos. Every religious festival became a excuse to throw a huge party, Buddha's birthday was a three day concert, shopping mart, and restaurants everywhere i think it was three hours of prayer and three days of partying (outside the temple of course)

if you have any questions about Buddhism i can answer some questions for you, one of the traditions that did survive to this day is every male when he turns 21 to honor his parents becomes a monk for a pre-determined amount of time (more than a week, less then a month)

one of the common questions that i get asked in the Air Force besides "so what Asian are you?" is "your Buddhist and in the military, how does that work?"

27. I was a Buddhist in a past life...

28. The fanatical Buddhists burned themselves alive during the Vietnam conflict.
    Pretty radical stuff.

Does it count that I look like Budda when I sit cross legged with my shirt off?

29. To protest the oppression of his religion and the murder of 5 Buddhists.

30. Just a couple of comments: very modest dress for women; avoid "showing legs" to monks. Chinese buddhists are vegetarian, Thai, Burmese eat meat (pork), don't touch monk, also if making a cash offering- put in offering box or hand money to assistant (non monk).

31. So we are going to be sitting in the floor with our legs crossed? Pants are OK for a woman? Bare feet? Tattoos? I have a tattoo on my foot...which is least offensive to them-socks or the tattoo?

32. Update:

MK and I went this morning to the "service" (which was really just guided meditation with and chanting). I decided on cargos and a t-shirt in the interest of comfort and it ended up being a good choice, as just about everybody else there was in some variation of that.

It was nice. I got plenty for my paper that's due tomorrow.

Everybody was very kind, but not overbearingly so like they are in the Southern Baptist tradition I grew up in. They took great pains to explain to the new people (there was one other there aside from MK and myself) that – with the prostrations that they opened the service with – they weren't worshipping the Buddha; rather they were paying homage and respect to him for the teachings that he handed down.

One thing that I thought was interesting is that my skin wasn't crawling the whole time like it does at the Christian services I've been to growing up and as an adult. I was much more at peace here.

I dunno if we're going back or not, but it was an interesting experience and I'm glad we went.

33. was it a introduction to Buddhism or did you arrive during a festival, I know in my temple we marked Pavarana and End of Vassa this week but i know not all Buddhist sect have this festival

here is the short wiki copied version: Pavarana is a Buddhist holy day celebrated on the full moon of the eleventh lunar month. It marks the end of the month of Vassa, sometimes called "Buddhist Lent." This day marks the end of the rainy season in some Asian countries like Thailand, where Theravada Buddhism is practiced. On this day, each monk (Pali: bhikkhu) must come before the community of monks (Sangha) and atone for an offense he may have committed during the Vassa.

34. I didn't get the impression that this was anything more than a normal, weekly meditation/prayer group. The guru talked some about a big festival this time of year that takes place in Atlanta, talks by Matthieu Ricard and stuff like that.

35. Next month they're hosting a speaker on the 12th and 13th, though; probably that's related to the Pavarana holy day stuff you posted about. I just remembered the guru mentioned that.

36. Buddhism, to me, is the only religion that makes sense (no bash intended to others). My fate is in my own hands, not some higher beings'.

37. THIS!! No one else has ever described that feeling, to me or in a conversation I was part of, as "skin crawling" and that description is EXACTLY what I have felt in same/similar scenarios. Even being 'witnessed to' or whatever all it's called, a abolutely makes My.Skin.Crawl.

Thanks 'Scream.......... I feel muchly validated.

38. Very interesting project and thread Eyescream. :thumbsup:

39. And now I do too. :rofl:

I wasn't happy about having to do the class at all, but that's for different reasons relating to how the college I'm going to handles credits that were earned during the reception of a previous degree. All's well that ends well, though. I'm glad you liked it.

40. "It's like barbeque."
    [​IMG]

41. :eat:

42. I discovered Buddhism through martial arts, so you could say that I'm more into the Zen aspects.

I have run across a lot of pretentious folks who call themselves Buddhists. Mostly advanced martial artists who seem to want to somehow enhance their credibility in their martial arts "resume'" (so to speak).

Personally, I found "my Zen" in martial arts.

I also like the basic philosophies of Hinduism, and made lots of friends in India, when I was there. I can see why George Harrison went that route. It's also a very peaceful and non-judgmental religion.

I've studied the major world religions a bit, and I've found that the Eastern philosophies tend to appeal to me more than those which arose from the Middle East (though the Jews seem pretty cool).

I do, however, have a soft spot for the LDS, who seem to be the friendliest and most practical Christian religion. I've yet to dislike any Mormon I've met.

The thing I like most about Buddhism is that one can follow the teachings of Siddhartha Gautama, and still not have to "worship" anyone or anything.

43. Apparently the Mahayana flavor has a lot of analogues to Hinduism.

44. Consider that Buddha was an Indian...:whistling:

45. Yeah. Funny old world, huh?

46. I just can't picture Siddhartha running around going "woo-woo-woo-woo-woo" with a tomahawk in hand.

;)

47. :faint:

48. Dots or feathers?

49. Sorry. I forgot about the dots.

50. Wear nothing but a saffron robe. Blend in.

[​IMG]