Are there any Buddhists in the house?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eyescream, Oct 17, 2010.

1. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Its always easier if you wear shoes that are easy to take off and put back on with those clean socks.

Back when I had a real job, I would sit at the local Thai Buddhist temple sometimes on my lunch break just to unwind and clear my head. I wore my uniform in, but my boots were a pain to remove and put back on. I started wearing my slip on sneakers to lunch and putting my boots back on when I got back to work.

For what its worth they always went out of their way to make me feel at home there.
    I stopped by on Sundays to eat lunch with the crowd sometimes. Best Thai food in town!

2. Ogreon

Ogreon unlisted

If the Buddhists are nudists, then one should go there bare.

3. Glock n Stein

Glock n Stein Millennium Member

You never do hear about fanatical Buddhists: "The fanatical Buddhist had so much compassion for others."

For the OP:
    Group here that meets weekly, people show up in work clothes, street clothes, what have you. Something tells me you're going to enjoy it.

"The divine in me, salutes the divine in you."
    "When you are in your place of light, and I am in mine -- we are one."
    :cool:

4. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Didn't have to. :supergrin:

I have to pick one service that I've never been to before to write a paper about for this class. Buddhism seems like it would aggravate me the least (although I seriously considered going to the mosque here). Later I have to write a term paper about something else entirely, and I've not even considered what I should do about that yet.

I love everything about the idea of it, but I'm entirely too intense a person, I think, to adhere to something that laid back. I admire the peacefulness with which Buddhists (and Daoists, which I actually know a little more about) approach…everything, but I don't know that I could do it.

:rock:

:supergrin:

The point keninnavarre made about having shoes that are easy to take off is a good one to remember, though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I kept trying to get him to call the photographer he knows who did the series on snake handlers and go there!

6. raven11

raven11

that isn't even the best bit, I'm Lao and Theravada Buddhism was modified when it came to Laos. Every religious festival became a excuse to throw a huge party, Buddha's birthday was a three day concert, shopping mart, and restaurants everywhere i think it was three hours of prayer and three days of partying (outside the temple of course)

if you have any questions about Buddhism i can answer some questions for you, one of the traditions that did survive to this day is every male when he turns 21 to honor his parents becomes a monk for a pre-determined amount of time (more than a week, less then a month)

one of the common questions that i get asked in the Air Force besides "so what Asian are you?" is "your Buddhist and in the military, how does that work?"

7. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

I was a Buddhist in a past life...

8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

The fanatical Buddhists burned themselves alive during the Vietnam conflict.
    Pretty radical stuff.

Does it count that I look like Budda when I sit cross legged with my shirt off?

9. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

To protest the oppression of his religion and the murder of 5 Buddhists.

10. Glockingted

Glockingted

Just a couple of comments: very modest dress for women; avoid "showing legs" to monks. Chinese buddhists are vegetarian, Thai, Burmese eat meat (pork), don't touch monk, also if making a cash offering- put in offering box or hand money to assistant (non monk).

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

So we are going to be sitting in the floor with our legs crossed? Pants are OK for a woman? Bare feet? Tattoos? I have a tattoo on my foot...which is least offensive to them-socks or the tattoo?

12. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Update:

MK and I went this morning to the "service" (which was really just guided meditation with and chanting). I decided on cargos and a t-shirt in the interest of comfort and it ended up being a good choice, as just about everybody else there was in some variation of that.

It was nice. I got plenty for my paper that's due tomorrow.

Everybody was very kind, but not overbearingly so like they are in the Southern Baptist tradition I grew up in. They took great pains to explain to the new people (there was one other there aside from MK and myself) that &#8211; with the prostrations that they opened the service with &#8211; they weren't worshipping the Buddha; rather they were paying homage and respect to him for the teachings that he handed down.

One thing that I thought was interesting is that my skin wasn't crawling the whole time like it does at the Christian services I've been to growing up and as an adult. I was much more at peace here.

I dunno if we're going back or not, but it was an interesting experience and I'm glad we went.

13. raven11

raven11

was it a introduction to Buddhism or did you arrive during a festival, I know in my temple we marked Pavarana and End of Vassa this week but i know not all Buddhist sect have this festival

here is the short wiki copied version: Pavarana is a Buddhist holy day celebrated on the full moon of the eleventh lunar month. It marks the end of the month of Vassa, sometimes called "Buddhist Lent." This day marks the end of the rainy season in some Asian countries like Thailand, where Theravada Buddhism is practiced. On this day, each monk (Pali: bhikkhu) must come before the community of monks (Sangha) and atone for an offense he may have committed during the Vassa.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  14. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I didn't get the impression that this was anything more than a normal, weekly meditation/prayer group. The guru talked some about a big festival this time of year that takes place in Atlanta, talks by Matthieu Ricard and stuff like that.

15. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Next month they're hosting a speaker on the 12th and 13th, though; probably that's related to the Pavarana holy day stuff you posted about. I just remembered the guru mentioned that.

16. atakawow

atakawow

Buddhism, to me, is the only religion that makes sense (no bash intended to others). My fate is in my own hands, not some higher beings'.

17. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

THIS!! No one else has ever described that feeling, to me or in a conversation I was part of, as "skin crawling" and that description is EXACTLY what I have felt in same/similar scenarios. Even being 'witnessed to' or whatever all it's called, a abolutely makes My.Skin.Crawl.

Thanks 'Scream.......... I feel muchly validated.

18. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Very interesting project and thread Eyescream. :thumbsup:

19. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

And now I do too. :rofl:

I wasn't happy about having to do the class at all, but that's for different reasons relating to how the college I'm going to handles credits that were earned during the reception of a previous degree. All's well that ends well, though. I'm glad you liked it.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

"It's like barbeque."
    [​IMG]