Are the Big Boy's threatened by Taurus?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Terry G, Jul 21, 2019.

1. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

You like your SCYY then great, not for me. It’s not just barrels. It’s broken trigger springs, extractors, and barrel lugs among other things.

2. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

For a moment I thought you were talking about Sig....:couch:

Seems if the SCCY owner has a 1000 rounds on the pistol with no malfunctions that he's properly vetted the pistol he carries.

3. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Ok, if it’s good for him it’s good for him.

4. forty5

forty5

I have a few Taurus revolvers and pistols.I don't have one in a .22 caliber.

5. MrS&W

MrS&W

Welcome to the world of Taurus owners... They accually own the gun, report that they work, but you have people who don't and refuse to own them thinking they're more knowledgeable than those who accually do.

6. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

KelTecs too. They don't currently make a gun that interests me (well maybe the P32, just a little), but a lot of people seem to be happy with them.

Deputydave likes this.
  7. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

As a former, one-time Taurus owner I respectfully disagree. It was a POS, pure and simple.

Also, the notion that Glock Sig & CZ are threatened by Taurus is quite enjoyable, but also mildly delusional. Please!

tacticaljoey likes this.
  8. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

When my department starts issuing Taurus or SCCY I will check them out again.

9. vista461

vista461

Funny, I didn’t even say I had negative experiences with them, which I didn’t other than one mag that wasn’t 100%.

If a PD would cheap out so much that they would go with a Taurus as a duty gun, instead of paying less than $400 for a Glock or M&P, what else are they going to cut corners on?

Unless you actually think that Taurus is on the same quality level as a Glock, Smith & Wesson, etc., then we’d have to agree to disagree.

I don’t even get issued a duty gun, I buy my own and there is no way I’d choose a Taurus over another higher quality brand.

10. MrS&W

MrS&W

What's delusional is thinking because you owned ONE Taurus almost a decade ago when that particular model was first produced that you're qualified to say and tell those who own what Taurus is currently putting out that their gun isn't worthly. That someone your one example about a decade ago is still relevant today and supersedes the overwhelming reports that contradict your outdate experience.

Deputydave likes this.
  11. MrS&W

MrS&W

Let's be honest, Glocks probably cost just as much to manufacture as Tauruses do. Departments most likely get them for "cheap out" prices... And quality, fit and finish aka appearance wise, no I do not believe Taurus is on the same level... Even still, I believe that what Taurus is currently putting out will fire a round when needed no different than other firearms currently being offered.

If I take a gun to the range, I can shoot it accurately, and it proves to be reliable, nothing else should generally matters or should matter. Not cost, looks, branding, resell price, etc... It certainly will not matter if you should ever have to use it..

Nucflash and Deputydave like this.
  12. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I think the Curve had them in a huge panic for a while... (just kidding!).
    [​IMG]

I think it would be naive to think that ANY gun company with measurable sales (KelTec, SCCY, Taurus, Jennings, etc.) don't have an impact, and all of them garner SOME competitive awareness. But they take the bottom out of the market, and really don't play in the higher range firearms market as much, so they are not a significant worry.

I think the level of concern and threat is best demonstrated with S&W's Shield pricing. S&W keeps the 2.0 at a normal price, and dumps the "old" 1.0 into the super low cost segment to fend off competition there. They effectively protect the new models from price erosion, and simultaneously compete on the low end with discontinued discounts on old guns (notice how many 1.0's still linger on, well after the 2.0 launch?). I think that just about sums up how S&W views that segment of the market, and the companies that live and compete in that market. Fight them with yesterday's leftovers or ignore it.

When we see Glock, S&W, SIG, etc. launching NEW guns at price points well below $300 dollars, then we will know the race for the bottom is officially on!

Until then, Taurus makes options that appeal to some due to low cost and perceived value at the price point, but they absolutely play at the lower end of the spectrum. So, no, I don't think the Big Boys are threatened in the least. But I also am quite positive they will keep glancing around to ensure that doesn't change.

checkyoursix likes this.
  13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I was a Taurus owner. I reported that mine did NOT work. Yeah yeah, sample of one. One was enough for me in this case.

Maybe most of them do work fine and have basically the same problem rate as other guns. But the question of this thread is do they threaten the big boys. The answer is still no.

14. MrS&W

MrS&W

I know a few people who are able to purchase more expensive firearms, but based on reviews and the price of lower cost pistols like the G2C, Shield 1.0, Ruger EC9/LC9, Walther PPS M2, etc, rather save money vs paying $400+ for a Glock THAT'S IN THE SAME CATEGORY. Some of you are of the mindset thst Glock and friends aren't competing with other models just because Glocks are in a different price range. I disagree. I believe that, for example, Glock single stack and double stack 380s, 9mms, 45acps are directly competing against other in the same category respectively. Sure, there are some poor people who can not afford an extra $100-$200, but in the day and age where most are toting $500-$1000 cellphones, I'd say that's more of the exception vs the rule.

15. MrS&W

MrS&W

Yea the problem I have with most Taurus bashers or those who are simply reporting their experience is that they conveniently leave out that their experience was 10-30+ years ago.... That their bashing or negative experience is outdated and is not with Taurus's current offerings. Not talking about you specifically, but it makes no sense to bash a completely new and/or old model that has been updated several times over based on a single experience you had several years prior... As if it's improbable that a company would have addressed issues and released new generation since then...

16. Deputydave

Since Taurus goes back 70+ years with more than a dozen owners, the question is 'which' Taurus company did you buy from? They aren't all the same.

Well, a lot of folks bought a PT111G2 and the current G2's that didn't buy Glock/HK/S&W/Ruger etc so that is in fact money not going to those companies. While I'm not expecting them to go under any time soon, Taurus did and is capturing a % of market share that isn't going to them (as I explained in my first post).

Whatever a person thinks about Taurus (right or wrong), they have grown in the market. That's simply a fact.

17. Deputydave

What does your department issue right now?

18. Deputydave

I'd say that is probably accurate. A Glock costs, IIRC, about $80 give-or-take a few bucks. I can't imagine a Taurus would cost substantially more or less.

That is very accurate. Glock is a solid firearm. We can all pretty much agree on that. However, I'm sorry to burst bubbles on GT, but the reason they fill so many L.E. holsters is marketing and deals. When we changed from the Beretta 9mm to the Glock 21 it was a deal that the Department simply couldn't pass up. And that's smart and good business for the citizens of our county. However, it doesn't mean that Glock was superior to the Beretta or a comparable HK or Sig or Smith or whatever. Simply that Glock provided their pistols at a deal the others didn't match. If HK had swooped in with a better deal we'd be carrying HK right now.

Reportedly several South American LE agencies have carried or currently carry a Taurus product. Probably because they got a deal they couldn't pass up financially.

Agreed. A badguy isn't going to know the difference between a round fired from a $200 Taurus or a $1000 HK.

Does Taurus have the 'status' of the HK? No, but then no one was ever dropped by 'status'. And last I checked, HK is going bust and Taurus is expanding.

And too much is place on what LE or military is buying. Different roles which makes it apples and oranges. The Taurus G2 is aimed at civilian CCW needs. And by all reports, for quite a few years now, it's fulfilling that need just as good as anyone else. I mean a CCW pistol that actual owners like and is now into the 10K+ round count that eats everything feed to it...who cares who makes it. Seriously.

Nucflash likes this.
  19. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

G45

20. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

It’s all just personal opinions on a forum. Nothing more.

Nucflash and Terry G like this.