Are the Big Boy's threatened by Taurus?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Terry G, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Terry G

Terry G

The opinion of big box sporting goods employees is always interesting and usually that's all it is, an opinion. In some cases they know from what they speak. I believe the G2's are out selling the other makes because their cheap and they work. If I were a serious shooter, which I am, I wouldn't consider a G2. Put it side by side a CZ, Sig, Berretta, or whatever and really, come on. If that's absolutely all I could afford and I needed protection I'd buy a G2 and put a couple boxes of Wal-Mart 9MM through it and figure I could protect me and my Family. I think that's where most of these guns are going. I also think the TX22 is going to be a huge success and will be copied.

2. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I'm happy with my Taurus's, except one revolver that spits bullet slivers on the side.
    My 817 is a fantastic value at @ $200 OTD. So is my G2C for <$200.

3. treg

treg

I've had a few over the years, all were good guns.

Still have sellers regret over a couple of them. (PT101 and M441)

4. Bluescot

Bluescot

I have shot a few Taurus pistols over the years from buddies and they seemed to be OK as they all went bang when the trigger was pulled.

I have asked, I think it is now 5-6, gun stores what brand of firearm do they get back from customers the most for returns to the OEM and they have answered the same ....so far....TAURUS.

Maybe their QC and CS is improving, but that appears to be not as consistent as expected, but I am not that interested in waiting for turn around times from a shooter sent back to the manufacturer hopefully only once.

I am not a casual shooter and need products that will handle high count ammo through them without hiccups and meet my standards for CC.

So I will pass on the Taurus line.

5. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Great thread. I too have given Taurus a wide birth due to long standing bad raps over service problems and quality control issues.
    I have however watched many videos and torture tests and read the opinions of many who carry and fire a LOT of ammo through the G2C. And as I have wanted a "car gun" and a 9mm pistol for some time, I purchased one. $219. with a $25. factory rebate.

Lots of nice frills, and for me, a well made little pistol for the money all day long.

One gun shop here told me that the G2C "was not a Glock", but they had sold hundreds reciently alone and reportedly little or no problems.

2nd gun shop here i spoke with, does not carry Taurus period. Quality control/repair problems in the past was their concen, so there is some 'meat' for the Taurus haters here. I 'feel you'(and them), as I was once in business myself. Your (and their), money in the fire as it were, so your and their choice how to spend it.

Third shop I talked to had the G2C for $219. as mentioned above, and had sold aproximately eight hundred plus G2Cs in the past few months alone.

I have yet to test mine out, but will advise the group MOST HEATEDLY if mine needs work or say chokes on a certain ammo, and I WILL ask for 2nds of "Crow" if anyone is curious.

Not expecting that however based on my research. I too don't have the extra $200. plus for a other Glock right now, and liked the little pistol for a variety of reasons.

Best to all and much respect to those who have posted pro and con.

Gray_Rider
    Old Secessh

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    deputy tom and Out West like this.
  6. vista461

vista461

I’ve had a couple of Millennium Pros a number of years ago, so it’s not like I’ve never experienced a Taurus. If I work for a department and they issued Taurus, I’d quit.

7. MrS&W

MrS&W

Who cares about those who feel like they're too good to own or carry a Taurus... I've owned 2 PT111s, 2 TCPs, and a Model 85... I also own more expensive firearms... I'd have no problem carrying a Taurus over a Glock or the like if I had to. They reliably fire a round at a target when the trigger is pull just like my other pistols...

Taurus has up there game, improved their QC, and are putting out products that just work despite the price tag and their past indigestion... They are selling boat loads of pistols to casual and experienced shooters alike. Haters are going to hate on other firearm manufacturers no matter who they are... Comes with the territory in the gun community unfortunately...

kody1234 likes this.
  8. MrS&W

MrS&W

Yea, you said it right.. You had experience "years ago" with products that have long since been upgraded or discontinued. Products that are selling well and by overwhelming accounts, are proven to be reliable... If I was issued a Taurus, I'd accually would put rounds through the gun first, and then form my opinion based on how the firearm preformed aka facts instead of on feelings and conjure.

9. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Those of us who have never owned a Taurus probably were scared away by the stories of poor followup service when problems were identified.

Lord knows, that Glock has released for sale pistols that were not ready for prime time to include the beloved G19. But after initially blaming "operator error" for the problems they fixed them. My later G36 has never missed a beat.

So until the internet gets flooded with stories about excellent customer service by Taurus they will be a suspect company by some dealers and those who do not already have a great working model.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Let us know when Glock, Sig, and others drop their prices. Not seeing it yet.

Glad some of you have had good luck with Taurus. The one and only one I owned was a disaster.

boilergonzo likes this.
  11. MrS&W

MrS&W

An old long surpassed model I bet... The Taurus Slim you had 9 years ago? The same year it was first released? It was first released in 2010 which is the same year you purchased yours... Seem to have had suffered from minor issues that most new models suffer from except, unlike with some the Shield, Sig, Walther, Springfield, Ruger, etc models, it wasn't a potentially serious safety issue. One would think that like most other companies who suffer from the same issues with new releases, that they've long since fix the issue just about a decade later... The only difference is that people don't hold life long grudges when it's other manufacturers...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  12. dbuck47

dbuck47

No.

Taurus has made some good firearms. In my dad's store, I sold several of the 92 clones and had 0 complaints. We sold several of the Taurus and Rossi "j frame" .38s, but most of those were probably shot little if at all. Seems like one came back with a complaint over the years.

But no, Glock, Smith and Wesson, Sig, et al don't lose sleep over Taurus.

13. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

The simple answer is 'yes', Taurus is a viable thread to other firearm manufacturers. Simple math. There is a finite amount of $ spend on new firearms in the course of a year. Every gun maker is competing for that same pool of money. You can break that pool down into smaller segments; CCW guns, L.E. sales, military etc. Within the CCW segment, particularly the compact and single-stack segment, Taurus has been one of the companies killing some of the larger companies. The PT111 G2 was the hottest selling pistol in America for quite a spell. The newer G2S and G2C are maintaining that momentum. For every G2 sold, that's a bite out of the Shield, LC9s and G43(X) market. And it can be argued that for every Shield/LC9s sold it's also a bite out of the G43(X) and even 365 market. Again, simple math. Someone spending $200 on a G2 isn't spending $500 on a G43(X). Again, same can be said with the Shield/LC9s taking a bite out of the single-stack market. All three pistols are comparable in size and close to the same price and around half of a Glock or Sig.

I would also put forth the 365 has taken a huge bite out of Glock (and others like HK). Particularly since the price has been reduced and the issues fixed.

No, Glock isn't in danger of going out of business (like HK). However, I applaud any company, like Taurus, that makes a good product, and takes a slice of the market away from Glock. No because I don't like Glock, I do like Glock. I carry Glock on duty and teach Glock. But Glocks are overpriced in this market. Anything that may drive their price down is a good thing because I'm pro-consumer.

MrS&W likes this.
  14. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

I’ve had two Tauruses in my life. A PT 92 that was a solid pistol and I regret selling. A 85 revolver that was a giant POS that would not stay timed. I got sick of paying overnight shipping for them to “fix” it. Sold it for parts. A friend of mine had a 709 that was total junk. I have the money to own quality firearms at this point in my life. No need to shop in the bargain bin anymore. Taurus is probably fine for those that only have a couple hundred to spend but I prefer to carry what I know works. There is a reason US PDs carry Glock, Sig, S&W, HK, and CZ. To my knowledge none carry Taurus.

15. Out West

Out West

My guess is that a saturated market and production capacity far exceeding demand are a bigger worry for all the gun companies than competition from one particular competitor.

Lagamor and RichardB like this.
  16. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

I admit that I have shied away from Taurus simply because of the volume of negative things I've read online. You can read bad things about any brand, but I pay attention to the ratio of bad to good, and Taurus doesn't seem to do well in that regard. I shy away from Kimber for the same reason, and they're supposedly a premium brand. All that said, I would consider a Taurus if they made a gun that I was truly interested in, but given everything I've read, I'd do a lot of homework before putting my money down.

Frankly though, all the brand snobbery gets old after a while. And I'm sick to death of comments about how the only reason anyone would buy a "budget" brand is because they're either too poor or too stupid to spend the money on a "real" gun. I own four carry guns: a SCCY CPX-3, Glock 26.5, Glock 42, and Glock 48. The Glocks each have more than 1500 rounds, and the SCCY has over 1000 (only because it's less than two months old). Only two of them have been 100% reliable, and one is the SCCY (the 26 is the other). Anyone want to guess which one currently gets the most carry time? Hint, it's not a Glock.

I love my Glocks, but sometimes good things come where you don't expect them. I can afford pretty much any mainstream gun I want, as long as I'm willing to argue with my wife about why I need "just one more", but I will consider any brand that makes a gun that interests me.

And someone is surely going to say that I'm lying about the guns I own, so here they are:

Carry_Guns.jpg

Deputydave likes this.
  17. tacticaljoey

tacticaljoey

Hate to bust your bubble but SCCY has a pretty poor track record. It’s your life, but I only carry what I know I can count on. Honestly, I would probably carry a HiPoint over a SCCY

jr24 likes this.
  18. papershoot

papershoot

The talk about poor quality control made me leery of buying one of the pistols and I never did. Several years ago, I did buy a CT40 Taurus pistol caliber carbine after they were discontinued and the LGS had them discounted to $400. Except for crappy sights and the two proprietary 10 round magazines, which can not be replaced, it a well made rifle IMO.

19. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I've only owned two Taurus handguns so far. One was a plastic 9mm pistol (model forgotten) and a model 85UL revolver. The plastic pistol didn't malfunction but didn't impress me. I just felt cheap so away it went. The 85 UL is a winner. I have owned many brands of handguns and also rifles and shotguns. If I was looking to buy another plastic pistol, I'd probably buy a used Gen 3 G19 and grind off the finger grooves and undercut the trigger guard also smooth out the inside of the trigger guard and call it good. BTDT. YMMV. tom. :cowboy:

Deputydave likes this.
  20. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

Really? And what do you base that on? I've read lots of good reviews of SCCY pistols, and a few bad ones. In other words, like pretty much any other brand. I'm aware of one problem that they had with a batch of bad barrels a few years ago that they fixed. A lot of high end companies have had to do recalls (shadow or otherwise) over the years, and I don't hold that against them, so I'm not going to hold it against SCCY either. And although I could be wrong, I'm not aware of anyone actually being injured by a defective SCCY, and I've looked. You can't say that about SIG, can you?

And here's the thing. I actually own one. I know how it's built. I can see the design decisions that were probably made to save money, but I also see a simple and fairly rugged design. And while I don't claim any particular expertise, I am a Glock Certified Armorer, so I at least have some knowledge about taking pistols apart and assessing them. I'd never claim that a SCCY has the build quality of a Glock, but I don't expect to get 100,000 rounds out of it either. When it wears out, I'll buy another one. That is unless one of the high end manufacturers can be bothered to make a small, locked breech, double stack .380 by then.

MrS&W and Deputydave like this.