Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forget where I read it, but I recall something about the law may soon change making it legal to own a Silencer Suppressor, without the need of paying fee to the government for the privilege of using one. If they do become legal I would buy one as a courtesy to my neighbors and so I would not need to wear ear protection.

My CCW is a Glock 29 loaded with high velocity rounds, but when I practice I switch over to a .40 caliber conversion barrel loaded with heaver but slower (sub-sonic) rounds that provide similar recoil as the more powerful 10mm ammo. I do this because the .40 caliber ammo is a lot less expensive than the 10mm ammo.

·
SAFETY PIN CRITIC!!
11,774 Posts
Seeing that there is tech in place that can locate a gunshot noise by triangulation methods active in some locales and being explored in others, I doubt it.

·
SAFETY PIN CRITIC!!
11,774 Posts
Hell, I'd like to have a silenced 22 LR for varmint and pest control as well as plinking, but it's just stupid to have to deal with.
I mean, shot is shot, grave bodily injury is just that and graveyard dead is dead. Just because its less noisy doesn't change any of that.
Crime is still crime.
I've got neighbors who would soil themselves if I triggered off a 10mm in SD at 3 am.. It's bad enough to have to shoot some fool to stay alive anyway, why scare the whole neighborhood to death in the process?

·
Federal Member
29,429 Posts
Shooting suppressed weapons gets very addictive!!

Especially suppressed .22's.

No more tax stamps for suppressors, SBR's & SBS would be very nice as well.

:thumbsup:

·
Right wing nut
9,442 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
29,064 Posts
Yep, suppressor companies are pushing it. It will happen right after Hillary is indicted. :supergrin:

wp

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
There are a lot of people hoping it will pass, but if anything kills it, it will be the loss of the $200.00 tax for each item.

In addition, I would be in favor of a repeal of the National Firearms Act of 1934, but I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

·
NRA Life Member
29,064 Posts
It could be worse; the Feds could have indexed the $200 tax for inflation since 1934. :alex:

wp

Reactions: Dr. Bill

·
NRA Life Member
29,064 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hell, I'd like to have a silenced 22 LR for varmint and pest control as well as plinking, but it's just stupid to have to deal with.
I mean, shot is shot, grave bodily injury is just that and graveyard dead is dead. Just because its less noisy doesn't change any of that.
Crime is still crime.
I've got neighbors who would soil themselves if I triggered off a 10mm in SD at 3 am.. It's bad enough to have to shoot some fool to stay alive anyway, why scare the whole neighborhood to death in the process?
I recall that my father had a homemade silencer on his 22 rifle. It only worked when he shot "gallery shorts". A 22 LR is supper sonic and makes a loud crack. I found a link that demonstrates the difference that a silencer makes when using super-sonic and sub-sonic ammo. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...AB6258AFDE7DBA8DF78EAB6258AFDE7DB&FORM=VRDGAR

When my dad passed away, I looked all over for his 22 rifle and that silencer he made for it. I could not find it. He must have sold it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't like either the $200 fee or the wait but would be willing to keep paying the $200 to be able to walk out with a suppressor that day. A compromise like that might get it passed.

·
Banned
764 Posts
So...one spends hard-earned money on a LEGAL firearm....then spends more hard-earned money for "permission" to own a LEGAL suppressor....then even MORE hard-earned money to purchase said LEGAL suppressor....

Now, our LEGAL owner owns a LEGAL firearm, a LEGAL tax stamp and LEGAL suppressor....but is still bound by the laws of the land, as he cannot go shoot folks with his LEGAL stuff. So why was he extorted in this racket to begin with, aside from fattening the monster we call Big Bubba?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts