Are perforated leather jackets cool enough for hot summers?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by shamster, Jun 12, 2005.

1. shamster

shamster 1911 Shooter Millennium Member

I am currently shopping for a good jacket now. The thing is, I can't buy 2 jackets for different seasons now, so I need to get one that covers "most" needs. I probably won't ride as much in the winter so I don't need something very warm.
    I really do like the looks and benefits of a good leather jacket. But I am pretty sensitive to heat. Here in NJ, our summers can get pretty hot. Would I still feel like a roasted turkey inside a perforated leather jacket compared to a textile jacket with venting? I was hoping a perforated leather jacket would still be tolerable in the summer so during cooler weather, I can just throw on a liner underneath.

Thanks in advance!

2. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

I have a perforated leather that I wear year round. We have triple digit temps pretty much all summer here and I've never had a problem. Might I suggest Vanson as they seem to flow the most of all the Perfed leather stuff I've seen, and their quality is second to none.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Perforated leathers help with the ventilation a bit, but not really that much more than regular jacket. The holes are small and spaced further apart than the holes on a textile mesh jacket. Zippered vents work much better, especially when worn in combination with one of those fancy undershirt from Under Armour or CoolMax.

4. shamster

Thanks for the advice.

I am considering two Alpinestar jackets now (I know...I seem to have a new choice everyday). One is the Spinner and the other is the perforated Stunt.

Alpinestar Spinner

Alpinestar Stunt (perforated)

Which one of the above would be better for summer days that go over 90? I'm sure textile or mesh would be cooler, but after all the accident stories I've read about, I think I'll feel better if I'm in leather. Like a dog with a thick coat, I don't handle heat too well, so I hope that it will at least be tolerable when riding.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Well, the Spinner does have some perforation but not much and it's not readily zip-able to a riding pant like the Stunt. The Stunt is of slightly thinner leather.

Either one is better than none. The prices are about the same. I think that this is a coin tossing selection.

6. shamster

I'll keep the Stunt in mind. Thanks again for your expertise, fnfalman. Do you have any particular leather jackets you recommend for hot summer days that still have important protective features?

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm not an expert on motorcycling and gears, but I am an expert at taking care of myself.

I don't really have any particular recommendation because your perceived needs aren't the same as mine. Your riding conditions aren't the same as mine. I can only say that you get the best you can for your money. Oh yes, stay away from Frank Thomas brand. They are literally crap.

The thing about riding jacket and pants is that not only you have to worry about abrasion resistance, but the seams have to stitched correctly as well. It does no good if you have 2-mm thick leathers on and the seams get busted if you hit the road. Then that leather pants or jacket would just open up like a crack lobster and there goes your skin/hard points protection.

Look into Heine Gerick gears as well. They offer a large selection of jacket styles.

Don't limit yourself to leathers either. If you KNOW that your freeway and high speed ridings (well in excess of 40-50 MPH) are going to be limited, then you may need to look at textile jackets. They are more comfortable and better vented. I've seen some BMW textiles that have excellent armours and heavy cloth for the arms and shoulders while the chest and back are mesh for ventilation. But be aware that a good textile is not that much cheaper than a good leather.

The only thing a leather outfit has over a textile outfit is abrasion resistance.

I know that I am one of those "leathers" guys, but you know what? BMW has more textile gears than leather gears and plenty of BMW riders (lots of mileage, high speed touring, sport riding, etc.) wear them.

The hottest I've ever worn leathers was high 80s Farenheit and it was uncomfortable but bearable. But in Jersey with high humidity and high temperature? I would be wearing textile too.

8. shamster

Thanks again! I don't imagine most of my riding to be on the highway, but I'm sure it will happen in the future. And when it does, it will probably be for 1/2 hour to an hour.

Any place online where you can check out BMW textile jackets?

9. kshuart

kshuart

Perforated leather works well in two conditions: cold and rain

If it gets really hot where you are at, spend another $100 and something like the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

BMW used to list their catalog online but not any more. You'll have to go into a dealership and look at the gear catalog nowadays. But be forewarned, they are as expensive as a good leather jacket. Come to think of it, a good Vanson textile or Aerostitch will set you back some bucks also.

11. Romulas

Romulas

I ride with a joe rocket pheonix jacket. Its mesh so it wokrs really good while your moving, but keep in mind that when you stop you are sitting with a longsleeves, pants, and you have hot motor right underneath your face. nothing is going to be perfect. I went down wearing a rocket jacket in march. a lady ran a red when i was turning left. The jacket held great. It was torn a bit but i was fine. I ended up with a skinned knee(regular jeans) and some bruises. I had brusies on my hands and elbows but i shudder to think what would have come of me if i had the typical 'helmet and tanktop on'. Me and my bike went our seperate ways and i ended up tearing up most of my gear on the pavement. Joe Rocket jackets are great and come with a wind/rain proof liner that works down to about 50 degrees. I ride my ninja rearly year round in colorado. when i snows i have to drive my Z.