Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im seeing more of the so called gun experts touting them but are there really gaining ground? I use a private range now so I dont see any other shooters anymore so I don't know

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yes, They are definitely gaining a lot of traction in the last couple years.

Red dots on pistols are the future. In another 10 years I bet they’re as common as optics on rifles.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I put a dot on my SP101 for carrying when out in the field running my dogs. It works great and has extended my usable range and accuracy. Nice when I might have to use it close to one of my dogs.

There's one catch though. Drawing and instantly acquiring the dot is not always automatic. It can take a moment. You have to present the gun the same way every time in order to quickly acquire the dot. I practice but it's not 100% guaranteed that I'll see it immediately. Not terribly important out in the field (I'll trade it for accuracy) but on a home defense or carry gun it's probably a little more important.

My carry guns are glocks and they have different grip angles and a very different overall feel. Finding the front sight is different than having developed the muscle memory to acquire the dot quickly especially under stress much less on two different platforms.

May someday when my eyes are bad enough I'll take the time to learn a dot on one of my carry guns. But not just yet.
SP101 Venom.jpg

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I just fitted one on a pistol, it's going to take more learning than I anticipated. I do like it and expect it to tighten my 25 yard groups.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If your gun has high quality iron sights, and your eyesight is good to very good, you may not see much benefit to adding an optic -- Yet.

I'm 72 years old. My eyesight is good, but allergies sometimes blur my left (shooting) eye some. Also, my focus is not what it once was, and it's sometimes hard and slow to properly focus the front sight while still seeing the target. I also need a bit more light than most indoor ranges provide.

For me, a red dot sight a tremendous help. I find I can now use both eyes and focus them on the target. My vision is much improved when using both eyes.

Laser sights are also a good help, but not in bright daylight. The red dot works under all conditions where I can see the target.

·
NRA Life Member
66,538 Posts
Im seeing more of the so called gun experts touting them but are there really gaining ground? I use a private range now so I dont see any other shooters anymore so I don't know
Who cares if they are popular? The question is whether they help you and are practical for your use. Carrying a gun is not a fashion statement.

·
M62/76
12,564 Posts
More popular than they’ve ever been and growing. Not my thing though.

Reactions: 'Ol Grandad

·
DEPLORABLE ME!
11,942 Posts
I used to think optics on handguns were bull crap, except scopes on hunting revolvers. As my eyes got older, i have more difficulty in holding focus on the target and front sight. I've seen the light....

I'm fitting my s&w 617 with a Vortex Venom.

Reactions: Sechott and -JCN-

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
A home defense handgun maybe but I have no interest in one on my carry gun where keeping the bulk down is one of my criteria so that I WILL carry every day!

·
Director of civil unrest
10,294 Posts
They've gotten quite popular. They are a useful item. I will never have one on a carry piece. Range/HD weapon? Maybe but probably not.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Who cares if they are popular? The question is whether they help you and are practical for your use. Carrying a gun is not a fashion statement.
I concur, carrying a gun is NOT a fashion statement.

Any handgun I now purchase must be suitable for mating to a red-dot sight. The only exception would be an out and out pocket pistol (Ruger LCP size handgun, S&W "J-frame"). Why? Because, when wearing my bifocal glasses I cannot clearly see the front sight of my handguns.

This is not a craze, nor are red-dot sights gimmicks. I believe these sights will become the new normal for the majority of handguns. Designs will change, the sights will become integral with the handgun (as adjustable sights are integral with some pistols/revolvers now).

For law enforcement, i suggest these type sights will become mandatory. This will reduce inappropriate shootings by law officers who see a blur in the hands of the person being challenged and think "gun" when the object turns out to be "cell phone."

With the red-dot, your point of aim and your target are on a single focal plane. Police agencies and law enforcement depts will be sued into compliance on the matter. Bet ya a large cup of coffee and a donut of your choice!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have three pistols. Two of them have a Holosun 507c mounted. One is my EDC and my old eyes need the optic advantage. It took many rounds of practise to be comfortable with them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My eyesight is not good and I wear glasses all the time if I’m not asleep. I can see irons just fine in the day or night if I have my glasses on. I recently purchased a Glock 45 mos and I put an rmr on it. Also put on some suppressor height sights with tritium front. This pistol is my dedicated night stand pistol. In the middle of the night I can grab it and not worry about finding or putting on my glasses. I can see the red dot fine without my glasses, I also have a TLR1HL light on my 45mos. In the day I shoot the 45mos just as good using the irons if I have my glasses on. To me, irons are faster to acquire if I’m wearing my glasses. The red dots have their place and I like my setup. Works well for me and my eyesight issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I used a tube type dot optic on a revolver I hunt with since about '78 or '79 and it now has a ultra dot 2moa on it but I consider it a offensive type firearm . We have a 6moa dot on a M&P CORE that has moved froma match pistol to a hd handgun I could carry too if my eye sights requires it . Wife now carrys a p365xl that's optic ready if she needs it .

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I'd put one on a duty/range pistol, but EDC? Call me skeptical.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
And furthermore... I was at lunch with Sam Spade (yeah, "our" Sam Spade) a while ago and this was a topic of discussion. Sam Spade had two observations:

1-He thought the new, "enclosed" red-dot sights (like the Acro) were the way to go, and,
2-He suggested that red-dot sights for law enforcement issue should be wirelessly rechargeable (as with some cell phones).

I liked the rechargeable idea. Need to try out the Acro type before offering an opinion.

·
Registered
21,468 Posts
And furthermore... I was at lunch with Sam Spade (yeah, "our" Sam Spade) a while ago and this was a topic of discussion. Sam Spade had two observations:

1-He thought the new, "enclosed" red-dot sights (like the Acro) were the way to go, and,
2-He suggested that red-dot sights for law enforcement issue should be wirelessly rechargeable (as with some cell phones).

I liked the rechargeable idea. Need to try out the Acro type before offering an opinion.
I'll send you an email. Went through a course last month and several had the acro. Their battery life was measured in weeks.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts