Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching reruns of the Gold Rush TV show. It's a "reality" show that follows several low-rent gold mining crews up north. The main attraction of this sh-- show is Papa Squeaky and the God squad, aka... Jack and Todd Hoffman's crew. These two are the head grifters who've managed to convince their low-IQ friends to follow them off yet another cliff of financial ruin.

These guys are weapons-grade losers. Year after year they fail miserably, yet never do anything to improve themselves beyond praying and begging people for money. Every other word out of their mouths is "believe", "luck", "miracle", "hope", "chance" and any other wishful thinking term they can murmur through the morphine haze.

Never is logic applied... never are actual numbers crunched... never is reality embraced. They simply refuse to face the responsibilities that real men face everyday. They hide from life, and instead opt to have fun playing in the dirt with their Tonka toys while losing other peoples' money hand over fist, and watching their houses get foreclosed, and their kids take welfare.

I made a similar comment to my wife, and her response was that they're just loveable losers. I thought about that for a moment, and couldn't think of a single thing to love about losers. I don't get it. I mean we've all tried and failed at something, but I'm talking about hardcore, generational victimhood mentality.

Anyway, my rant is less specifically about the Hoffman cult, but more about hopeless losers in general, and WHY anyone ever coined the term "loveable losers". Discuss??

·
Why so serious?
65,677 Posts
Have you heard about the lonesome loser?

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Todd is a likeable guy but a terrible miner. If you did not notice they are doing fine, I am sure the show is covering all of their losses and inciting much of their foolishness. I like the show but they keep trying to increase the drama. I watch it for large equipment and scenery, they can keep the drama.

·
Caffeinator
5,683 Posts
"Dreamers" can be very charismatic people, but it is better to stay on the sidelines and watch them rather than get involved with them.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
A fundamental quality of human nature is what you are talking about.

People root for underdogs and follow charisma - no matter how evil or stupid.

The worst sort of people are those who realize this and capitalize on it.

You know..........politicians.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
There is something I am convinced of. Characters that embody lots of "loser" traits are popular among men for a reason. I'm talking the likes of Homer Simpson, Dumb and Dumber guys, The Dude. Men watch them, get a kick out of them and can say "At least I'm not as big a loser as that guy". Makes us feel good about ourselves.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What I learned from Gold Rush is finding gold and the costs to find the gold seem to scale linearly.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Yea, I think a LOT of that show is scripted. I remember the beginning of that show, about two years in. They went to a REAL mining operation. The real miner explains that you don't just buy property and mine it, you dig test holes on the property to find out if there really is gold on that property before actually doing any mining.

The idea that they are getting paid means they don't have to MAKE money being miners, they just have to be entertaining.

·
Registered
43,136 Posts
They really are loveable to some. I'd follow Von Hayes anywhere.

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,864 Posts
From what I have seen while tending bar, losers have some magic attractant that draws women to them like horse manure draws flies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts