ARe lockpicks legal? Which one should I get?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by alfred10, Mar 6, 2010.

1. alfred10

alfred10

I decided I want to learn how to pick locks and extract broken keys so that I dont have to call and pay a smith 50 bucks. What are the Pa laws on this? How hard is it to learn?
    http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-Tools/Lock-Pick-Set-17-Piece-PXS-17.html
    How many locks can I get in with this one?
    http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-Tools/Jackknife-Pocket-Lock-Pick-Sets.html

I dont want to get so many tools that I would never learn how to use or need.

How about the rubber vs steel handels?
    http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-Tools/Lock-Pick-Set-14-Piece-PXS-14.html

2. Kith

Kith

Yes, they are legal.

If you get stopped, and you can't provide a good reason for having them, they very quickly become 'burglary tools' and you can get into a lot of trouble.

If you are in a place you are legally allowed to be, and not acting shady, then you should be ok.

Lockpicking is pretty easy, once you understand what exactly you are trying to do.

There is a big difference between picking a lock like what would be on a door to a structure, versus a lock on a car. Car locks are very different from virtually everything else.

If you'd like a good place to start your education, try here:
    http://www.lockpicking101.com/

I'd recommend that you get a block of wood, cut a bunch of holes in it in a row, and then go to your local hardware store and get a handful of locks on the cheap (chech the used hardware section) and then install them all in the holes. Now you have 5 or 6 locks all right next to each other you can practice picking.

I'd recommend also that you do what I did and spend time working with a locksmith. This will accelerate your education significantly.

Good luck and happy picking!

3. bigjohninva

bigjohninva

in virginia burglary tools. you better be a locksmith with proper i.d. or you will be charged.

4. turbobrick

turbobrick

If I were not a locksmith, I would not have picks in my posession. I would have them at home, but not just while generally out in public. I support people wanting to learn the craft, its my job to employ hardware that cannot be picked in sensitive areas. Low security locks, ie almost all of them, are succeptable to many kinds of attacks, not just picking. If you really want to practice, swing by your local lock shop, and see if they have old hardware that they have salvaged and would sell to you for cheaper than the crappy new locks at the hardware store. I've got so much old hardware here I'm not sure why I keep saving it.

5. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

6. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

I have a friend with a plumbing business who makes bonus money getting into locked apartments with water flowing under the door.

Property managers will throw money at you to make it stop.

I learned how from him and haven't trusted a cheap lock since.

Average hardware store lock-set > childproofing but not by much.

7. GAFinch

GAFinch

I have a set similar to your 1st link that I ordered at a local locksmith, for occasional use at rental houses when our maintenance guy is busy elsewhere. With no formal training (couple internet videos), I'm successful about two-thirds of the time.