Are kettlebells a terrorist threat?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Halojumper, May 18, 2007.

1. Halojumper

Halojumper

I am traveling this week and, as I sometimes do, I decided to bring a kettlebell along. I modified a small bag with padding to bring it along. I always put it in checked baggage and every time I pick it up from baggage claim, it has a small slip of paper that says it was opened up and inspected. I guess it looks suspicious on the X-ray or something. LOL.

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

It probably looks like a cannonball to them!

Sounds like the low buck terrorist approach.;)

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

LOL Brad.

Halo, I'm not sure I know your fitness goals, but have you considered travelling with a cable set?

Jack

4. Halojumper

Halojumper

No, while I agree that it would be easier to travel with, that workout just doesn't interest me. Generally where I stay they have some sort of fitness facility, so that would be a better option. This week I am at the Long Beach Hilton and they have a very nice facility here.

5. Halojumper

Halojumper

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Maybe they're worried that pirates will start becoming terrorists. :)

6. DBradD

DBradD

Dayum! My wife went to a Play It Again Sports store the other to buy a kettlebell for me as a surprise (didn't get it) and she actually described it something like "imagine a cannonball or bomb with a handle."

Also, you make me feel like a total wimp. When I travel, I'm trying to find weight to NOT take and you're adding a huge weight. I guess that could be a workout in itself.

You must be serious about your KBs. What kid of workout do you do with them?

7. Halojumper

Halojumper

I try to do a variety. Of course I always start off with some two handed swings and do sort of a medley. When I'm at home, I do a better workout. I'm getting to the point where my travel sized 35 isn't giving me as good of a workout anymore. I have a separate bag, on wheels that I travel with. Aside from that, I also try to cut down on the weight.

8. DBradD

DBradD

So do you follow a specific program?

9. Halojumper

Halojumper

I wouldn't say it's an actual structured program. I took the intro course from an RKC who was in town and have gotten some DVD's and tapes. I say I do them every day, which functionally ends up being about 5 days a week. I follow the PACE approach stated in Dr. Sears's book. That said, I try to do a variety, while always doing some of the same basics. When the weather is nice, on the weekends, I sometimes take a couple to the park and do the KB flipping stuff and the man maker and my regular stuff. Last weekend I was there doing some swings and a guy playing catch football with his kid asked me which direction I was getting ready to throw it so he could get out of the way.

10. DBradD

DBradD

That's cool. Thanks for the info.

11. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Why bother with putting the kettlebell in a bag? I'd bet the reason they keep inspecting it is that the baggage handlers are expecting a light bag based on the size, when they go to pick it up and find out it's heavy the flag it for inspection. Just put a tag on the handle and call it good.

12. Halojumper

Halojumper

I thought of that, but decided that is was too much risk of getting the handle broken off if it gets dropped wrong. Also, the bag I put it in has wheels and an extendable handle. That being said, it is probably the last time I will take it. It has gotten to the point that a 35 alone isn't a good enough workout, so it's not worth the hassle of toting it around.