Are Homosexuals born or made?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Vic777, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Agreed,,but that does not absolve us from the command to pray for them...however I do not judge, firstly because my sin is just as bad and just as hurtful to my Lord...and I do not judge because I know that is the sole providence of the Lord, and He will take care of it, in His perfect timing. I simply pray that their eyes might be open to the One who can save them

2. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

In this day and age I think there is a combo of both going on. However I think a true homosexual is born that way. To go into if it were a gene how could we not phase it out is just stupid and ridiculous. The list of genetic diseases that exist is extensive that we don’t completely understand and are unable to eradicate from the genome. I honestly believe people cannot help what they are attracted to and what turns them on or fits their fancy so to speak. Explains all the weird fetishes and the far outliers like pedophiles. I don’t think a pedophile can help that they are attracted to children. Something just went wrong somewhere in their genome. They are unable to be reformed because you can’t change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KikoMonster, badge315 and cheygriz like this.

3. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Here's a question that bothers me.

If homos are really born that way, are pedophiles also born that way??

If a pedophile, or necrophile, or whatever is born that way, but CHOOSES not to act on his/her desires, could an LGBTQ also have the option of CHOOSING not to act on those desires????

It seems to me that one's desires may, or may not be under one's own control. But there is no question in my mind that acting on that desire is COMPLETELY under one's own control.

4. thespork

thespork

I think, unfortunately, some if what you are saying is true...
    Pedophilia is some kind of structural malfunction that is virtually impossible to change...
    Homosexuality may indeed be similar...

However, it takes an act of monumental willful ignorance to NOT see that harming a child is something that requires an active intervention on the part of society whereas two consenting adults entering into a relationship is not...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    KikoMonster, HarlDane and badge315 like this.
  5. Dynactus

Dynactus

Folks, since I don't have a dog in this fight, I really haven't given this subject much, if any, thought. My two posts regarding the homosexual cat and pot causing homosexuality were made completely in jest. I try to maintain a live and let live attitude as much as possible. Nobody knows, with any degree of absolute certainty, if homosexuality is caused by nature or nurture. All I can tell you is good luck trying to figure that one out.

Intolerant and Dave Brubaker like this.
  6. powernoodle

powernoodle

It doesn't matter. What matters is that each of us has been given free will. So the propensity to engage in same-sex sexuality, or gambling or pedophilia or hoarding or gluttony, can be controlled by our choices. If one has the propensity to drink alcohol, for example, he nonetheless can exercise his free will and not raise the bottle to his lips. In fact, free will is the cure to alcoholism, and is the only means by which one does not remain a drunk. And so too a person with a propensity to engage in same-sex sexuality can chose to act on it or chose not to act on it.

So one cannot reasonably argue that because he was "born this way", he therefore has carte blanche to act on his propensity. One cannot say, "I was born a pedophile, so don't ask me not to act on it".

We can largely control our desires, but we can completely control our actions. So whether same-sex sexuality is congenital or it isn't, its not an excuse to engage in the behavior.

7. mc1911

mc1911

Maybe both?

8. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Love the people, detest the behavior.

The Behavior is when you make the choice of doing something, whether to eat, to shoot, to rob banks, to excel, to compete, to be better than you are, to be faithful, to self indulge, etc.

We are drifting to the notion that behaviors CAN be excused with another thing, say genetics.
    So do that when the real culprit is Lack of Self Control.

Do you eat beef or chicken? It is a choice of life style behavior. Many people make a living in changing behaviors. Bobby Knight, an imperfect man and abasketball coach who won so many games because he was successfully changed behaviors in mediocre kids into competitors. So are sargents in boot camps. Some people need a knock on side of the head to grow up, to be something more than they are, that is well within their capabilities or the way they are wired, as some would say.

The fact that we have coaches and counselors is an admission and a recognition that behaviors can be changed.

Or, we can say that due to genetics, we have broken families, lying politicians, cheating car salesmen, fat people, anorexic people, Gamblers, etc.
    Do this, to redefine abnormalities as being Normal.

Intolerant and cheygriz like this.
  9. NMG26

NMG26

If it is an ideology no excuse is necessary, just a paradigm sift.

If you assume homosexuality to be wrong then you must make excuse.
    If you make no such assumption, no excuse is necessary.

KikoMonster likes this.
  10. Eagle54

Eagle54

I don't know what it is. However I see nothing wrong with the OP's argument/premise. If one takes this to the extreme, its the end of the human species.

What causes it, I don't know. I don't much think about it. Food supply, environmental, abuse, etx. Whatever makes em happy, let them be with one caveat. What I don't appreciate is it being jammed in our faces when its a small % of the population. My heterosexual friends don't flaunt what they do in the bedroom with their wives, so....

Intolerant and cheygriz like this.
  11. fg17

fg17

Your coming at it from the stand point that what, consenting adults, LGBTQ folks are doing is wrong. Well I suppose it’s a choice if I sleep with my wife, but I ain’t no priest and I don’t have that kind of will power.:D Such a bizarre thread, it’s 2020 for Christ sake.

12. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

My personal opinion has always been "born". I have a difficult time believing that people like Chris Crocker and Milo were straight men who were "made" to be gay.

I also knew a butch lesbian in my younger years, a police officer, and I also have a hard time believing she was ever straight either.

So I'm going to say: born. My personal opinion.

clancy, pgg00 and fg17 like this.
  13. njl

njl Crusty Member

Sure. It's called the priesthood (or nunnery). It doesn't always work 100%.

14. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Those may just two examples of your own prejudice and perhaps uneducated presumption, at least on one of the parts.

15. njl

njl Crusty Member

What any number of consenting adults do in private is between them, and not your or my right to say "you shouldn't be doing that with/to each other."

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I am not religious, but just based on logic and rational consideration, I think it very likely, almost certain, that they are mostly made, not born.

I believe that people are born with a sex drive and, if there is a genetic component (animals suggest their is), it is likely that an inherited instinct would be to satisfy the sex drive in a way that continues the species, since that is the only reason for a sex drive to exist in nature. However, we see in examples like prisons that the sex drive will often (not always, or even usually) be satisfied is some way, even if the opposite sex is unavailable, just like we see that some people will become cannibals if there is no other food (while others will just starve to death). So, it looks like the sex drive, in some people, wins out over the instinct to have sex with the opposite sex. From there, it is no great stretch to assume that environmental factors could affect those people to change their preference, even where they are not in prison.

Ricky Ricardo likes this.
  17. Orive 8

Orive 8

100% in agreement, only thing I care about is = Are they pro 2nd Amendment or not.

KikoMonster and clancy like this.
  18. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

From what I'm told, it is the other way around. It helps them cope with what ever, and certainly not all have problems.
    The gays that I know seem to give a fuzzy rats whisker what society thinks about them, and I'm fine with that. Just like the rest of Western people, they don't care. My observation on the substance reliance comes from seeing a large portion of full bars and drug use in homes in that community, along with the precautions of working with them (medical) from people who partake in the same behavior.

19. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Behavior is learned. It's that simple.
    Pretending you can't help doing whatever you do is evading responsibility.
    Many bad choices are addictive.

Ricky Ricardo likes this.
  20. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

Don't know how they got here, they just need to go away.

Intolerant likes this.