Are Homosexuals born or made?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Vic777, Feb 16, 2020.

1. fastbolt

fastbolt

Well, considering it's been known to exist among humankind since our (currently known) earliest written records, it's not difficult to speculate that its existence predates those written records. You'd think that we'd have realized it's one of the myriad facets of human behavior by now.

2. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

I’m trying to understand your post. Can you translate the bolder part above for me?

3. clancy

clancy Ammon Bundy: I want the virus, now.

I really do not understand what it is you are trying to say.

4. BBMW

BBMW

Was it god, or was it the Catholic Church some time in the 13th century.

5. googanelli

googanelli

The question actually falls in to 2 different categories that show promise of scientific data supporting them.

The first is genetics.
    Just because we haven't located the individual gene that may or may not be programmed for hormone production, scent, sex preference, etc doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In fact, we have witnessed homosexual behavior throughout the animal kingdom. With us being animals, that leads me to believe that there is most likely a genetic switch to make someone be gay.

The second is behavior.
    Lots of things in affect and can influence behavior. Those external factors contribute to many things. Do you like brunettes? Blondes? Curly hair? Black women? White women? Men? Experiences and social structuring can affect these things can change how you view this topic. In 2020, it's not just socially acceptible to be gay, trans, etc, it's socially promoted. That means people feel free-er to make the decision to act in homosexual ways.

It's my opinion having known quite a few gay folks that the overwhelming majority(IMO around 75%) have had some kind of external influence that caused the to humanly behave as homosexual or otherwise. The remaining (and I'd guess it's maybe 25%) were born that way.

Joe

6. IvanVic

IvanVic

I know it’s hard to imagine, but he’s comparing obesity to homosexuality, and claiming that eating too many calories is the same thing as being attracted to the same sex.

Assuming that homosexuality isn’t entirely (or almost entirely) genetic, which is probably is, any influencing, non-genetic factors would occur doing formative years as a child - so either way it’s basically completely out of their control.

clancy likes this.
  7. John_AZ

John_AZ

I’ve been drunk plenty of times (might be now, who knows). Never had the urge to mingle with a man.

The reason the abuse is so high is because hypocrites judge them by what they do in the bedroom and try to drive them out of communities or make them hide who they really are.

Glad I am not titled by what I do in the bedroom. I’m not all that exciting. If I had to be given a title based on my bedroom activities, I would probably have to give up police work and move to Africa and try to convert people to Christianity and build schools.

DNA, pgg00, Hartford and 1 other person like this.
  8. clancy

One can also argue, convincingly, that the heterosexual community has a high drug and alcohol abuse rate, too. Is that caused due to stressors because of their sexual orientation, or stressors caused by others unwillingness to accept them as they are?

newglocker10mm likes this.
  9. Pluto57

Pluto57

Since their sexual proclivities probably showed up around puberty, presumably long before their first drink or joint, I'd have to say, yes, they would. While you may find this shocking, not all gay men are alcoholics or drug addicts. Some are, of course, and it may even be a somewhat higher percentage than the general population, but that's probably because they have to deal with the astounding level of ignorance that many people have regarding gays.

What I really find amazing is how willing people are to put that ignorance on display.

DAKA, badge315, HarlDane and 2 others like this.
  10. speedway

speedway

The lock is near

Intolerant and Just_plinking like this.
  11. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Maybe they should be.

You should have heard the earful I got when I was going to rent an apartment with my wife before we were married. In short, yeah it would be an issue, not that it matters (happily married, couldn't imagine my life w/o her).

Intolerant likes this.
  12. clancy

Perhaps stone them to death, too?

Syclone0538 likes this.
  13. Intolerant

Intolerant

Your NOT born gay. You are taught. Plain and simple, it is a mental disorder.
    Do you know how to do math when your born...? NO! You have to be taught! DUH!

By the way, when is the straight parade date again...??? I didnt see it advertised, or flaunted.

cheygriz likes this.
  14. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

You made the equivalency. I wouldn't stone anyone. I've got enough faults to have plenty of empathy. ( you caught me before i finished my thought)

15. Intolerant

Intolerant

Good God i hope so.

16. John_AZ

John_AZ

One of my fondest memories as a kid was when my dad taught me how to be straight. I’m so glad he taught me to be attracted to women and not men. I’d hate to have a mental disorder.

Is schizophrenia taught and learned too? Since we are relating homosexuality to mental disorders...

Syclone0538, IvanVic, hogarth and 4 others like this.
  17. Intolerant

Intolerant

A mental disorder is a mental disorder any way you stack it. Mentally ill people should be locked up so that their illnesses do NOT infect or effect others.

18. scattershot

scattershot

I happen to think it’s a mental disorder, and that it’s not something you’re born with, or that’s caused by external influences. Somehow, the wires got crossed, and it’s like paranoia or schizophrenia.

19. cbetts1

cbetts1

I believe real homosexuals are born that way. I believe some people are sexually abused and are exposed to homosexuality and that makes them think it's normal.

I worked at an airline as a Flight Attendant, I am male. I worked with all kinds of women and a lot of gay and straight guys. Growing up, I was not that up on the gay scene. I did not have one friend that was known to be gay or hear about it later. There was some theater guy but not in my group and not talked about.

During F/A training, we had 6 guys in my class, two were straight. I only thought one was gay, the others pretended not to be gay until later in training. One guy was like that guy from Beverly hills cop, on steroids. The other were great guys , you would never know. One guy explained how he was in high school, he tried to date but girls wouldn't do anything for him. He told me he would be naked with the hottest girl and it did nothing for him, he didn't understand why. He also said he knew he was different when is was very young, was not sexually assaulted. A lot of chicks in the class had the hots for him. He looked like the all American jock.

I flew with this older guy. He always looked ashen and unhealthy but was a good worker and nice to passengers. He told me how he told his parents he was gay and they didn't accept it. He was institutionalized and received shock treatments to cure his homosexuality. His parents were old school and just didn't understand it. After hearing that story, It changed my perception. He passed away.

I can't tell you how many times I was told you don't know what you are missing.

I have two boys and often have wondered if they may or many not be. Many people hide it and commit suicide.

I don't think it should be celebrated but it should be recognized with compassion , most of them don't have a choice. It would be interesting to find out what the cause is.

DAKA and clancy like this.
  20. evlbruce

evlbruce