Are Homosexuals born or made?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Vic777, Feb 16, 2020.

1. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Of course it's not fundamentally a choice. People want to be all sorts of things, but really being something is more about you being chosen by it.

I've known a few gays who suffered to such a great extent... there's not even a chance they chose that path.

The Bible arguments don't really hold any water. People have a wide range of 'sinful' proclivities that come largely from beyond their conscious choice.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    bruscifer, fg17, -JCN- and 1 other person like this.
  2. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Santinover's book Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth is an interesting read. He, like everyone, has a bias/perspective (in his case, a Christian psychiatrist, I believe; although, it was a little hard to tell if he was Christian or Jewish just by reading the book), but he handles the data reasonably well.

The first half of his book looks at medical & psychological aspects. It isn't nearly as simple as "born that way" (most think in terms of a "gay" gene) or a "choice" of the will. He looks at the data available relating to genetics, genetic influences, potential in utero dynamics, environmental influences, choice, and other possible influences.

The one challenge, which he already pointed out in his now more than 20 year old book is that even at the time he was writing, there were essentially no more studies being done because homosexuality was no longer considered a disorder. If it isn't a disorder, clinically speaking, there isn't much drive to study it. If it isn't being studied, we don't have good data to understand just what's going on in someone's genes/development/mind/whatever. Or, as some would say today, it isn't PC to ask those questions anymore.

rogn, Deltic and nursetim like this.

3. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

derp

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  4. John_AZ

John_AZ

5. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Some people are just wired different. Same as a liberal brain and a conservative one to some degree.

Gregoire G likes this.
  6. John_AZ

John_AZ

I don’t see how being gay is any different than guys (or girls I guess) who are attracted to Asians or chubby people. It’s all personal preference.

7. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I shave without lotion or cream and with COLD WATER! But I also sing show tunes while I do it.

Is this genetic or learned?

Intolerant likes this.
  8. nursetim

nursetim

Yeah, but not all homosexuals are crazy, seems all democrats are, and those that aren’t are exceptions that prove the rule.

9. Dynactus

Dynactus

Your subconscious is causing you to overcompensate. This over compensation has manifested itself by your shaving the hard way. I wonder if your repertoire of show tunes includes this iconic tune?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONwYOhpIAoY

JArthurD likes this.
  10. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I think some are born wired that way, I think many are drawn to it by a mental illness, a perverse sense of wanting to be "oppressed" for some reason.

11. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I can't say one way or the other. The community has a high drug and alcohol abuse rate though, so there may be other factors at play.
    I know a lot of women who have been turned by former male partners mistreating them. Of course they could use that as an excuse, but most women are only a few drinks away from being into women it has seemed.
    Interesting thoughts and probably no right answer.

12. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

My half brother is gay. I've discussed this w him extensively. He says he made no more decision to be gay than I did to b straight.

My father's ex wife who is his mother was extremely domineering and controlling. When my brother was young his being gay was attributed to this. My brother and some of his friends you I have talked to in depth all believe that it is just how you are born.

13. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Guess it depends on what one thinks as crazy. Both are to me. One for what I call a perversion and the other for beliefs.

Ricky Ricardo likes this.
  14. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut?

As long as they're not in my face, who cares?

15. jp 19

jp 19

I believe it is a learned, recruited behavior. I have my reasons but I am not going to write a 6 paragraph post.
    I try not to discriminate.

Intolerant and Trench Sweeper like this.
  16. KikoMonster

KikoMonster

They were born by a mother.
    Your point that it would essentially weed itself out makes sense. I do recall reading a study (sorry I cannot recall the journal), that pedigrees with a homosexual individual also aunts that had larger number of children than the population. It was suggested that the homosexual trait was offset (genetics/evolution)by the high reproduction rates in a previous generation.
    This seemed to answer the point raised in your question.
    I think homosexuality is a good thing with respect to population growth and their contribution to adoption. With respect to the bible, if love is the greatest commandment then everyone who has a loving heart should be okay.

rogn likes this.
  17. Fred Florist

Fred Florist

How would your post sound if you were to replace Homosexuality with Obesity ?

"I have a friend I know who is OBESE, and we discussed this in depth one night at the BUFFET bar. He says the thought of having NO FOOD is just as distasteful to him as it is to me thinking about SAUERKRAUT. He is just hard wired that way..."

And blame it on Genetic while you're at it.

18. Pluto57

Pluto57

Well, I'm not surprised the community has a high drug and alcohol abuse rate. I doubt, though, there is any causation. While it is accepted much more than it was in the past, just reading the vitriol directed towards gays here on GT clearly shows our society has a long way to go. That's likely the reason for the drug and alcohol abuse.

DNA, Syclone0538, fg17 and 2 others like this.
  19. lazarus66

lazarus66

Plenty of substance abuse across the whole population, really.

20. Dynactus

Dynactus

I wonder if the drug and alcohol abuse causes/contributes to their proclivities regarding their sexuality. In other word, would they cavort with other men if they weren't drunk, or high?