Glock 23 Are Grip Plugs a Good Idea?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dj40cal, Aug 3, 2020.

1. StraightG48

StraightG48

For me it's an OCD thing. With that being said, which brand for my G48? That hole needs a pluggin'!:D

jmohme likes this.
  2. jmohme

jmohme

Like a waste gate! That makes sense!:cheers:

3. alhovde

alhovde

Magwell gets my vote.

20200806_144537.jpg

As Garandthumb would say, "1000 percent!"

StraightG48 likes this.
  4. OdinIII

OdinIII

I agree 1000% but those aren’t allowed in my division.

-JCN- likes this.
  5. M 7

M 7

Since Glocks function just fine without a grip plug (it was designed that way for clearance of debris/dirt and to provide clearance in removing obstinate magazines after a malfunction) and adding one makes little difference unless it effects function adversely.

I s'pose that if it makes you feel better you could do add one, but past that point, there seems to be little to gain beyond the 'psychic comfort' of closing off that opening in the grip frame.

6. isp2605

isp2605

No it was not. Read Post # 21. Peng describes it well why there is a hole. It has nothing to do with mag removal, debris removal, or any of the such. It's made with the hole because of the way the injection molding is done. The plastic goes into the mold hot. A thick piece of plastic cools differently than the thinner pieces creating warpage and uneven results. That's just the way injection molding works. All that other hooey about mag removal, debris can fall out, etc are made up and repeated BS by those who never talked to anyone at Glock involved in the manufacturing process.

Steady Glockin likes this.
  7. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I have several Glocks, some have the Plug, some don't.
    I like the looks of a Glock with the plug. I even thought of getting them for all of them, just never got around to it.
    I'm probably waiting to run across a sale, by one get one free, or 10 for the price of 5, something like that. Just didn't happen. Probably won't. Unless I get to the point where I need a few Dollars more to get free shipping on something.
    I just pick up one or two when I think about it.

8. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Too bad these people aren't as concerned about their accuracy then whether or not to fill the butt hole in a Glock.

9. OdinIII

OdinIII

What makes you think that we’re not concerned with accuracy?

10. Gfive45

Gfive45

IAhunter likes this.
  11. Current Resident

Current Resident

All due respect and not wanting to argue at all as you do it for a living. Why do you think the factory doesn't plug the hole and we rely on accessories? If it were so vital for magazine changes during high stress I am curious why the factory does not include this part?

I always presumed that the hole was in the grip for tooling purposes.

12. Shel

Shel

I think you're post makes absolute sense! As I believe someone else mentioned, if you look closely at your glock, you'll see a seam running right down the center of the gun, from the mold.

It makes sense that it would cause manufacturing problems to have one section of the gun much thicker then the rest.

Besides... I just like being able to say "Butt Plug"!

13. Bradd D

Bradd D

That begs the question why is there a thumb cutout at the rear of the magwell?

M 7 likes this.
  14. isp2605

isp2605

It doesn't beg any question. Gen 2 had a cut out in front of the grip. Other generations didn't. Other models did and didn't. If the cut out was so critical for mag removal then why do some have it and some not. So think on that while you're pondering.
    The fact remains the hollow grip is not designed in as a mag removal function. It's due to the way injection molding is done. All these other 'reasons' are the results of internet 'experts' who have never talked to Glock or know anything about why and how different thicknesses of plastic will cool and warp.

Gfive45 likes this.
  15. Bradd D

Bradd D

Why so sensitive? It was just a question.

M 7 likes this.
  16. isp2605

isp2605

And I just answered your question. Wasn't anything at all offensive. Why are you so overly sensitive?
    I just gave you the reason and something to think about if it was so important in one generation why not others. Sometimes just a bit of thinking and knowledge and a person can reason out something for themselves. Sometimes they can't.

17. Bradd D

Bradd D

Is there a model where the rear cutout wasn't used? Also, when did you speak to Glock about the void in the rear of the grip?

M 7 likes this.
  18. M 7

M 7

The terse response you received is the answer to your question, Bradd. Some folks just cannot seem to lighten up....ever. Ignore it. I do.

Fact is, the open portion at the rear of the frame does allow one to obtain a better grip on the rear edge of the magazine base when a little leverage is needed to remove it.

19. Bradd D

Bradd D

I wonder what the hole at the top of the cavity is for. The one that leads to the trigger mechanism housing.

20. OdinIII

OdinIII

The front cutout came on models from Gen 1,2,3 and 5.