Glock 23 Are Grip Plugs a Good Idea?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dj40cal, Aug 3, 2020.

1. OdinIII

OdinIII

If you actually wanted the gun to be as effective as possible then wouldn’t you run a plug or mag well and a mag extension? This would work much better when lives are on the line than the massive mag grabbing notch in the frame.

I practice reloads almost daily. I’m not sure it’s possible to always miss that notch with the mag. It is so much easier with the plug.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  2. Bradd D

Bradd D

In 30 years of shooting Glocks, I've never caught a mag on the thumb notch in the frame.

3. OdinIII

OdinIII

It must be nice not being human. So you are saying that you can reload at you limit of human function and the mag always just slides in perfectly?

I (and others) like the fact that with a properly designed plug we can get the nose of the mag in the mag well and if the body is aligned with the grip that it will always go home with no hitching or binding.

Looks, take it or leave it, I don’t really care other than the branding previously mentioned. I’m just interested in hitting my reloads while on the clock with sometimes dozens of people watching. There is simply too much time wasted if you have to make sure the mag is forward of the notch. That is time you could spend doing something more productive like scoring points or engaging something that needs engaged.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  4. Bradd D

Bradd D

All I can say is that fast or slow I haven't hit the notch with a mag. Perhaps it's a function of muscle memory like other things when shooting a gun. How are people able to hit mag releases and slide stop levers at speed without issue?

5. Bradd D

Bradd D

20200805_092900.jpg

HEXE9 likes this.
  6. OdinIII

OdinIII

I guess I’ve just got sloppy hands. I can’t even reload slow without slightly catching on the notch. To avoid this I have to consciously look and guide the mag in.

7. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

I run them aids in fast mag changes

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

8. GunsNweights87

GunsNweights87

I run jentras they seem to have the smoothest transition with no lip where the mag inserts

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

9. Bradd D

Bradd D

I tried Deep 6 plugs a couple of decades ago and decided they offered no advantage for me. I stopped using them about the same time I stopped using steel guide rods.

sigp6 likes this.
  10. Bradd D

Bradd D

How much faster?

11. JonInWA

JonInWA

The "official" reason given to me by a Glock exec years ago when I personally asked the question is that so ice, snow and condensate would have an exit point-the gun, was, after all, originally designed for the Austrian military, where they tend to have ample snow, ice, condensate... (but I'm also quite sure such a receiver cavity wasn't in the contract specs). Regardless, I suspect that the primary reason for the cavity as was posted earlier in an excellent response by Peng in Post #21 is due to molding technicalities as opposed to any real operational needs.

My preference is to use a plug(Pierce) in all of my Glocks. I'm more concerned about dirt, dust, mud etc. being plunged into the cavity when I sit in a muddy area when hunting, etc. As a hunting back-up gun, my Glocks in that role are normally carried in a tactical thigh rig, so there's a greater than average possibility of the cavity scooping detrius up when I sit down on the ground; the plug is a simple way to prevent that.

Reputable reports have Glocks in tactical environments (particularly arid/desert operational areas) using a plug-either a specific-made one, or a field expedient, such as Speedy 100 MPH tape, etc., used as a cavity cover or wadded up and inserted in the cavity. The cavity is particularly susceptible to foreign media being forcibly introduced via hgh velocity rotorwash, etc-hence the need for closure (literal and allegorical...).

Best, Jon

snowbird.40 likes this.
  12. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Philippians 4: 6-7

I have a plug in one of my Glocks but not the other one. The empty space does collect alot of dust, etc. Does that matter? I don't know.

13. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Don't worry about Glock Perfection. Just your OCD is kicking in. :fred:

colrhino and snowbird.40 like this.
  14. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

The Glock butt plug is the solution for a problem that does not exist. That being said, I have plugs in all my Glocks.

StraightG48 and colrhino like this.
  15. OdinIII

OdinIII

[​IMG]

With the mag in this position, it is not possible to push hard enough toward the mag well to fully seat the mag.

Can anyone truly say that this never happens to them? I’m not talking about a situation where you have to go home and use tools to remove the mag. I’m talking about the mag not smoothly inserting even though you got the nose inside the well and the correct angle. To rectify this you usually just tilt the mag a little or release insertion pressure from the mag and all is well but that issue will cost you almost a second or more. Who is to say how important that second could be to you.

I’d love to observe someone at the range who says that they never miss their reload. Even the best shooters in the nation occasionally have issues and they don’t have a big flat notch taking up 1/4 of their mag well.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  16. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    If Gaston would have wanted you to have a grip plug he’d have issued you one with your pistol. ;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    colrhino and snowbird.40 like this.
  17. Gfive45

Gfive45

No problems so far.

18. billorights

billorights

I heard it was a chute to channel the blast downward when your Glock blows up. :dancingbanana:

I have a Pearce plug in my 19, just because.

19. jhc37013

jhc37013

I can go either way with or without the plug in my hole but I got to have the hump, no I love the hump.

20. jmohme

jmohme

I bought my first Glock in 2011. It was a G19 gen 3
    I took it out of the box and noticed that odd opening behind the magazine.
    I wondered what it was for and then completely forgot about it until this thread.

I can see some logic in a few comments here, but most of you seem to just obsess over silly things.