close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are Glock .40 S&W frames "weak"?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Deputy, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Weak in the sense that the .40 S&W round wears them out quickly. That is apparently one of the claims from the feds and a reason for them going to 9MM. I know the Glock .40 caliber guns are just 9MM frames with a .40 slide. But I never pictured Glocks as having frames that wear out easily. Especially since most police rarely shoot their guns. I bought a Glock 22 last week that was an LEO trade-in. Other than minor holster wear, it looked like brand new. Even the frame and slide rails looked new. When I was on the job, we qualified ONCE a year with 50 rounds of ammo. Most police departments employ armorers that keep a close eye on gun wear and problems. So where are all these "excessive frame wear" claims coming from? There is no "+P+" ammo made in .40 S&W. Forgetabout Buffalo Bore, that is just advertising hype. So where does this claim of excessive frame wear originate? Has anyone on the forum "worn out" their .40 S&W frame? I am sure forum shooter fire their .40s a LOT more than police do.

Here are two articles with claims of "excessive frame wear" being the reason for the return to 9MM:

https://kitup.military.com/2014/07/army-40-caliber-fbi-returns-9mm.html

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/5-reasons-love-40-sw/

james Garrison likes this.
  2. Mike-M

Mike-M

Considering notable past domestic government activities that involved extensive use of lethal force, did the FBI and affiliated organizations wear out any pistols at Ruby Ridge and Waco? :)

I don't find any compelling information related to pistol wear due to use of .40SW in the old articles you cite, particularly with respect to Glock pistols. Glocks in .40SW have been in wide service with US law enforcement agencies for 25 years. If there were some such common problems, articles presenting and discussing them would be in widespead distribution by now. Such articles seem to be rare. The most common .40SW Glock issue was once the loose chamber and large unsupported region above the feed ramp. Glock has improved that over the past 20 years.

I have no worries.

rfd339, Christopher67, Rob62 and 2 others like this.

3. crockett

crockett

Its not the frame...

[​IMG]

rfd339, F14A, Glockwise and 11 others like this.
  4. JamesIra

JamesIra

I really don't recall anyone complaining of their .40 wearing out faster than other calibers. I do recall hearing problems the Military had with cracked frames of the M9's but they are 9mm.

With as many .40 cal Glock's sold in this country, it would have been big news and we would have all heard about it.

rfd339, vba, Pat S and 1 other person like this.
  5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Who can afford, to wear out any caliber, Glock????

:dunno:

rfd339, Toni77, happyguy and 10 others like this.
  6. yfdcap

yfdcap

The Glock 40's are a favorite target of story tellers. Very little is based on fact. What does cause more wear is folks not replacing the recoil spring as often as they should. It is harder on that part than the nine. I have had and still have many Glocks in 40. Couple police trade ins that were actually shot a lot as well. With a spring freshen they are good to go. Take care of them and they will outlast you. Great guns. When someone claims worn out or broken Glocks, I try and get them to actually produce first hand proof. In my experience they will reference old photos or pass on that it was a friend or they read it somewhere. It does happen of course. Just like with all guns.

vba and Rob62 like this.
  7. Mattkcc

Mattkcc

Would not be an issue with law enforcement. The guns aren't fired enough or kept long enough to be an issue. Typical department qualify four times a year 200 rounds, additional training 100-200 per year. Some departments give officers 50 rounds a month for practice, many don't take advantage. Each gun gets inspected couple times a year anything worn is replaced. Departments get new gun at a great price and receive money for trade-ins. Not like the old days when a cop might carry the same revolver for most of his career.

fl_snub_noz and Rob62 like this.
  8. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

OP...NO
    Wile the .40 may cause more wear in general, it's no less any different then any other firearm chambered for a different caliber. Glocks in any caliber are strong. The "reason" you heard is from lack of knowledge from those who claimed that.
    That was like in the lat 80's or early 90's....

9. NCJustice

NCJustice

I had a gen3 23 that went over 15k rounds with just a few recoil spring changes and proper oiling. I've seen gen4 17 guns with alot of wear in the locking block that were never oiled none of which probable had even 1k rounds. The 40SW is not excessive in a Glock frame.

Rob62 and glock1097 like this.
  10. p.d.

p.d.

Well, if it can be done, the government could do it! Financially speaking, of course.

Rob62 and Glockdude1 like this.
  11. Superzuki

Superzuki

12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

It is funny, I have never heard wear/failures as being the reason LE moves from 40S&W to 9mm. I have always heard ammo cost, easier to qualify/shoot for the non-technique focused and of course, the fact that modern 9mm generally gets the job done in the field.

My current G35 has 10's of K rounds through it, other than a trigger spring, no failures whatsoever.

Maybe fake news?

rfd339, Glockwise, vba and 5 others like this.
  13. Kifaru

Kifaru

If you as a private citizen can afford the ammo to wear out the frame of a G22 you can afford to buy another one to replace it

mrmike7189, rfd339, Rob62 and 6 others like this.
  14. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

+15K through my G23. Somewhat the same that I know of through the G22. (bought used)

I'll get back with you on this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,someday.

Glockwise, Rob62 and glock1097 like this.
  15. JBP55

JBP55

Report back when you have 10 times that number of rounds downrange from your G22/G23.
    With proper maintenance they should still be doing well.

Rob62 and Keith Pierson like this.
  16. NDcent

NDcent Socially Inept

If they have the same frame as the 9mm, wouldn't that make the 9mm frame weak, too? :dunno:

17. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

Hysterical forum ninjas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. 153

I've seen a couple of 9mm Glocks & even a Sig 226 with split frames - but so far no .40's! Lot more .40 caliber pistols in my neck of the woods.

Rob62 likes this.
  19. GRR

GRR

Still in the break in period on my 35. I'm over 40,000 and no frame wear evident.

Toni77, Rob62, Cali.Glock and 3 others like this.
  20. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Perhaps I should clarify...I am NOT anti-.40 S&W or a Glock basher. I have 2 other .40 S&W guns (SIG P226 and Beretta M96A1). I really LIKE the caliber. I have two Glock 22s...one new and one LEO trade-in. I don't have a lot of experience with the caliber because when I was on the job I carried a S&W 4566. I was simply ASKING if the rumors floating around about them wearing out quickly because they are using a 9MM frame were true. All I needed was a simple yes or no. Wiseacre comments were NOT requested. It IS a fact that using 9MM +P or +P+ ammo in metal frames WILL wear them out faster than standard pressure ammo. Same with using that ammo in a .38 Special. That's FACT...not internet hype.
    I thank those who suggested I keep the recoil spring fresh to prevent wear. I WILL replace the one in my LEO gun because I really don't know how many rounds were fired in it. Best to play it safe.

BTW...hi 153...good too see you bro! ;)

yfdcap likes this.